Unbelievably Premature Party Planning, Ahoy!

So this picture has basically revealed (I believe) most of our bosom companions on this voyage:

https%20_d3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net_c

Round the table clockwise from the left, we have:

Pallegina Avian godlike (Paladin) (And Maia Rua's Animal Companion perching next to her)
Unidentified Moon godlike Amaua (at least I think he's a moon godlike) (Class Unknown)
Aloth Wood Elf (Wizard)
Eder Meadowfolk Human (Rogue/Fighter)
Maia Rua Island Aumaua (Ranger)
Xoti Meadowfolk/Savannahfolk Human (Priest/Monk)
Serafen Wild Orlan (Cipher/Barbarian)

Now for the obviously premature part, who am I going to take a long for this Long Strange Trip?

I'm probably importing my final save, where my main was a rather amicable salt of the earth Rautai expatriate Coastal Aumaua Monk (had a bad habit of running his face into fists and still winning). He was a good off-tank, DPS. Might multi him as a Druid if there is any good interplay between Spirit shape and unarmed strike.

If we use that as the starting point, I probably want a full time tank...

Pallegina and Eder are perfect for the job, but since Pallegina has to have a level of Paladin, I'll keep her at it. Eder I have other plans for.

Should I Multiclass her? Chanter might be good, I've always wanted a melee chanter. Lets call her a Paladin/Chanter then.

I still need another DPS though, hmmm, Eder can start off as a Rogue now, can't he, and one of the best Rogue builds was twin Sabre! Eder loves his slashy swords. I might multi him out as either a Ranger (so he can have a pet) or Barbarian (for even more DPS).

Thats the front row taken care off, so who is in the back?

We need some buffing for our front fellas so our friend Xoti is probably perfect for that. I wonder what I could Multi her to? Well if they still have the Ranged Attack speed boosting chant for the back row, maybe it might be worth having another chanter for the back? (So that it isn't a choice what chants are running) Priest/Chanter, ultimate support/summon?

And finally, lets round out the party with even more DPS, Maia Rua with her pet makes for an almost 6 person party, and lets keep her in arquebuses (since she's an Island Aumaua, they might get Armed to the Teeth back, with the right talents (Quick Switch, Arms Bearer), she can have 4 of the things to start off combat with). And... some control, I think. I really miss Grieving Mother's Cipher screw-you, so that might be a good class what with all the focus she can generate to start out with.

So lineup:

Main Character Coastal Aumaua Monk (possibly / Druid) - Off Tank, DPS

Pallegina (Paladin/Chanter) - Tank

Eder (Rogue/Barbarian or Rogue/Ranger) - DPS

Xoti (Priest/Chanter) - Support

Maia Rua (Ranger/Cipher) - DPS, Crowd Control.

There you have it (I also wanted Xoti and Eder to be on the same team so I could see the religious sparks fly). Whats your team going to be?

Edited by prototype00

It's indeed premature :)

But, with the information we have, I am inclined to try:
- Aloth: wizard + cipher (especially if blast/minor-blights generates focus); or wizard + barb (citzal style)
- Eder: rogue + monk (deathblows torment's reach); rogue + priest (deathblows shining beacons); or fighter + monk (if take the hit generates wounds)
- Pallegina: paladin + fighter (lady of the pain style); could be paladin/chanter if there will be a way to combine Immolation with Dragon Thrashed
- Maia Rua: ranger + cipher (twin arrows + driving fight focus generation)
- And for MC: cipher + monk (if there will be no hp/endurance split and Torment's Reach generates focus)

Edited by MaxQuest

And here I read that as you wanting to have a party to celebrate the release of PoE2 :lol:

As for my musings:

Main for first game will be my imported Human Druid - if there's a spiritshift sub-class I might go with that.

Then: Eder - fighter, Pallegina - Paladin, Aloth - Wizard, Serafen - Cipher

May or may not multi-class Eder and cipher dude.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Based on what little we have now - my 'canon' Watcher will take Edér and Pallegina because they were in her party in POE1 and they're friends. Planning to keep Pallegina as a pure Paladin. I want Edér to tank, but if he can do that as a Fighter/Ranger then he's getting a pet of his own. Third companion will proooobably be Xoti as a Priest if I find Priests as useful as I did in the first game. (Besides, I want to hear her Eothas-related conversations with Edér ...) That's not set in stone, though, and party depends on how Paladins and Druids work in regards to healing and buffing. (My Watcher is a Druid.)

Anyway, after that I'll rotate everyone else through the fifth party slot until I find somebody I can't live without.

I'm continuing with my first character, Hearth Orlan Barbarian (who happens to be from the Deadfire too). Pallegina, Aloth, and Eder, are coming along too (most playtime with them from Pillars 1).

​That puts it up to 4... man, now I really want 6 party members :p

​I want either Maia Rua (because I dig Kana Rua a lot), or Serafen (Cipher/Barbarian) because he's an Orlan.

​My main, Byorgh II (the former died during the Backer Beta), is either going to Multi-Class into Fighter, or Cipher. Haven't decided. Barbarian/Rogue maybe.. hmm... does Sneak Attack & Carnage stack?
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/156901222832556251/A505EEBF1A98269E01CD0FCBDEE31BD86BF83E75/ - Melee DPS

I'm also working on a Barbarian Dragoon build (with lots of success), with Pike and Plate Armor. Noticed now it's supposed to be Wild Sprint, and not Thick-Skinned also. Great for positioning, and getting that extra range on the Barbarian's Carnage is golden. Can safely stand behind Eder, but also tank well.
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/156901222832591621/24300FCF560E24963A7FB7C60B7FD90F399BD381/ - Melee DPS

​Tank
​- Eder being a God Tank, as he is, Fighter/Fighter. Tank/Tank. Level 20 Fighter.

Damage
- Aloth, Wizard/Priest, without Iselmyr, Wizard/Rogue, with Iselmyr. Level 12 Wizard/Level 8 Priest/Rogue
​- MC, Barbarian/Rogue, Barbarian/Druid, Barbarian/Cipher, Barbarian/Fighter, Barbarian/Monk. Haven't quite decided. Might try another class completely. Barbarian 16/Other 4

Scout & Support
- Serafen, Cipher/Ranger or Cipher/Rogue. Depends on if the Ranger has to​ have an Animal Companion, or if it's a "Talent" or "Ability". I.E. Beastmaster builds, having 1-4 Pets (get more or make the first one stronger?), or a pure Hunter/Archer build, Bow & Arrow, or maybe even a Gunner build (Dual-Wielding). Ranged DPS and Mechanics/Trap Detector. Cipher 18/Other 2
- Pallegina being a Support Tank, healing and strengthening herself and allies. Paladin/Priest. Paladin 10/Priest 10

​Or...

​Maia Rua, Ranger/Chanter, pretty much the same as Serafen (+bird), but a little more versatile (because of the animal companion). Trap Detector, Scout. Ranger 6/Chanter 14

I was thinking:

MC - Deadfire Pale Elf Bleak Walker, with a couple of levels barbarian for frenzy and carnage (took Outlanders Frenzy as a talent in 1) - DPS/Support

Eder - Fighter/Ranger(bear) 50/50 - Tank + Off-tank

Xoti - probably pure priest - Support

Seraphen - pure cipher - CC

Then Aloth or the mysterious aumaua in the fifth position as pure DPS

Edited by CottonWolf

So hard choices, all companions look intersting and we have only five member party this time  :( .

I have four Watchers but thinking about company for my first-born:

PC - Moon Godlike priest of Eothas, no multi for him

Pallegina - Kind Wayfarer paladin

Aloth - wizard kicking Leaden Key asses/ eventually druid

Maia Rua as ranger/druid or Xoti as monk/druid 

Eder - fighter or rogue, can't decide, it depends if Maia or Xoti are in party

Blue Fish Man -- if he is a druid he will kick off Aloth (and Iselmyr) from the party. Would give him wizard class then. Or not.

PC: Barbarian (possibly multiclassed, I'll wait and see how the new class abilities pan out before I decide. She's a pirate, so maybe a Barbarian/Rogue would work?)

Eder: Fighter (he was a dependable tank in PoE1, I see no reason to change him now)

Xoti: Priest (need dedicated support and healing, and I am shipping Eder/Xoti so hard right now, so she stays in the party at all times)

Serafen: Cipher (he's a pirate, my MC is a pirate... they will be best buds)

I'll mix and match the last party member.

Before I decide I'd really like to know if now that the party size has been limited to 5 down from 6, will this mean that we need an offtank? In PoE 1, I always used Eder main tank with Pallegina as an offtank and this worked very well. I wonder now if we won't need an off-tank as encounters will be designed around only having 5 party members. Not sure...

The blue guy really doesn't strike me as a moon godlike, he has fins on his arm.  Also it was let slip in today's stream they are a chanter.  So anyone who guessed that, good game!

For me....

Watcher is a Cipher, might give them rogue levels too
Eder, probably as a straight fighter.

Pallegina as a straight paladin
Xoti as a monk/priest
Aloth as a straight wizard.

The blue guy really doesn't strike me as a moon godlike, he has fins on his arm.

I think that godlike in general are supposed to have more variation in their features than the games will represent, so his particular characteristics might not rule him out. Fins don't seem particularly evocative of the moon to me either, even considering associations between it and the sea, but Ondra to having two breeds of godlike tied to her invites all sorts of conceptual inflation here. If she does have two, should we expect portal and song godlike next? There are a lot of portfolios to work through after all.

My initial party will consist of:

A monk/cipher Watcher, favoring monk

Possibly Xoti, favoring priest

Serafen as a cipher/rogue, favoring cipher

Maia Rua as a ranger

The Huana predominantly as a chanter, possibly with some levels of wizard mixed in

Eder's a bit too inanimate to make a reappearance and with Pallegina becoming more reactive, I expect that her complaints about cruelty will make her a bit short-lived as a party member.

• Like 1

I don't have my party completely worked out yet. But so far...

My Nature Godlike Druid Watcher. Obviously. I don't think you can cut the player character from the party.

Edér, my bro.

Pallegina, my gal pal.

Beyond that, I'm just not sure.

I'm leaning towards including Aloth, but only if Iselmyr has a rather pronounced presence. If Iselmyr pipes up frequently, I'll probably keep Aloth in the party. If not, Aloth may very well lose his spot.

But to who? I don't know. I want to know more about the new party members before making any decisions.

Oh, and, everybody's multiclassing into Druid.

Except Edér. He's gonna be a Ranger. With the fluffiest pet.

I'm leaning towards including Aloth, but only if Iselmyr has a rather pronounced presence. If Iselmyr pipes up frequently, I'll probably keep Aloth in the party. If not, Aloth may very well lose his spot.

"If Aloth did not sublimate Iselmyr, she still acts as his guardian via the Iselmyr's Watch Talent, granting different bonuses (and changing many lines in his combat voice set!) when he starts taking heavy damage." from http://www.mmorpg.com/pillars-of-eternity/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-returning-companions-and-continuing-saves-1000011515

So I guess you're good.

I am choosing purely from story standpoint (basically, who I find most interesting and want to have around). Right now I am very curious about Aloth, but I am willing to exchange him for Eder/Xoti/Aumaua from time to time.

Pallegina: This time I will make her a tank, so that I can take her everywhere. So probably I'll make her apaladin/fighter for maximum engagement and survivability.

Serafin: My main is already a rogue (who I will multi-class as a cipher), so I am unsure what to do with him. His backstory involves his cipher background rather heavily, so I think it would suck for me to purely spec him into a barbarian. But I am also unsure whether I should make him a cipher-barbarian or cipher-ranger or something else.

Maia Rua: She's hot, so I am taking her with me. Not fond of ranger class, so if roleplay permits, I would like to make her a ranger-druid or ranger-priest, so that we get a healing class in our party.

Aloth: I think I will keep him ultra classical mage. No need to experiment with what already worked out well in the past.

"If Aloth did not sublimate Iselmyr, she still acts as his guardian via the Iselmyr's Watch Talent, granting different bonuses (and changing many lines in his combat voice set!) when he starts taking heavy damage." from http://www.mmorpg.com/pillars-of-eternity/interviews/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-returning-companions-and-continuing-saves-1000011515

So I guess you're good.

Combat barks are one thing. I'm talking about Iselmyr interjecting in regular conversations. And random banter. Of which there will probably be a bit as well.