Durance is not impotent. He's just ugly. That is kind of frustrating too.

Based on his stats, he's also not a very good dancer.

The "priest is a bit like a daddy" might be his best bet, but that limits him to very vulnerable women.

What would the world be without vulnerable women and priests?

Euh... wait a sec... that sounded weird

That's why he's so angry when he finds out that Magran intended for him to die with the other makers of the Godhammer. Like all toxic men, he believes he's entitled to his reward after making what he perceived as the necessary payments, and Magran's intention to never repay him is a betrayal. Like all misogynist ****s, his thoughts turn not to self-reflection, but to vengeance for his perceived wrongs.

Yes, Durance is totally a Nice Guy to Magran. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

I'm sorry but isn't this a little bit ridiculous? "perceived wrongs"? Trying to kill someone is wrong. You're reading a bunch of entitlement into him being mad about his goddess who he devoted his life to wanting him dead. I'm not saying he doesn't believe he is entitled to a reward from her but I don't see how your explanation for his anger at her works or is even needed. 

• Like 4

That's why he's so angry when he finds out that Magran intended for him to die with the other makers of the Godhammer. Like all toxic men, he believes he's entitled to his reward after making what he perceived as the necessary payments, and Magran's intention to never repay him is a betrayal. Like all misogynist ****s, his thoughts turn not to self-reflection, but to vengeance for his perceived wrongs.

Yes, Durance is totally a Nice Guy to Magran. At least, that's how I interpreted it.

I'm sorry but isn't this a little bit ridiculous? "perceived wrongs"? Trying to kill someone is wrong. You're reading a bunch of entitlement into him being mad about his goddess who he devoted his life to wanting him dead. I'm not saying he doesn't believe he is entitled to a reward from her but I don't see how your explanation for his anger at her works or is even needed. 

Well, he sure uses a lot of gendered insults. Not "that backstabbing ****" or "treacherous wench", it's all aboard the whore train with him.

Frankly, I'm more surprised at the naivety of devising a god-killing weapon, then being surprised that your god wants to eradicate all knowledge pertaining to how such things are made (including, well, you).

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

After all she's a godess, not a woman. She promised nothing. Isn't that a normal thing for religious freaks? Sacrificing yourself for your god?

Edited by Lord_Mord

---

We're all doomed

Well, he sure uses a lot of gendered insults. Not "that backstabbing ****" or "treacherous wench", it's all aboard the whore train with him.

Frankly, I'm more surprised at the naivety of devising a god-killing weapon, then being surprised that your god wants to eradicate all knowledge pertaining to how such things are made (including, well, you).

Yeah i'm not saying he is not a sexist, or that he isn't entitled. Just him being mad about that specific thing seems perfectly reasonable. You don't have to be entitled to be mad someone stabbed you in the back and literally tried to kill you, even if you are a terrible person who probably deserves it. 

• Like 1

Yeah i'm not saying he is not a sexist, or that he isn't entitled. Just him being mad about that specific thing seems perfectly reasonable. You don't have to be entitled to be mad someone stabbed you in the back and literally tried to kill you, even if you are a terrible person who probably deserves it. 

Sure it is.

Nonetheless, I like the Nice Guy Durance interpretation, even if it is off-base in some ways. The author's dead, etc etc.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I'd agree with you, except, it's not what I saw in that scene. If the attempt to kill him had been another test, Durance would have gladly accepted it and tried to conquer it. He didn't see a test, he finally saw that Magran was never going to give him what he wanted, no matter how much he begged and tortured himself for her. That's why I don't believe "You tried to kill me" is the reason Durance gets mad and wants vengeance. "You won't **** me, how dare you" fits much better.

Not sure that changes anything, obviously trying to get rid of him because he knew to much can never be a test and he's obviously realised that all his devotion to her was pointless and that she simply does not care about him. His anger is still justified though, but I think I get your point. I can see it as being about expecting a reward in return, even to the extent of sex or being some kind of metaphor for that. I'm not sure really, it's not clear. It was really just that part about perceived wrongs I took issue with. Thanks for clearing it up. 

• Like 1

After all she's a godess, not a woman. She promised nothing. Isn't that a normal thing for religious freaks? Sacrificing yourself for your god?

Yeah, maybe. But the problem is...she didn't ****ing *TELL ANY OF THEM THIS*. Magran had her most devoted followers make the Godhammer bomb, and the whole time she planned for them to die from it's use but never bothered to tell them that.

That isn't just betrayal. That's *MURDEROUS* betrayal.

• Like 1

I'd agree with you, except, it's not what I saw in that scene. If the attempt to kill him had been another test, Durance would have gladly accepted it and tried to conquer it. He didn't see a test, he finally saw that Magran was never going to give him what he wanted, no matter how much he begged and tortured himself for her. That's why I don't believe "You tried to kill me" is the reason Durance gets mad and wants vengeance. "You won't **** me, how dare you" fits much better.

But it's *not* another test. For a long time he thinks it is, and he's trying *REAL* hard to pass it, but as time goes on and Magran never, ever acknowledges his existence again he begins to doubt. He begins to think that it's *not* another test, so he begins to react as if Magran really, actually betrayed.

Which, of course, she *really, actually did*. Magran *DID* betray him and Magran *DID* try to murder him and Magran *DID* only fail at the last one because of the damage done by the Godhammer--which, by the way, also has it's own effects on who Durance is and why he acts the way he does.

Is Durance a good guy? No. Durance is an ****. Is Durance perfectly reasonable in why he's pissed at Magran? Yes. Yes, he is.

• Like 3