Class specific quests & strongholds?

Who would like to see class specific quests and if not different strongholds, at least add ons or transformations to the characters stronghold that can only be accessed as a specific class BG2 style?

This would surely increase replayability and make character class feel more integrated into the world other than just a gameplay mechanic.

• Like 1

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

I'd welcome unique class-based developments for the stronghold based on class, but it could get complicated with all the multiclassing options. It doesn't seem like there'll be different strongholds, so I don't think that BG 2's way of handling this would apply.

It might be better to tie stronghold customization to faction relationships and dispositions.

• Like 2

Or perhaps customisations based on both faction disposition (even if largely cosmetic in terms of appearance and guards etc), with scripts and quests, AND classed based additions to the one stronghold.

So for eg they may have one or two sections in the one stronghold that can either unlock a wizards spire/tower, a thieves guild, or something a bit more original for PoE, that are unlocked via class specific quests.

I terms of multiclassed characters, it could be based on their original vanilla class for eg, or choosing one vanilla class (even if a sub) quest will block the second.

Edited by PneumaticFire

I wouldn't like that, it would presume too much about the player character just based on their class name. Just because I'm playing a rogue doesn't mean I'm a thief or want a gambling den in my stronghold, it just means I don't have any fancy magic, can't sing, don't have a pet and I'm too weak to be a front line fighter. Simply a scientist trying not to die after getting ninja Watcher'd.

Customization would be nice, but it'd be better to be based on your decisions and maybe attract visitors according to your reputation in the world (shady characters get their gambling den) or relationships with different factions.

• Like 1

I wouldn't like that, it would presume too much about the player character just based on their class name. Just because I'm playing a rogue doesn't mean I'm a thief or want a gambling den in my stronghold, it just means I don't have any fancy magic, can't sing, don't have a pet and I'm too weak to be a front line fighter. Simply a scientist trying not to die after getting ninja Watcher'd.

Customization would be nice, but it'd be better to be based on your decisions and maybe attract visitors according to your reputation in the world (shady characters get their gambling den) or relationships with different factions.

​I agree here. I'm not trying to role-play my class. I'm trying to role-play my background, which might have some loose-correlation with my class. I think instead their should be stronger integrated content with backgrounds. Then you can pursue or get access to certain content depending on how you play the game, not just on what gets set on chargen. We already have our attribute decisions on chargen to deal with. Leave some stuff dynamic, it makes everything so much better.

• Like 3

​I agree here. I'm not trying to role-play my class. I'm trying to role-play my background, which might have some loose-correlation with my class.

Exactly, if my benevolent/rational/honest scientist from Living Lands suddenly got a thieves guild class quest it wouldn't make sense. How'd they even know my class, they meta-saw I did a sneak attack in the combat log?

Some classes are more connected with specific background. That's why in PoE1 priests and paladins had specific dialogue options and that was great. Ciphers have specific powers, they should be able to use them in conversations. Wizards know stuff about magic. But some classes are pretty generic. Fighters and rogues are ordinary people (and probably barbarians as well), they only differ in combat mechanics. That's why we have backgrounds. And I wouldn't really mind if there was "[Rogue] I know all about stealing!" in conversation, I'd just pick a different option, but things like forcing specific stronghold customization or class quests wouldn't be great.

Edited by Nicze
  • Like 1

I imagine that there are just too many classes in PoE to include separate strongholds for each, although a couple of choices would be nice. But didn't someone say that we're going with ships for bases this time round anyway?

Oooh if this is the case perhaps at the very least some broadly based class quests and/or more detailed dialogue.

Yeah, some classes are more closely tied to an identity eg I'd love to see a priest do a quest for their God, or a Paladin for something equivalent to a Holy Avenger item for their order/disposition.

Or a wizard for a school (if their subclasses go in that direction).

Ultimately I'd just like to see a class be recognised more in the game world, just like race would/is.

I imagine that there are just too many classes in PoE to include separate strongholds for each, although a couple of choices would be nice. But didn't someone say that we're going with ships for bases this time round anyway?

Oooh if this is the case perhaps at the very least some broadly based class quests and/or more detailed dialogue.

Yeah, some classes are more closely tied to an identity eg I'd love to see a priest do a quest for their God, or a Paladin for something equivalent to a Holy Avenger item for their order/disposition.

Or a wizard for a school (if their subclasses go in that direction).

Ultimately I'd just like to see a class be recognised more in the game world, just like race would/is.

I agree 100%. As a fighter, you go off to challenge a master swordsman, as a wizard, you get challegned to a magic duel etc. etc. This would definitely help with replayability. But you know the sad design philosophy: don't waste resources creating content that only a few players will see.

Maybe npc companions can undertake their class quests in the party where they have to play a key role and be present in the party for it to occur (maybe even text based interactions that do skill checks on that class in your party as well. That way they're still distinct and add more depth to classes, but everyone can experience them if they have one party member eligible for it.

And I wouldn't really mind if there was "[Rogue] I know all about stealing!" in conversation, I'd just pick a different option, but things like forcing specific stronghold customization or class quests wouldn't be great.

It sounds like pickpocketing is in as a general skill, so between that and stealth I wouldn't expect much in dialogue that's rogue-specific. There's still backstabbing, eye-gouging, and hamstringing to sort through in their kit, but that's stepping into [Cruel] territory rather than class dialogue options, I'd think.

As far as stronghold customization is concerned, I'd definitely agree that tying it in with class shouldn't be obligatory but having optional features based on class would be fine in my opinion. I wouldn't mind background-based stronghold options either, but there are even more of those than classes. Perhaps in both cases it the options should be geared more towards things like optional hirees, stronghold quests (which I now wish I had asked about during the Q&A), and gear that merchants sell to you. I'd suggest that tying customization to skills might be an option that would touch more closely upon background, but it sounds like there will be around as many skills as backgrounds.

One way to bring a lot of this together would be through quests related to claiming, developing, and/or defending the strongholds. Such quests could potentially integrate options based on class, skills, and/or backgrounds (e.g., a mercenary of any class might have an option that you'd otherwise have to be a fighter or barbarian to unlock) and stronghold customization options could be partially based on the ways in which you resolved these quests.

But didn't someone say that we're going with ships for bases this time round anyway?

I've heard Sawyer state on more than one occasion that we wouldn't be getting another keep, per se, but I don't recall him or any other developers stating what we'd gain in its place. I think that what we've been hearing about the ship is mostly assumption (though I could be wrong - I haven't read, watched, or listened to everything out there), but it's a very reasonable one given the setting and travel requirements.

Edited by blotter

Who would like to see class specific quests and if not different strongholds, at least add ons or transformations to the characters stronghold that can only be accessed as a specific class BG2 style?

This would surely increase replayability and make character class feel more integrated into the world other than just a gameplay mechanic.

I would love to see that as an option very much

Stronghold seems to be a ship in PoE2.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I'd like class-specific things, be it customisations or quests.

Even if the customisation options were open to any class, but mutually exclusive and made more sense for some classes than others (so you're not stuck with the aforementioned gambling den for your rogue, but you can't have that AND the temple of anti-gambling in the same playthrough).  So I could choose my druid-leaning garden of knobbly trees for my druid, or have it even if I play a wizard.  But my wizard tower of lightning-bolts needs to be built on the same spot so I must choose which fits my character best.

I'm pretty sure we're getting a ship - but having the option to decorate / assign a room to be the 'den of mother nature' or  the 'library of the arcane' would be sweet.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I'm partial to a Frigate, but I guess I wouldn't mind a Galleon either.

Actually I'm fine with most anything, just so long as we don't get a Brig.

Why no brig?  I figured they'd use that a la PoE 1's dungeon - take prisoners.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

A Brig is a kind of ship. It's a variation of the Brigantine.

And the PC in Assassin's Creed IV already got a Brig, so it'd be nice to have a different kind of ship.

• Like 2

I am fine with 1 stronghold + 1 ship for travel. But with some quests and meanigful content.

Class/race specific content... that is alot of work, so really depends on devtime. Something for godlikes would be nice.

Edited by evilcat

And the PC in Assassin's Creed IV already got a Brig, so it'd be nice to have a different kind of ship.

You learn something every day.

I was thinking of "throw him in the brig" - didn't know it was a kind of ship - cheers :)

Why no brig? I figured they'd use that a la PoE 1's dungeon - take prisoners.

You learn something every day.

I was thinking of "throw him in the brig" - didn't know it was a kind of ship - cheers :)

Same origin.

Originally they threw mutineers in "the brig"

Rather than having a specific upgradable ship, they could go for buying a completly new, more awesome ship when you have enough dosh.

Oh yeah, and navel combat minigame.

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!