The Dwarven Companion Recovery Front

I will be really surprised if they will keep using "high quality" portraits for ship crew. As we will be finding them via quest using waterpainted ones seems to make more sense.

Crew members will be getting both.  https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Vektor

According to Josh in that last stream, there will be story crew members and generic crew members.  I assume the generic crew members will get player portraits like the crew members in the beta.

be careful what you wish for, yes?  obsidian likes to subtle subvert the archetypes.  previewers o' poe mentioned how aumaua were stand-ins for half-orcs, so kana were the aumaua companion.  erudite and jocular. poe already had a dwarven companion and she were an inuit mom more than a tolkienesque scottish berserker with axes and war pigs.

we did expect a dwarven companion for deadfire if only 'cause deadfire is one o' the locales where dwarves seeming predominate, but we weren't expecting traditional dwarves.  perhaps a pirate or merchant captain.  maybe a witch doctor/priest o' berath. etc.

hammers and axes and war pigs would be unlikely.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Of course, Konstantin actually is a barbarian (or a chanter) and thus is far closer to the "typical" dwarf than Sagani.

maneha were a barbarian in poe.  not much in the way o' scottish accents, and war pigs from her neither... though she did have a battleaxe. well, she had a battleaxe for ten seconds 'til we changed her weapon loadout. 

get the archetype from obsidian is gonna be the exception rather than the rule.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Is Discworld the only place where dwarves (well, some of them) have welsh accents?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Is Discworld the only place where dwarves (well, some of them) have welsh accents?

is this a trick question?  "wales" is the obvious answer. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

The big question, though: I'm sure there are quite a few that may be described most derogatively as "dwarfs" in Wales, but is there even two dwarves in existence there?

I mean dwarves==fantasy. :dancing:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I support this notion of Dwarven companions. 

Be wary crossing the line between "not the stereotype" and "special snowflake." If a character is different for the sake of being different it can quickly become an absurd concept. 

But are there two-headed dwarves?

"Let's have an argument!"

"Not today, left."

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

be careful what you wish for, yes?  obsidian likes to subtle subvert the archetypes.  previewers o' poe mentioned how aumaua were stand-ins for half-orcs, so kana were the aumaua companion.  erudite and jocular. poe already had a dwarven companion and she were an inuit mom more than a tolkienesque scottish berserker with axes and war pigs.

we did expect a dwarven companion for deadfire if only 'cause deadfire is one o' the locales where dwarves seeming predominate, but we weren't expecting traditional dwarves.  perhaps a pirate or merchant captain.  maybe a witch doctor/priest o' berath. etc.

hammers and axes and war pigs would be unlikely.

HA! Good Fun!

I don't have anything constructive to add, I just love Black Sabbath.

YEAH BROTHER!

nowt

There's a new game out there right now. It has space dwarves and mining. And guess what? No female dwarves.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/548430/Deep_Rock_Galactic/

I didn't think females existed in Dwarf species, I thought males mated with other males to carry on kin and such has been the message of the dwarves.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

There's a new game out there right now. It has space dwarves and mining. And guess what? No female dwarves.

I didn't think females existed in Dwarf species, I thought males mated with other males to carry on kin and such has been the message of the dwarves.

I must say, this is a historically inaccurate rumor undoubtedly originating with the elves. The fact is Dwarves are hermaphrodites that lay jewel-shaped golden eggs and protect them by surrounding the nest with gold coins as a distraction.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I must say, this is a historically inaccurate rumor undoubtedly originating with the elves. The fact is Dwarves are hermaphrodites that lay jewel-shaped golden eggs and protect them by surrounding the nest with gold coins as a distraction.

Proven with science  :disguise: 

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

True, those rumors are false and most likely from the elves but that doesn't make your 'fact' the truth. Note that your theory sounds a lot like the lair of certain types of mountain-dwelling dragons. As you know the relationship between dwarves and those dragons are quite unique to the point that dwarves reflect qualities of those dragons unto themselves. Sure, this sounds great. But there are 3 reasons why they made this rumor. (1) Because they worship those dragons, (2) To ignore the grim reality of the procreation of the dwarf and (3) to lure greedy adventurers into their tunnels(advancement in metallurgy by surface-dwellers took it's toll on their economy so they need different sources of income, even if it comes down to graverobbing). 

But we're getting off the rails. Alaundo wrote a treatise about the procreation of the dwarves. Sadly, the truth is quite disgusting.

Now I like dwarves even less now...

Abominable creatures.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...