Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

One more reason to name it Mistress. Whom do you love more than your mother? Because there was no father because... bastards. :)

Hellyeah - the ship could house all the souls of the BIBs mothers. If one of them dies, the BIBs will sail there, pick her body up, give her a heartbreaking funeral and her soul can live on in the vessel - so that the mothers can be with their bastard sons.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The idea behind the Scallywag's Remorse is that everything doesn't have to be named "Black".

Yep, we already have the "Black Isle Bastards" and the "Black Isle". A name without "black" would be a nice change.

I also tried to give it some of the Queen Anne's Revenge vibe.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Then again, if the ship was named "black" + something, it could be turned into an internal joke where the crew fights over what they should call the ship and complain how the captain is obsessed with the color "black", never wears anything but black clothes, became a pirate so he could have a black flag etc. This could work if the crew is an incompetent one and partially made into a comedic relief.

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I'm trying to set it up as a choir so that it sounds like there's more people singing, and then maybe some bell sounds, and some wind, and lots of "Ooooohm" or just "Ondra" in the background. Humming stuff~

​But I don't know exactly what to sing about...

​We are the Bastards of the Sea
​Ooouahauaouuh~
​And we're sailin', plunderin' all the tiiiime!
​Ooouahauahoouh~

​(Instead of "We are the Heroes of our Time", chorus in the song below)

​It's joke of course xD

​But seriously, a bit of a writer's block... "Theme? What be the monsters? Naga? Dragons?". What do the Bastards believe in, dream about, and what's their purpose/end goal? Just to be plundering and earning a lot of money and live like kings? Or are they just pests who sail the seas? Adventurers/Explorers trying to make a name for themselves?

​And even... how are the seas of the Deadfire Archipelago? Monsters, Pirates, and Aumaua? Winds? Storms? Hm... Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm liking "Mistress" too (although something like "Mother's Embrace" could work as well). And it should definitely be a frigate, small enough to fit the scope of the reward but packing decent fire power. :)

Edited by illathid
  • Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

But seriously, a bit of a writer's block... "Theme? What be the monsters? Naga? Dragons?". What do the Bastards believe in, dream about, and what's their purpose/end goal? Just to be plundering and earning a lot of money and live like kings? Or are they just pests who sail the seas? Adventurers/Explorers trying to make a name for themselves?

​And even... how are the seas of the Deadfire Archipelago? Monsters, Pirates, and Aumaua? Winds? Storms? Hm...

For the purpose of the song you can use your own ideas to answer those questions. They do not become canon by that. Just the same with my images in the opening post.

So don't be afraid to use your very own interpretation and fantasy of the Black Isle Bastards ;)

On the other hand if you do have a writer's block then just give it some time and wait. ;)

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

So I was asked if it was okay that while only 20 backers have donated for our cause so far, everyone on the forum can vote on the poll. 20 people have donated while 91 people have voted on the poll.

My answer to that is:

That is the reason why I made the poll a public poll. Should the need arise I would consider the votes of backers to be more important than those who have not donated to our cause. I am not saying that I WILL do that, but I might.

On the other hand, I would like this to be a community project. I'd like the community to be able to contribute by votes and comments even if they don't donate.

Yet, I would like to encourage everyone to consider donating to our cause.

I see the Black Isle Bastards as a community project, a gift from the community to Obsidian Entertainment and every dollar counts.

So if you are one of the many voters on the polls but you haven't donated yet, I would just like to tell you, that even a few dollars would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I can't believe that my build offer didn't lead to immediate complete funding. ;)

OK - how can I motivate you further? I mean I can't offer money, that would be really dumb. ;)

I know most people who read this won't give a shart - but if we reach 5000$ I promise all my future class build postings will not only be text & picture, but every one will also contain a video of some sorts - to show it in action or to show the leveling or whatever you prefer. Note that I'd have to buy a new computer for this because my current machine will never be able to capture video and play games at the same time. BIBs I hope the internet connection in Bukarest will be nice...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

A) Model/Type that our ship would be based on
B) Name of our Ship
C) Fate/Role of our Ship

Suggestions so far:

A)
1.) repurposed sea monster
2.) Barque
3.) Sloop
4.) Brig
5.) Brigantine
6.) Canoe
7.) Caravel
8.) Junk (Ship)
9.) Pirogue
10.) Schooner
11.) Frigate

B)
1.) The Black Bead
2.) Scallywag's Remorse
3.) The Black Smoke
4.) The Black Death
5.) The Blackfire
6.) The High Sea Harlot
7.) The Haunted Harlot
8.) Harbor-Bay Bitch
9.) The Salty Mistress
10.) The Mistress

11.) Big Mom
12.) In the game the Black Isle Bastards actually argue over how to name their ship

C)
1.) Eothas destroyed or damaged the ship
2.) The ship is destroyed or damaged (for other reasons)
3.) The Black Isle Bastards' souls are bound to the ship
4.) The ship captures souls (of anyone)
5.) A soul inhabits the ship just as the Steward inhabited Caed Nua

Should I have missed suggestions, let me know. And keep posting new suggestions ;)

Edited by Fluffle

I'd just like to point out that nothing prevents from going with some weird combination of some or even all of these ideas presented in category C). For example, Eothas destroying the ship with some sort of magical attack might be the cause of the crew's souls being bound to the shipwreck, a soul inhabiting the ship might be a malevolent one intent on capturing or devouring souls of the living and the crew might be her servants, willing or otherwise etcetera etcetera.

Edited by Ninjamestari
  • Like 1

I'd just like to point out that nothing prevents from going with some weird combination of some or even all of these ideas presented in category C). For example, Eothas destroying the ship with some sort of magical attack might be the cause of the crew's souls being bound to the shipwreck, a soul inhabiting the ship might be a malevolent one intent on capturing or devouring souls of the living and the crew might be her servants, willing or otherwise etcetera etcetera.

Yep, absolutely it's like the current running poll in which some options are not mutually exclusive. I did not turn on multiple choices for the current poll in the opening post though because I wanted everyone to pick their absolute favorite choice. I might do the same for the second poll with option C, but maybe I will allow multiple options this time. I haven't decided yet ;)

• Like 1

Don't sweat too much about the poll; ultimately the collection of brainstorming ideas as a source of inspiration will be more useful to obsidian than any poll results. I trust in their creative vision to cook up something awesome; we'll just help in the gathering of the ingredients. :)

• Like 2

How about "Ondras Embrace"?

Edit: @Aarik @Obsidian What are Ondras avatars? E.g. Gaun, Pallid Knight

There are none (that we know of).

But she's also called "The Lady of Lament" which also sounds like a nice name for a ship. :)

Could also be "The Mistress of Mourning" or "The mourning Mistress".

Edited by Boeroer

As a crew of seafarers, they're absolutely dependant on that ship. They're spending their whole time on it. It's their home. They know it down to the last plank. And if anything happens, they can only do as much as the ship allows them to. They're married to it, or more precisely: bound to it.

I would certainly refrain from insulting it. :D

So either something intimidating and suitably evil-overlord-y, or something that expresses that relationship. I don't think a name that comes down to "oh, that b!tch *shrug*" is appropriate. :)

• Like 3

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!