Unbelievably Premature Party Planning, Ahoy!

It is great that this time i can pick my favorite characters but still have alot of freedom with what they do.

Like have Eder, and make him Rogue DPS with dual sabers (yarrr). Or give him fuzzy animal companion.

I can play with same crew 2 times, but each time with completly different class set.

wow wow wow.

Gosh this got difficult. I pretty much go through these games on story mode, so the personalities matter more to me than the class builds.

My Watcher (pure Ranger), of course.

Aloth - Best buds with my Watcher at the end of POE1, so he's with the party by default.

Pallegina - My second favorite companion, but I always felt she was a little underdeveloped. Time to remedy that!

Sarafen - He seems like he has a really interesting backstory, and I want to hear it.

Maia - She just seems awesome. If she's not, I'll swap her out for Eder.

Continuing my POE adventures, I go for a 3/2 front/rear split or a 2/2 split with the final character equally useful in front and rear.

With the way multiclassing is described it will likely frequently be desirable to pick up 1 level of something that has complementary class talents at low to medium levels, such that you can get it from the 1 level investment plus secondary bonuses from the primary class, so I expect a great deal of major/minor multiclassing but little moderate/moderate multiclassing and singleclassing.

But let's see how that works and, regardless, I don't want to multiclass anybody in a way that doesn't seem compatible with their personality.

Blaster party:

This party is based around my mighty genius elf blaster wizard superstar who is as nimble as a cat and has roughly the same attention span (maximized str, dex, and int, rest in per... 3 con and res) who can really lay down the smack with evocations, so it is important that the rest of the party is low-upkeep and durable since any use of defensive abilities will be used on keeping the wizard alive while he does so. Possessed of a rather amoral worldview, though harbouring some loyalty to friends and allies, this wizard gained the power of the machine in Heritage Hill but refused to sacrifice any companion to the pool of blood.

Main (wizard) - doubt I'll multiclass unless one of the other classes has something very, very, tempting to pick up with only a single class level or two + secondary boosting (e.g. talents that synergize well with the blasting role by increasing damage or providing substantial defenses). You can only do one thing at a time, after all, so gaining higher level spells and as many of them as possible will always be a high priority.

Eder (fighter or fighter/rogue) - probably straight-forward fighter here, but let's see what rogue might provide.

Pallegina (paladin or paladin/fighter) - She rewrote the trade treaty on my wizard's suggestion, but what with him using the souls to strengthen the Dyrwood it ended up a wash - sure, she was banished and had to suffer in exile, but they ended up seeing the wisdom of her actions and how it all worked out for the best so she was recalled. As a paladin of the five suns with a rogue streak, who got over doubting her own purpose or judgement, I doubt she'll multiclass unless it is to take a few levels of fighter to pick up complementary talents.

Xoti (priest, priest/monk, or monk/priest) - assuming that once again the most important defensive spells will be low to mid-level, multiclassing away from priest for more durability and damage may work, and as the character concept has Xoti start as priest or monk combining the two should work well while being in character, perhaps even as balanced classes. Moreover, as the supreme focus for this group will be on the wizard-mains spells, the priest will be hitting stuff more often than spellcasting.

Mr. Unknown (chanter or chanter/ranger) - since the only classes missing from the companion lineup right now are chanter and druid, I am assuming that mr. Unknown starts as chanter/druid, and I'll take him as a ranged chanter with a focus on passive buffing, who'll stay pure chanter or pick up a bit of ranger for enhanced archery abilities.

Front: Pallegina, Eder, Xoti

Rear: Wizard main, Mr. Unknown

Faith keeper party:

This party is based around a passionate priestess of Eothas that stayed faithful and went through Pillars 1 wondering at just how unresponsive the game was to the many, many, situations where being a priestess of Eothas ought to have resulted in some sort of interaction with those who knew of it. A genunine do-gooder, who is benevolent, honest, and passionate, she obviously neither sacrificed innocents at Heritage Hill nor companions at the pool of blood.

Main (priest of Eothas or priest of Eothas/kind wayfarer paladin) - like my blaster wizard above, unlikely to multiclass as I'll want to focus on her spells, but if I do then given her experiences and having her keep blown up I could see her multiclassing into kind wayfarer if that is allowed. Eothas is Benevolent/Honest and kind warfarer is Benevolent/Passionate so it should be compatible.

Eder (fighter or fighter/rogue) - hopefully this time around there will be a bit of interaction based on me being a frigging priest of Eothas; The way he almost completely ignored that in Pillars 1 was rather jarring. If the main picks up a fair number of paladin levels and thus becomes a strong front line presence, Eder could pick up more rogue levels - perhaps even a balanced split.

Aloth (wizard or wizard/cipher) - to differentiate from my blaster party, he plays dedicated support, debuffing, and control. With Aloth and Isilmyr working together after their resolution in Pillars 1, I could see his mind doing strange things making him a wizard/cipher. But only if that would work somehow. If there's no way for either of the classes to boost the other this would be silly. But perhaps something like rolling with minor blights would generate focus?  and make Aloth focus on the cipher aspect? Or perhaps just picking one or two levels of cipher would ultimately (with secondary boosts from the wizard levels) end up providing something nice to use as an additional option based on focus granted automatically at the start of encounters, i.e. letting Aloth focus on spells but having enough focus for 2-3 useful lowlevel cipher abilities (which if they are anything like Pillars 1 will still be very useful).

Serafen (barbarian, barbarian/fighter, or barbarian/rogue) - need somebody on the frontline, and a raging orlan barbarian is as good a choice as any. Singleclass unless the personality would fit either multiclass, in which case fighter or rogue would be picked up for a level or two for lowlevel talents/abilities.

Maia Rua (ranger, ranger/fighter, or ranger/rogue) -Kana Rua was a good friend, so having her along as a ranged ranger seems appropriate. Since she's likely to have a "I'm definitely not a chanter like my brother" personality, the most obvious ranged ranger multiclass is right out but perhaps a bit of fighter or rogue might fit with her character and be useful; who knows.

Front: Serafen, Eder

Rear: Aloth, Maia

Roving: Priestess main, Maia's pet

----

Special case. If it is possible to multiclass priest/paladin the way I think in continuing my Faith Keeper party, it might be fun to roleplay some of the other combinations, such as:

The ultimate mercenary:  Gold Pact Knight (Stoic/Rational)/Priest of Berath (Stoic/Rational). Preferred: 2xStoic, 2xRational.  Condemned: 2xPassionate, Aggressive, Cruel.  Use a great sword and balance the scales.

Or for a truly underhanded scoundrel who is too smart for his own good, how about a

Darcozzi Paladin/Priest of  Wael, old Valian for preference to be in keeping with the character. Preferred: 2xClever, Passionate, Dishonest.  Condemned: Rational, Honest, Cruel, Stoic. With a light step and quarterstaff or rod in hand, you do what is necessary even if few people understand your motives.

But let's see how the priests and paladins end up. Talking about premature concusions. :geek:

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Eek, while my main was maxed on Benevolent, he did take the Machine's Gift. I'm gonna regret that aren't I?

I've been doing some quick comparisons for level breakdowns:

18/2 -> Ends up being 18/8 for level abilities, decent for a dip.

15/5-> Ends up being 16/10, which is a good mix, I'll have to check how that jives with the level break points.

12/8 -> 14/12, I'm not sure about this one, a bit too diffuse.

If Paladins still don't have many active abilities, I'll dip Pallegina into a cipher so that all those normal weapon swings she does can generate focus. Eder could dip into a Paladin to get an aura and those defensive bonuses to help with his tanking, Aloth will get Chanter levels so that he'll be able to buff the whole party AND generate a secondary resource while casting his wizard spells. The fifth party member I'm not so sure about.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Pallegina Avian godlike (Paladin) (And Maia Rua's Animal Companion perching next to her)

Unidentified Moon godlike Amaua (at least I think he's a moon godlike) (Class Unknown)

Aloth Wood Elf (Wizard)

Eder Meadowfolk Human (Rogue/Fighter)

Maia Rua Island Aumaua (Ranger)

Xoti Meadowfolk/Savannahfolk Human (Priest/Monk)

Serafen Wild Orlan (Cipher/Barbarian)

The moon godlike looks like a chanter/druid.

But where's the token dwarf? Passed out drunk under the table?

• Like 1

Pallegina Avian godlike (Paladin) (And Maia Rua's Animal Companion perching next to her)

Unidentified Moon godlike Amaua (at least I think he's a moon godlike) (Class Unknown)

Aloth Wood Elf (Wizard)

Eder Meadowfolk Human (Rogue/Fighter)

Maia Rua Island Aumaua (Ranger)

Xoti Meadowfolk/Savannahfolk Human (Priest/Monk)

Serafen Wild Orlan (Cipher/Barbarian)

The moon godlike looks like a chanter/druid.

But where's the token dwarf? Passed out drunk under the table?

I hope so, I want my trusty rowdy dwarf :)

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

My Paladin Death Godlike Watcher. I want him to become a Cipher, so Paladin/Cipher.

Eder, since he was my best friend and favorite companion. Plus, he need to deal with Eothas with me. (Fighter/priest of Eothas).

Pallegina, I don't want to be the only godlike in the party. Also, she is my other good friend. Myself, Eder, and Pallegina basically carried the whole party. (Paladin/Fighter).

Serafen, I just love the little orlans. Hiravias brought so much to the party. Hopefully Serafen offers just as much comic relief. (Cipher/Ranger?)

The unidentified companion. 

No one expected the Death Godlike to save the day #DeathDwarf#DeathWatcher#OnceuponaDwarf

"A drink for every person that heard I was a cipher and thought he must be an orlan." #Aptapo#CipherDwarf

Thus far, it seems like multiclassing is the way to go; characters don't appear to lose a lot from dipping a level into another class. Sure, you delay power gain in your main class - so do more side quests! Mechanically, piling up passive bonuses/buffs/debuffs seems prudent, particularly for PotD (the only way to play!)

TANK - Paladin/fighter. Impervious pally tankiness, plus buff aura, plus pseudo-priest support utility, plus Sacred Immolation ... then tack on some auto-healing, engagements, and a couple knockdowns. This build might work better with a few fighter levels.

SUPPORT - Priest/chanter dip. All the tastiness of a priest... plus customizable buff/debuff auras.

MELEE - Barbarian/cipher dip. AoE melee monster, with debuff shouts and some durability... plus extra damage from whips, lasers, and CC.

RANGED - Cipher/rogue dip. Just a sniper cipher with sneak attack. BOOM HEADSHOT.

WILDCARD - Wizard/chanter dip. AoE blasting, CC... plus customizable buff/debuff auras.

Translated into potential companions:

Eder or Pallegina tanking; Xoti or Mysterious Blue Man (if he's a chanter) as support; Serafen locking down the barb/cipher spot; Aloth a shoe-in at wizard... leaving cipher/rogue as a strong main character candidate. Hmm. Might need to do a cipher run of PoE1... I typically play paladins, but it looks like there'll be competition for that tank spot even without the main character factored in.