The Dwarven Companion Recovery Front

Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

I like Sagani, but one of the best?  I like her character and her personal journey, but I thought the way her story played out was kind of dull, and she acts like a mere acquaintance than a friend to you (there no development between her and the watcher).  I can think of MANY companions in an RPGs that are more interesting, especially from PoE1.

I disagree, of course. I loved where her story went, and I don't think she was kept distant from the protagonist (more to this perhaps on The White March too). I'll quote the review I did for the game over at the "now playing" thread (linked here in case anyone else would want to read it), where I give my thoughts on her and Edér...

Sure enough, the game’s a serious experience with few moments of levity scattered across, but throughout it are also many scenes that have awed me, that have touched me and moved me in ways I haven’t felt for the medium in a long time. Much of this relates to the companions that eventually join us in our travels: some may respond to the themes above in a more interesting yet impersonal fashion, as with Durance, one of the twelve engineers of the Godhammer bomb, or the Grieving Mother, a midwife and cipher (a kind of psychic) who has to come to terms with her actions upon first encountering the Hollowborn plague; yet others, like Edér and Sagani, are treated with a worldliness and naturalness seldom seen in such games, and come across as the emotional anchors that so perfectly complement the 'freaks' that accompany us. Touches like Edér’s love for animals or Sagani’s casual, maternal insight offer a break of relatability in what may otherwise be a very grey-mattered affair: a lovely moment comes when, upon being asked of her people (the Naasitaqi, a loose equivalent to the Eskimo in this setting) and her past, Sagani says she’s up to answering anything and adds that if she doesn’t know an answer, she’ll “make something up”. It is this relatability to her that lends her quest such gravitas, so that by the almost Miyazaki-like revelation at its end I was subjected to one of the most hard-hitting, memorable and devastating moments in any game I’ve so far played.

Dude, no spoilers here...

• Like 1

Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

I like Sagani, but one of the best?  I like her character and her personal journey, but I thought the way her story played out was kind of dull, and she acts like a mere acquaintance than a friend to you (there no development between her and the watcher).  I can think of MANY companions in an RPGs that are more interesting, especially from PoE1.

I disagree, of course. I loved where her story went, and I don't think she was kept distant from the protagonist (more to this perhaps on The White March too). I'll quote the review I did for the game over at the "now playing" thread (linked here in case anyone else would want to read it), where I give my thoughts on her and Edér...

Sure enough, the game’s a serious experience with few moments of levity scattered across, but throughout it are also many scenes that have awed me, that have touched me and moved me in ways I haven’t felt for the medium in a long time. Much of this relates to the companions that eventually join us in our travels: some may respond to the themes above in a more interesting yet impersonal fashion, as with Durance, one of the twelve engineers of the Godhammer bomb, or the Grieving Mother, a midwife and cipher (a kind of psychic) who has to come to terms with her actions upon first encountering the Hollowborn plague; yet others, like Edér and Sagani, are treated with a worldliness and naturalness seldom seen in such games, and come across as the emotional anchors that so perfectly complement the 'freaks' that accompany us. Touches like Edér’s love for animals or Sagani’s casual, maternal insight offer a break of relatability in what may otherwise be a very grey-mattered affair: a lovely moment comes when, upon being asked of her people (the Naasitaqi, a loose equivalent to the Eskimo in this setting) and her past, Sagani says she’s up to answering anything and adds that if she doesn’t know an answer, she’ll “make something up”. It is this relatability to her that lends her quest such gravitas, so that by the almost Miyazaki-like revelation at its end I was subjected to one of the most hard-hitting, memorable and devastating moments in any game I’ve so far played.

Dude, no spoilers here...

Sorry, I assumed most people taking part in this forum had already played through the first Pillars, so spoilers for it weren't an issue. Maybe the keyword there is "most". If it helps any, I don't think there's any particularly strong spoiler in what I wrote, but I'll hide it anyways.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'm sorry, but who on their right mind would claim Sagani wasn't *meant* to be charismatic? Granted, the likability of each character is a very personal and subjective thing, but between her role as a down-to-earth family and a quest that is arguably the most outwardly "noble" of all companions', there's no doubt she was designed to be charismatic all around. Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

"her role as a down-to-earth family and a quest that is arguably the most outwardly "noble" of all companions', there's no doubt she was designed to be charismatic all around."You know what the noun "charisma" means?

"she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played." I can't argue with madness.

Thanks god she will not be reintroduced in PoE2! Uh... to think that she was so bad that Josh and the rest of Obsidian didn't even bother to reintroduce her...

I'm sorry, but who on their right mind would claim Sagani wasn't *meant* to be charismatic? Granted, the likability of each character is a very personal and subjective thing, but between her role as a down-to-earth family and a quest that is arguably the most outwardly "noble" of all companions', there's no doubt she was designed to be charismatic all around. Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

"her role as a down-to-earth family and a quest that is arguably the most outwardly "noble" of all companions', there's no doubt she was designed to be charismatic all around."You know what the noun "charisma" means?

"she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played." I can't argue with madness.

Thanks god she will not be reintroduced in PoE2! Uh... to think that she was so bad that Josh and the rest of Obsidian didn't even bother to reintroduce her...

Nah, it's just her story is done.  If Josh's hints are anything to go by,I'm sure we'll see here in the expansion as an important NPC (but not playable).  :p

• Like 2

Nah, it's just her story is done.  If Josh's hints are anything to go by,I'm sure we'll see here in the expansion as an important NPC (but not playable).   :p

That is one of the reasons I've given to prove that she wasn't a explorer like the other guy likes to believe, she would not enjoy your party because she likes her family and tribe more than exploring, she just do some exploration because she is a hunter for her tribe, simple.

I really think that she being boring was one of the factors, Maneha could have been reintroduced as well, but she was also boring, so they choose Pallegina a somewhat interesting character, mainly because of her retina peculiar movements, it was delightful to read about them.

If I stop to think about it, reading about Pallegina's eyes were more interesting than reading all Sagani's dialogues.

• Like 1

Gotta agree with you. Sagani and Eder were by far my favourite companions, not only because of their simple yet fulfilling quests, but because of the emotional depth behind their characters. I also liked Kana, because I like goofy academics.

In a companion, I tend to appreciate a strong emotional connection, be it positive or negative. I'm hoping we got more of that in POE2. So far, what the devs have revealed leaves me optimistic.

• Like 2

Better than you it seems. But then again, I can't "argue with madness" either, so I believe we're done here.

• Like 2

Gotta agree with you. Sagani and Eder were by far my favourite companions, not only because of their simple yet fulfilling quests, but because of the emotional depth behind their characters. I also liked Kana, because I like goofy academics.

In a companion, I tend to appreciate a strong emotional connection, be it positive or negative. I'm hoping we got more of that in POE2. So far, what the devs have revealed leaves me optimistic.

I liked/loved all three you mention but also find value in the more distant ones, I'd say. They can lead to an emotional connection to, albeit a different one: I can't say I would get along with either Durance or the Grieving Mother as people, but I can sympathize with the experiences they've been through and can see how that would have led to the very twisted and jaded vision they have in the game's present time. There is a sense of pathos to their current states that I think is especially reflected when their past comes to light, but they're no doubt very unlike the likes of Edér, Sagani, Kana and Pallegina, who are much more straight-forwardly open, friendly and likable as people.

With Kana I kinda regret that not a whole lot was done with him in the end: his quest feels pretty contained, as you are given access to Od Nua not long after meeting him, and the tablet is very much within reach at that stage of the game. This moment aside, Kana has a few interjections here and there but he feels one of the more "distant" characters to the themes of the game. The rest all seem to get some new understanding or enlightenment to their conflicts in the third act, upon meeting the different gods or talking to Iovara, even after their quests are done - Pallegina for example had a pretty "small" or simple quest to her, but her chat with Hylea exists entirely outside that substory and reflects so much on her character and her conflicts. Maybe I'm just not recalling correctly but I feel Kana seemed to have no such moment, possibly because it wasn't called for, but it would have all the same been nice to see more to him.

That is also partly why I expect the sidekicks will play a lot like Kana too.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 3

Better than you it seems. But then again, I can't "argue with madness" either, so I believe we're done here.

Nah, you don't get to choose when I'm done.

Charisma:

Theology. a divinely conferred gift or power.

a spiritual power or personal quality that gives an individual influenceor authority over large numbers of people.

the special virtue of an office, function, position, etc., that confers or isthought to confer on the person holding it an unusual ability for leadership, worthiness of veneration, or the like.

Synonyms:

2. charm, magnetism, presence.

Sagani don't have any, charm, magnetism, presence, nor does she has any unusual ability for leadership, worthiness or veneration, basically the opposite of Edér, in his first dialogue he shows, magnetism, presence and charm - depending on your mood. Maybe she has some good qualities - Itumaak - but charisma is not one. It's not that hard to understand, mate...

"her role as a down-to-earth family and a quest that is arguably the most outwardly "noble" of all companions', there's no doubt she was designed to be charismatic all around."Oh, wait... you thought that nobility and being a "down-to-earth" character means charisma? I don't even know why I'm arguing with you, you are clearly living in your own little mind.

Sagani was so bad that people only remember her because of Edér's dialogue "I'm gonna pet 'im!"

Charisma, in the everyday usage of the term, refers to a person's appeal, charm and authority. This is what people refer to when calling Sagani "charismatic" - you can choose to pretend they refer to her "divinely conferred power to influence and lead other people", but then you could also pretend that when people say Jaco Pastorius is a good bass player, they mean he's good at performing as a type of fish. Taking the everyday use of the word in question, yes, Sagani is absolutely meant to be charismatic, not only for all the above-mentioned traits but because she too is the designated huntress to carry out one of her people's most important traditions, and, depending on the ending you reach, may or may not become the village elder herself. That implies she has authority, and it also implies she is, despite following your lead in the game, a figure with presence and capacity of leadership herself.

Again, whether it works for you, that is up to you and your own feelings about her. No number of flippant exaggerations and generalizations will make your point any stronger.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 5

That is one of the reasons I've given to prove that she wasn't a explorer...

she just do some exploration...

You can say her main occupation wasn't explorer, but if you admit she explores then that covers her being an explorer.

I'm a gamer.  My main occupation isn't gaming though.

If I stop to think about it, reading about Pallegina's eyes were more interesting than reading all Sagani's dialogues.

I can't argue with madness either - Pallegina was good but I can't claim great enjoyment from reading about her nictating membranes.  Her quest was also a bit unsatisfying.  Basically take her to see the ambassador and then the Anamenfath.  Tell her which trade agreement to reach.

I guess if you just want 'different' then okay.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

There has been some concern over posts yesterday where comments have been directed towards individuals rather than about the points being made in the discussion.

Please remember that we ask that the users of this board treat one another with respect, even when opinions differ.  You are certainly entitled to dislike someones opinion; you may dislike the poster themselves based on your perception of them through interaction. 

Remember: respond to other posters' opinions, not your perception of who that poster is.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I thought we were having friendly banter :(

I guess tone is hard to convey - will try harder.

So, Bonteru - rogue - equip with stilleto(s) or hammer?  Does he have a sharp wit or is he rather more blunt?  He likes poison so I'm thinking something sharp and stabby - but I'm also looking forward to reverse pick-pocketing - I can just imagine the insane giggle while waiting for a noxious burst to explode in someone's back pocket. ... ... yes, I have too much free time today.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I thought we were having friendly banter :(

I guess tone is hard to convey - will try harder.

So, Bonteru - rogue - equip with stilleto(s) or hammer?  Does he have a sharp wit or is he rather more blunt?  He likes poison so I'm thinking something sharp and stabby - but I'm also looking forward to reverse pick-pocketing - I can just imagine the insane giggle while waiting for a noxious burst to explode in someone's back pocket. ... ... yes, I have too much free time today.

My post wasn't specifically directed at any one poster and covers some concerns over more than one post from yesterday, some not on this page at all.  But we (the Mod Team) thought a friendly reminder in the thread might help things from getting heated(er).  No intent to specifically rebuke anyone was intended; consider it a friendly request to all posters to remember the spirit of debate on the board.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Charisma, in the everyday usage of the term, refers to a person's appeal, charm and authority. This is what people refer to when calling Sagani "charismatic" - you can choose to pretend they refer to her "divinely conferred power to influence and lead other people", but then you could also pretend that when people say Jaco Pastorius is a good bass player, they mean he's good at performing as a type of fish. Taking the everyday use of the word in question, yes, Sagani is absolutely meant to be charismatic, not only for all the above-mentioned traits but because she too is the designated huntress to carry out one of her people's most important traditions, and, depending on the ending you reach, may or may not become the village elder herself. That implies she has authority, and it also implies she is, despite following your lead in the game, a figure with presence and capacity of leadership herself.

Again, whether it works for you, that is up to you and your own feelings about her. No number of flippant exaggerations and generalizations will make your point any stronger.

"not only for all the above-mentioned traits"what traits? That she is a "down to earth"person and noble? Sorry, but that don't make any sense, those are not the qualities of a charismatic person.

"but because she too is the designated huntress to carry out one of her people's most important traditions, and, depending on the ending you reach, may or may not become the village elder herself. That implies she has authority, and it also implies she is, despite following your lead in the game, a figure with presence and capacity of leadership herself."No... that implies she is wise, capable, with an incredibly knowlodge of the culture of her village and also how her village works - she explains to you everything about her village in the dialogues... well if you don't sleep whilst reading them-, but that don't implie that she is a charismatic person, there are leaders that don't have any charisma - Rick and Jon Snow  are some good examples, some leaders are leaders because of their knowlodge, because they are wise and capable of doing their job, just like the traits that Sagani has, it seems that I know more about her character than you... odd. Like the DICTIONARY SAYS: charisma also means charm, magnetism, presence, she don't have any of those...

Odema: S/he needs to find some springberries. Watch that s/he doesn't drop dead. 

Calisca: No promises.

Odema: What kind of guide says something like that? 

Calisca: Kind you can afford. 

That is charisma!

Edited by molotov.
  • Like 1

I just randomly remembered this guy from that prehistoric SNES Shadowrun game

Shadowrun3.mp4.Still005.jpg

And found myself thinking that a Magranite priest/Nalpazca monk who periodically sets his hair on fire might not be so bad. Perhaps he'd be a cautionary tale from Bonteru's past about the dangers of poorly mixed concoctions: a knock-out drug gone wrong, perhaps, or brain damage from a not quite fatal enough dose of poison during a previous encounter.

I still can't believe they named him Vivyan, though.

• Like 4

"not only for all the above-mentioned traits"what traits? That she is a "down to earth"person and noble? Sorry, but that don't make any sense, those are not the qualities of a charismatic person.

"but because she too is the designated huntress to carry out one of her people's most important traditions, and, depending on the ending you reach, may or may not become the village elder herself. That implies she has authority, and it also implies she is, despite following your lead in the game, a figure with presence and capacity of leadership herself."No... that implies she is wise, capable, with an incredibly knowlodge of the culture of her village and also how her village works - she explains to you everything about her village in the dialogues... well if you don't sleep whilst reading them-, but that don't implie that she is a charismatic person, there are leaders that don't have any charisma - Rick and Jon Snow from TWD are som good examples, some leaders are leaders because of their knowlodge, because they are wise and capable of doing their job, just like the traits that Sagani has, it seems that I know more about her character than you... odd. Like the DICTIONARY SAYS: charisma also means charm, magnetism, presence, she don't have any of those...

For you. Personally I see all those qualities in her, and as I said before, this is a personal reaction one gets from a person or character. My points about her being down to Earth is a description of her kind of appeal, and these are elements that contribute to her likability and attitude as a character, thus also making her charismatic. Either way, you may not be done here, but I am: as your overreliance on the "dictionary definition" (which, if needed to explain, fails to consider the context in which a term is used) shows, your reading comprehension is frankly quite poor, and I would just as well be talking to a Turing chatbot. Cheers.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 4

"but because she too is the designated huntress to carry out one of her people's most important traditions, and, depending on the ending you reach, may or may not become the village elder herself. That implies she has authority, and it also implies she is, despite following your lead in the game, a figure with presence and capacity of leadership herself."No... that implies she is wise, capable, with an incredibly knowlodge of the culture of her village and also how her village works - she explains to you everything about her village in the dialogues... well if you don't sleep whilst reading them-, but that don't implie that she is a charismatic person, there are leaders that don't have any charisma - Rick and Jon Snow from TWD are som good examples, some leaders are leaders because of their knowlodge, because they are wise and capable of doing their job, just like the traits that Sagani has, it seems that I know more about her character than you... odd. Like the DICTIONARY SAYS: charisma also means charm, magnetism, presence, she don't have any of those...

For you. Personally I see all those qualities in her, and as I said before, this is a personal reaction one gets from a person or character. My points about her being down to Earth is a description of her kind of appeal, and these are elements that contribute to her likability and attitude as a character, thus also making her charismatic. Either way, you may not be done here, but I am: as your overreliance on the "dictionary definition" (which, if needed to explain, fails to consider the context in which a term is used) shows, your reading comprehension is frankly quite poor, and I would just as well be talking to a Turing chatbot. Cheers.

"Either way, you may not be done here, but I am" So? Why are you giving me this information? Are you feeling alone? You feel like a special person? You think that I care about you or what you do? This don't pevents me to responding to your... "argument", if you are not going to read my response that is up to you- and it seems quite a regularly thing to do in this forum, you just post something insulting someone else and then run.

But the context in this situation was: Why you consider Sagani charismatic if she don't show any of the qualities of a charismatic person? Everything you said so far depict her as a leader and, like I already said and you surely failed to comprehend that, a leader is not, necessarily , charismatic.

"My points about her being down to Earth is a description of her kind of appeal, and these are elements that contribute to her likability and attitude as a character, thus also making her charismatic."If we follow your stupid logic Durance is a charismatic character because his rude attitude towards everyone "is a description of her kind of appeal, and these are elements that contribute to her likability and attitude as a character, thus also making her charismatic."same thing with GV, she is a chracter that don't have ANY personality, if we follow your mediocre logic even she is charismatic, ****... if we follow your dumb logic everyone on the planet is charismatic. Such a bad argument... you are clearly desperate to prove your point...

"Sagani: Son of a moose****er! 

Aloth: I beg your pardon? 

Sagani: Sorry. Kallu's always telling me to watch my language, 'specially around the kids. Guess I haven't had a reminder in a while. 

Aloth: What happened? 

Sagani: One of them heard me tell a joke about a Glamfellen youth with frostbite somewhere...sensitive. Kids repeat everything. 

Aloth: I meant just now. 

Sagani: Jammed my thumb. Nothing big."

Wow! Very funny! Such charisma!

Edited by molotov.

Perhaps my post was unclear or too subtle.  Please respond to other posters' opinions, not your perception of who that poster is, why they posted something or anything regarding their mental state.  This board is for debate and discussion of opinions not each other.

• Good: 'You made argument "a", let us deconstruct argument "a" in a congenial atmosphere of camaraderie'
  • Bad: 'You made argument "a" and therefore you are mentally challenged'
  • Bad: 'You made argument "a" and you clearly think you are immune to logical thought and I shall have nothing more to do with you'
  • Bad: 'You made argument "a" and I shall now psychoanalyze your motives for believing that was a good argument based on where you fall within Maslow's hierarchy of needs.'

If this is not clear, please ask a moderator for assistance.

• Like 7

This is the Dwarven Companion Recovery Front.

You guys chillax and behold my awesome google-graphics-searching skillz.

330279_rogues.jpg

He even has a Vailian duelist hat! Bonteru for sure.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 8

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

I had a dwarven thief in P&P who was from a family of dwarven locksmiths.  They had a chip on their shoulder that the other dwarven smiths got much more attention than the practicioners of fine dwarven lock crafting. So that character never did much with the stealth side of the class.

That said, they didn't dress that...colorfully either. :disguise:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is the Dwarven Companion Pick-Your-Favourite-Noun-and-or-Verb Front.

We interrupt this hiatus because Larian Studios posted on their facebook page a neat picture of a cool sailory/piratey dwarf companion. The fact that this character kinda fits the Deadfire setting is most saddening. Take a look how things will be looking in Original Sin 2:

https://www.facebook.com/LarianStudios/posts/1467514186642108:0

​EDIT: For those of you having FB issues: http://imgur.com/dqM7F1L

In other news, there are no news, because of the recent lack of thematic-ish updates.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 3

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...