You already had them in poe1.

And they were good!

But they didnt give a whole lot of extra to your narritive.

Now im NOT asking for quests or story.

But how about a GENERAL plausible input that can be made from them.

First of all youll need to lower the number that can be created to cover your bases. Like from 8 to 4. Even 3.

3 male

3 female 6

But they dont need voices even. Except those you got in the creator for actions.

Im straying...

Example:

Your first companion is a mute.

Whatever born or got his tongue ripped out or whatevef... cannot talk.

But... he could grunt a grrr or ungh in convos.

Or "shakes head".

Minimal interaction. On a very few times. Just so it feels like someone there.

Ofc there arent a dozen escapes like this so you need a low number of mercenaries. But who makes 8 guys anyway?

I would rather have 3 that give a dozen each lines in a game then 8 cardboards.

One can be shy. One can be mute/disabled/maimed. One can have taken a vow of silence! Or another doesnt speak your language...

Like the little trick with the acolyte and the godlike and his mask. It wasnt a gamevhanger but it felt great.

How bout one line extra if a mercenary is in that room.

"xxxx smiles for that comment"

"Yyyy nods in aproval"

"Zzzz looks indifferent"

A description is enough.

It could be chosen as 3 or 4 options. Or just randomly given. As you choose a merc its just given. Deal with it. So your thug bodyguard lost his tongue. So your healer took a vow of silence. So your scout cant talk your language. They do the job. and its cool to get the strong silent type or the mysterious stranger amongst you.

Im a noob in writing. So this may be a childish notion of a very large task. But if it isnt (like the one scene with the acolyte and mask) you only need a couple of times your mercs SHOW they are there!

That would eliminate much of the point of making your own companions to me, and probably to a decent number of other people. If one wants characters with a backstory that one didn't decide on, and who will say things of their own accord, why not just take the NPCs? This idea would fill a completely different niche to player-created characters, which I believe are generally employed by people who want to create more than one player character in the game. If you want to decide that all your hired adventurers have lost their tongue or what have you, you can already do that. Nothing stopping you.

Also, while I admit this may not be the norm, I've run up against the eight character limit numerous times in PoE (mostly due to the game not having quite realised that earlier characters were actually dead). If one isn't going to reload when a character dies and is instead going to hire a new character, that's going to end up with probably a good deal more than eight characters by the end.

I very much hope that the extra companion creation will work much the same in the next game. If anything, I'd rather see a large limit on number of adventurers created, and some way to add more characters at the beginning of the game (which would be quite useful if one finished the first game with a party of hired adventurers and wants to keep those same characters, for example).

• Like 2

knightofchaoss.jpg

Personally I'd like to take this one step further and allow the ability to re-roll character attributes. To some, this might be considered a no-no, but to compensate you could even have some kind of penalty, i.e. unlock the ability to reroll, but penalise me 2 points or something for doing so. I'd gladly take the hit to re-roll some of the god awful stat distributions in PoE1.

I'd make use of generic hireling 'personalities' but I'd really not like 3 variations of 'can't talk' - I don't mind if they've got little to say though - only piping up at crit-path big quests.

Not sure Obs would spend time/money on it.  Since the ideal would be one for each class/race combo, we'd be stuck with "Don't look at me, I'm just here for the money" or "I'll follow whatever you decide."

^I can always roleplay their input anyway as per the character I imagined when I created them.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Yeah. Weird. That is exactly what you asked for.

I just hope I can transfer both my characters from PoE. I know the Watcher can but can my priest of Eothas? I think I can sort of recreate him in an inn in Dreadfire but I would really prefer to transfer him over.

• Like 2

I just hope I can transfer both my characters from PoE. I know the Watcher can but can my priest of Eothas? I think I can sort of recreate him in an inn in Dreadfire but I would really prefer to transfer him over.

I'd like this too - maybe they can be available at the inns to hire as 'special hirelings'

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Yeah. Weird. That is exactly what you asked for.

Yeah, I really hope this is possible. I don't know how many people would've completed the game with one or more hired adventurers, but I'm guessing it's a fairly large number.

knightofchaoss.jpg