#Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream with Josh Sawyer and Carrie Patel

Hey everyone!

Round 3 of our #Deadfire Q&A streams is happening later today with Josh and Carrie! If you would like your question to be answered live on stream, let us know by tweeting us at WorldofEternity and make sure you use the hashtag #Deadfire. You are also free to list your questions here, but please note that we may not get to all of your questions, but we'll do the best we can. 

vjTrTL7.jpg

• Like 1

Will some classes be redisgned to accmodate per encounter abilties dominating, particularly Chanters and Ciphers who theoretically have unlimited spells per encounter?

If no to above, will something be done to speed up Chanter use of invocations which were rarely used outside of PotD or long battles?

Make the next stretch goal a dwarf chanter companion.

Will there be codpiece revolvers like Sex Machine had in From Dusk Till Dawn?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oops. Scratch the old question! 

New questions: 

Will playing as a fire godlike elicit strong reactions from the native Huana? Will there be instances where we can convince appropriate NPCs that we can trigger volcanic eruptions? 

Will the state we left Stalwart in impact the availability of Durgan steel in Deadfire? 

We encountered Helig, Pandgram's assistant, in Pillars. What are the chances we are going run into Pandgram in Deadfire? 

Just how unstoppable is an Effigy? 

Just how important was Od Nua to the advancement of animancy during Engwithan times? In the Endless Paths we see souls being turned into blights,  full scale production of animats, and machines that resemble the ones used by the Leaden Key. Was Od Nua essentially acting as a patron for the development and refinement of these techniques?

Edited by DozingDragon

• Will a certain end-game choice from Pillars of Eternity (hint: siding with Woedica) enable the Watcher to join the Steel Garrote?
  • Is Woedica still playing a role in the game? The Guide Book volume I hinted at her being an ally of Eothas's.
  • Is the in-game book "The Great Western Stag" from Pillars 1 foreshadowing? ;)

EDIT: Bonus question—is your choice to side with Woedica at the end of Pillars playing a major role in how the gods are organized/acting in Deadfire, as well as their disposition toward you?

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Posting what I asked on the other thread before the announcement...

So... Recently I've been thinking a bit about how souls work in Pillars, and I was hoping I could hear Josh's thoughts on the following: it is my understanding (though I may be wrong) that as time goes by, souls split up to accomodate a growing lifeform population in Eora, each soul fragment growing increasingly weaker and slowly giving out to a process of entropy. If we look backwards in time, then, to what extent is the opposite true? To what extent do all souls reach to one "original soul", and (assuming it is within his powers to do so) if a Watcher were to look back on the history of souls, would he reach a common memory shared across all soul fragments (think somewhat in the style of Akira or Altered States for example, though not necessarily as nightmarish)? If so, will we see more of it in Deadfire? Or am I wildly missing the mark here? :p

Thanks in advance, loved the first game and am greatly looking forward to the second installment.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The example of a flaming sword can up in the callofcthulhu twitch today. So josh said the flaming sword will be the flaming sword in the game (implying the only one) which is fine but what if you find that weapon early in the game. Does this mean in the late game the sword will be useless because it can be enchanting to keep up? I mean if you cant find another flaming sword why not let players upgrade it.

sorry not a narrative or lore question. Didnt read the post before i wrote

Edited by jnb0364

Who are the narrative designers?

Josh Sawyer, Megan Starks, Paul Kirsch, and Carrie Patel.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Will we see improvements on Beastery? Can we read a book about a certain type of beast and fill the pages of beastery before we kill lots of them?

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Will we see improvements on Beastery? Can we read a book about a certain type of beast and fill the pages of beastery before we kill lots of them?

+1 to this one (or from gossip, reading npcs' minds etc.)

1. How do you plan integrate the new companions relationship stretch goal within the dispositions system?

2. The more depth is given to the companions, the more obvious is the gap to the less developed NPCs. Do you plan also improve personalities of nonparty NPCs?

3. In the Eder example you have mentioned 5 opinion tags, how many narrative variables can we expect to be tracked for a companion, and are expressed attitudes the only relationship defining parameters?

4. Do you plan integrate classes more into the ingame society lore this time, or will it stay as mainly combat mechanic system?

5. Can you tell us about any favorite nonparty NPC you are writing / designing?

6. I would like to know more about the game's time flow -- how much time advances from the end of Pillars 1, and how considerable is the Deadfire adventure in proportion to the hero's lifespan.

Edited by ushas
  • Like 1

* How do you plan on keeping Paladins relevant, particularly in the wake of multiclassing?

PoE1 patches made improvements to Paladins, however they still felt mediocre & outclassed by other class builds in what was supposed to be their strengths ie fighters and clerics & didn't feel too distinct as a class in their own right.

What unique and relatively effective abilities and attributes will the Paladin receive (if any), to prevent them becoming redundant to fighter/cleric builds for eg?

Even with a party size reduced to 5, there are enough class archetypes can fill each role.

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

I want to know more about the types of ships. If Maia Rua is coming from Rauataui with a courtier from the Ranga Nui, it should be a pretty massive battleship? (Kana mentions the cannons in Rauataui) But can the ship be... 3, 4, 5, 6 levels high? How big can the ships be?

​Also, Drake Riders? (Huana being all blue, far-fetched possible Avatar inspiration? Ikran?) Suikoden (first one) has the element as well, and in Suikoden 5 there's the lake knights riding velociraptors.

​Speaking of ships and traveling, will the Player have one that they can upgrade? What sort of upgrades? Is there going to be naval combat, and how would it function? Random Encounter, fight ship vs ship RTwP Black Flag style in isometric, or Scripted Event, or ship-to-ship, hull-to-hull, battle scene (Heroes of Might & Magic)?

​Furthermore, has the World Map Global Turns changed in any significant way, and are there any other new Turn Based elements?

And how do we travel on the World Map in Deadfire? Is it:
​A) The same, BG, BG2, IWD, IWD2, POE, PS:T, you get a map and icons to click (Fast-Travel Map to Map)
​B) Fallout 1 & 2, you travel over a grid, random encounters can happen
​C) Divine Divinity, open world map
D) Combo. RTwP open world, but can fast travel to discovered locations

On lore:
​- More of a relationship question, about Maia Rua, if you sacrifice Kana Rua during or after Blood Legacy, would she become hostile if she learned what you did to Kana? Would you be able to negate it by having a 2-man party (MC+Kana), thus leaving no witnesses, and neither Eder, Pallegina, or Aloth, would be able to spill the beans to Maia? How would she react? "You DID WHAT!?" *attacks* or would she be like *shrug*?

​I'm just curious, I haven't played a Cruel character yet, and Kana is one of my favorites, but to shorten the question: Can companions get hostile (figuratively and literally) reactions to your behavior? (Kill enough animals = Eder eventually fights you)

​- What are the different factions, and what are their various politics, and how does Eothas stirr the pot around? All against one enemy type of unification, Games of Thrones backstabbing and counter-stabbing? Like in New Vegas, are we fed into various factions and can choose different paths? Ally with one faction, fight the other one?

​- Are there refugees from Dyrwood, what sort of damage and message does Eothas send to Eora, across the whole world and how does it react to it? Like, Messengers who survive in Dyrwood, run to Valia, Ixamitl, spread the news, literally. If that's the case, would the world watch as Eothas rummages about the Deadfire?

​Usually the games are about 10-12 months in-game time~ give or take (I think I'm on my 8th Month on my main character), how long would it take for a message to be sent across the world in Eora, and how much time would it take before the world stopped watching? Would Valia send in more troops? Zealots and fanatics who hear about Eothas return?

​I.E. How is the world reacting to Eothas return?

- Do our final choices matter, and cause some sort of reaction? Maybe you shouldn't answer that one if you see this one but, well, "Yes/No" if you do :p

1. Will we have the ability to customize multiclass titles?

2. Are there any notable monastic orders that we'll have opportunities to interact with while we visit the Deadfire Archipelago?

3. Will disposition ranks from imported saves affect returning NPCs' attitudes toward the watcher?

4. Are we going to have more options for dealing with prisoners (assuming we still have the option to take them?)

5. Will we see any examples of NPCs pushing the limits of their classes in ways akin to Concelhaut's magical research and Llengrath's transference of knowledge? Will we encounter or hear about Cipher or Chanter equivalents to archmages, for example?

6. Can hostile factions put bounties out on the Watcher?

7. Will there be any Watcher talents that are selectable at level up as opposed to being awarded through story events alone?

8. Will the racial talents of Godlike be revised to be more proportional to the loss of helmets?

Custom map markers?

This! I was thinking about it the other day, and how awesome wouldn't it be if you could see a list of custom map markers on the World Map interface? E.g. Notes, Tooltip~ when you hover over a location on the World Map, you'd see a list. Maybe you encountered a tough foe and you can't fight it at the time, so you leave a map marker. But on the World Map interface you wouldn't see it. That's what I'm suggesting.

Example:

​- Mouse hover over "Dyrford Crossing" on the World Map

​- To the side of the location, your notes would appear

​*Lurkers

*Wolves

​*Egg

​Etc.

​- When you enter the map, you'd see the "Lurkers" note where you put it.

​Would be a really helpful tool!

Edited by Osvir

Alright, so a few questions that I have:

1. Will there be more reactivity for followers of Eothas? My biggest gripe with the first game was the fact that you could not bring up your belief with Durance or give a prayer to your god at the God's Meet at the end of the game, these two seemed like glaring missed opportunities.

2. Will there be content for those who had their companions meet a bad end (even if they got all the way to the end)? Like a family member that we can encounter or a quest to find out a companions ultimate fate?

3. Will pathfinding AI be improved along with engagement?  I'd like it a lot more if disengagement was just a very long action that precludes other actions, instead of a free attack punish which punishes you severely for even tiny misclicks.

4. Will character models be able to interact with the environment? Such as a sailor sitting down on a crate or shopkeep leaning over a table? Such details make the world a lot more immersive.

5 Will there be a scene with the party getting swallowed alive by a leviathan?

Am I still in time?

1. Will there be any new appearance customization options when character building? Specifically, will there be different body types like fat, tall etc.?

2. Will Godlike play a bigger role in the story this time round?

3. Can you dual wield shields to make the ultimate tank character?!

• Like 1

Q&A's over for this week.

In regards to question #1, the Sawyer's interview at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122300066 does get into customization options a bit. It sounds like it'll be on par with Pillars 1 with a larger color palette to select from.

Sawyer mentioned in the previous Q&A (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120695299?t=47m54s) that people would react more to godlike but they were trying to avoid pointing it out so often that it became tedious.

Good luck getting #3 answered.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

Q&A's over for this week.

In regards to question #1, the Sawyer's interview at https://www.twitch.tv/videos/122300066 does get into customization options a bit. It sounds like it'll be on par with Pillars 1 with a larger color palette to select from.

Sawyer mentioned in the previous Q&A (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/120695299?t=47m54s) that people would react more to godlike but they were trying to avoid pointing it out so often that it became tedious.

Good luck getting #3 answered.

Thanks mate, will watch the interview when I get home!

Query: Is there going to be a written transcript of the Q&A of this?

I think that there were such things for the 1st and 2nd sessions. Would prefer to read it, than watch it.

Such conditions have I.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I think that there were such things for the 1st and 2nd sessions. Would prefer to read it, than watch it.

Such conditions have I.

I think that depends if someone is industrious enough to make such a thing. Transcripts take a long time to type out ;)

Such conditions have I.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Q&A Stream #3 Transcript by Fereed:

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5ueus0/pillars_of_eternity_ii_deadfire_qa_stream_3/?st=iz8l42og&sh=9348345f

Edit: oj sorry MaxQuest

To PS: I think it was meant to be more Lore related Q&A this time?

Edited by ushas
  • Like 3