The Dwarven Companion Recovery Front

You have to be more specific. Are you asking the difference between hunter and ranger as a noun or as a class in a RPG?

You previously stated that Sagani was a hunter, not a ranger, and then in the post I replied to you said "sounds like a hunter to me". Given this it should be pretty obvious what I mean, specifically: what is the ranger that you're claiming Sagani is not.

so we're into a semantic argument?

A ranger is a hunter who ranges far and wide in the wilderness - with added survival skills in general (so Sagani IS a ranger).  If you use a different definition to exclude her then that's your choice.  Are you thinking of 'Park Ranger'? or Aragorn?

Edit: Compare simple 'hunter' as one who goes into the forest out back and shoots rabbits / deer and is home before dark.

She's a ranger by RPG standards - and we're playing an RPG.

You previously stated that Sagani was a hunter, not a ranger, and then in the post I replied to you said "sounds like a hunter to me". Given this it should be pretty obvious what I mean, specifically: what is the ranger that you're claiming Sagani is not.

That is why I find very strange that a hunter = ranger, ranger is something completely different, ranger, as far as I know, is someone that has a plethora of skills, including: sword fighting, hunting, scouting, herbalism, survival, tracking, beast-mastery, they often have some magic involving nature (binding roots in PoE is an example), they can also be labelled as protectors or guardians and they also can receive military training.

Being a hunter is her profession -she clearly stated that - and I think that the game needed to put her in some class, so ranger is the most logical, but what she did in her village was hunting, not being a ranger, Maia Rua is a ranger, she receive the training to be one, including hunting. Maybe Sagani learned how to be a ranger by herself, that is a possibility, but saying that a hunter = ranger is quite wrong, hunting is just one of the many skill that a ranger has.

So, you said that a she's a ranger by rpg standards, so I have to ask, what are the ranger standards in RPG? They are the same of a hunter?

And what I'm trying to say is that, she wasn't an explorer like you are trying to label her, she was just a hunter doing her duty, she would have stayed in her village if she didn't got the small stick, ****... now that I think about it she is worse than I thought...

"Should be pretty obvious" After my last discussion with you - where you just did quotes that just had 20% of what I said and procceded to make a response of just 15% of that 20% - nothing is obvious...

"Should be pretty obvious" After my last discussion with you - where you just did quotes that just had 20% of what I said and procceded to make a response of just 15% of that 20% - nothing is obvious...

Oh you mean the discussion where you consistently misrepresented my arguments?

I am thinking talking to you is a waste of time.

Being a hunter is her profession -she clearly stated that - and I think that the game needed to put her in some class, so ranger is the most logical, but what she did in her village was hunting, not being a ranger, Maia Rua is a ranger, she receive the training to be one, including hunting. Maybe Sagani learned how to be a ranger by herself, that is a possibility, but saying that a hunter = ranger is quite wrong, hunting is just one of the many skill that a ranger has.

So, you said that a she's a ranger by rpg standards, so I have to ask, what are the ranger standards in RPG? They are the same of a hunter?

And what I'm trying to say is that, she wasn't an explorer like you are trying to label her, she was just a hunter doing her duty, she would have stayed in her village if she didn't got the small stick,

Hunter / Ranger are not mutually exclusive - Sagani ranges (weeks at a time) on her hunt, requiring beast-mastery (they hunt with the foxes) and survival skills.

She wouldn't have 'stayed in her village' all the time but rather continued to go on the long hunts, returning periodically (and nothing about a ranger says they don't have a home-base).

What's her job?  She's a hunter.  Is she also a ranger?  Yes.

She was one of those nominated to go after Persoq because she had the skills necessary.

Just because her mission was thrust upon her rather than being of her own choosing makes you like her less?  Isn't that, like 90% of protagonists?

But I've had enough off-topic for one thread - we can agree to disagree on how awesome Sagani was - and look forward to how good Bonteru might be.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

And what I'm trying to say is that, she wasn't an explorer like you are trying to label her, she was just a hunter doing her duty, she would have stayed in her village if she didn't got the small stick,

Hunter / Ranger are not mutually exclusive - Sagani ranges (weeks at a time) on her hunt, requiring beast-mastery (they hunt with the foxes) and survival skills.

She wouldn't have 'stayed in her village' all the time but rather continued to go on the long hunts, returning periodically (and nothing about a ranger says they don't have a home-base).

She was one of those nominated to go after Persoq because she had the skills necessary.

Just because her mission was thrust upon her rather than being of her own choosing makes you like her less?  Isn't that, like 90% of protagonists?

But I've had enough off-topic for one thread - we can agree to disagree on how awesome Sagani was - and look forward to how good Bonteru might be.

I know you wanted to end this topic but one quick thing I wanted to add was that I'm pretty sure several of the ranger abilities call them a hunter

I love the stereotype dwarves, but if I'm able to have a dwarf as the main character, I usually don't follow along the lines of the stereotype. My dwarf is a cipher that fights with a crossbow. But I do pick a lot of the clever and passionate options if it fits my character. Most of the clever options fits my dwarf. Also, he has the merchant background, but that is only because you never see the shopkeeper become the hero. But dwarves will always be my favorite fantasy race, and I'll always be grateful that Dragon Age Inquisition gave me my first dwarf that I was able to create with a voice.

Now Obsidian is giving me my first captain of a ship dwarf, plus he gets to continue his journey.

Sn: I wish my death Godlike was also recognized as a dwarf.

• Like 1

No one expected the Death Godlike to save the day #DeathDwarf#DeathWatcher#OnceuponaDwarf

"A drink for every person that heard I was a cipher and thought he must be an orlan." #Aptapo#CipherDwarf

That sounds like a hunter to me...

What exactly is a ranger?

What exactly is a ranger?

lol, this post reminded me of the "What's a paladin?" line in Ultima 9.

Edited by injurai

Oh you mean the discussion where you consistently misrepresented my arguments?

I am thinking talking to you is a waste of time.

You do realize that you did the same with me, right? In that discussion you misrepresented my arguments by introducing a MUST that I NEVER wrote in any of my arguments. My comment again: "PoE1 had the perfect party, 3 melees: 1 tank, 1 semi tank, 1 melee dps; 3 ranged characters: 1 healer, 1 dps, 1 dps/support. You could make a party with any of the classes without limitation, with 5 you will have a huge limitation, you will have to choose between 1 semi tank and 1 support/dps, both of them are great for CC  and battlefield control, without them the battlefield will turn into a mess - just like Dragon Age. Please, go back to 6..." Where is the "MUST"? Try looking for it in any of my arguments in that thread.

You didn't adress quite a lot of my arguments... e.g:"So, you said that a she's a ranger by rpg standards, so I have to ask, what are the ranger standards in RPG? They are the same of a hunter?" 

Of course she wouldn't have stayed at her village she is a hunter, it's part of her job to go on long hunts, but she would never said "hey, family, I want to visit some islands, later!" that has nothing to do with her personality that is why I said she wasn't an explorer, you are making a confusion, she explores because it's part of her profession not because she likes it. Want one example of a companion that does that because he likes? Hiravias. That is why I think that calling her an explorer is a mistake. I've never said that she wasn't a Ranger, I said that she could have leanerd that by herself.

Yes, we can agree with disagree.

Bonteru will be awesome, because he LIKES poison, that is already something interesting.

Edited by molotov.

This is the Dwarven Companion slash Sidekick slash Rogue slash Whatever Recovery Front.

Although this thread is somewhat about dwarves in general, you guys don't have to be grudgebearers like them dwarves from Warhammer FRP. We wouldn't want to see another War of the Beard here.

To soothe everyone's tempers here's another rogue image from the web - so Bonteru could be like:

d434594ca58cc037660988efd9eb9fc0.jpg

On a side note - The Front has reached the HOT status here on the forums. This figures, as a dwarven forge is in fact really hot.

This post was brought to you by the DCRF. Drinking ale and fightin' round the world since 3 weeks ago.

​Stay tuned for more updates.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 10

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Thinking more about a potential dwarf companion.

A guy with a prosthetic limb powered via animancy.

Has to drink ale to dull the phantom limb sensation maybe?

Just perfect! Send this to Josh... or better don't show this to Josh, he hates fun.

This is the Dwarven Companion slash Sidekick slash Rogue slash Whatever Recovery Front.

Although this thread is somewhat about dwarves in general, you guys don't have to be grudgebearers like them dwarves from Warhammer FRP. We wouldn't want to see another War of the Beard here.

More fantasy games need a war of the beard. Damn knife-ears.

Edited by illathid
  • Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Sagani was so boring that if you make a pool of PoE1 prefered companions I bet that Calisca would be higher.

Nah, she was the best of the bunch. And it was a strong bunch too.

You know, it occurs to me that Calisca and Heodan are like the "sidekicks" for PoE1. Which just goes to prove that sidekicks can be popular.

Sagani was so boring that if you make a pool of PoE1 prefered companions I bet that Calisca would be higher.

You know, it occurs to me that Calisca and Heodan are like the "sidekicks" for PoE1. Which just goes to prove that sidekicks can be popular.

That'd paint a pretty grim picture for the sidekicks to come. :lol:

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

That'd paint a pretty grim picture for the sidekicks to come. :lol:

You can pry my waifu ydwin from my cold dead fingers :p

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Yes, with a couple of comments Calisca showed more charisma than Sagani in 271 hours of gameplay. However, this realization will surely come with despair... I can already see the comments, such as: "why this awesome side kick is not a full companion? Instead I have this boring door accompanying me!"

"Oh! But Sagani wasn't supposed to be a charismatic companion!" So what? Heodan made me sympahtize with his cause more than Sagani in 271 hours of gameplay, I would help that fella with his merchant's errands any day, such a swell guy!

Heodan and Calisca were awesome, just like with Amy and Bevel I wish I could have kept them around.

New movement: "Make Obsidian Stop Killing the Starting Companions!"

• Like 3

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I'm sorry, but who on their right mind would claim Sagani wasn't *meant* to be charismatic? Granted, the likability of each character is a very personal and subjective thing, but between her role as a down-to-earth family woman and a quest that is arguably the most outwardly "noble" of all companions', there's no doubt she was designed to be charismatic all around. Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 5

Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

I like Sagani, but one of the best?  I like her character and her personal journey, but I thought the way her story played out was kind of dull, and she acts like a mere acquaintance than a friend to you (there no development between her and the watcher).  I can think of MANY companions in an RPGs that are more interesting, especially from PoE1.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

Personally, I think they succeeded and then some: she's one of the best companions in any RPG I've thus far played.

I like Sagani, but one of the best?  I like her character and her personal journey, but I thought the way her story played out was kind of dull, and she acts like a mere acquaintance than a friend to you (there no development between her and the watcher).  I can think of MANY companions in an RPGs that are more interesting, especially from PoE1.

I disagree, of course. I loved where her story went, and I don't think she was kept distant from the protagonist (more to this perhaps on The White March too). I'll quote the review I did for the game over at the "now playing" thread (linked here in case anyone else would want to read it), where I give my thoughts on her and Edér...

Sure enough, the game’s a serious experience with few moments of levity scattered across, but throughout it are also many scenes that have awed me, that have touched me and moved me in ways I haven’t felt for the medium in a long time. Much of this relates to the companions that eventually join us in our travels: some may respond to the themes above in a more interesting yet impersonal fashion, as with Durance, one of the twelve engineers of the Godhammer bomb, or the Grieving Mother, a midwife and cipher (a kind of psychic) who has to come to terms with her actions upon first encountering the Hollowborn plague; yet others, like Edér and Sagani, are treated with a worldliness and naturalness seldom seen in such games, and come across as the emotional anchors that so perfectly complement the 'freaks' that accompany us. Touches like Edér’s love for animals or Sagani’s casual, maternal insight offer a break of relatability in what may otherwise be a very grey-mattered affair: a lovely moment comes when, upon being asked of her people (the Naasitaqi, a loose equivalent to the Eskimo in this setting) and her past, Sagani says she’s up to answering anything and adds that if she doesn’t know an answer, she’ll “make something up”. It is this relatability to her that lends her quest such gravitas, so that by the almost Miyazaki-like revelation at its end I was subjected to one of the most hard-hitting, memorable and devastating moments in any game I’ve so far played.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1