Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

By Aybons hammer! We made it!

Raise high your black banners of victory!

For our time is now!

• Like 1

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company

congratulations everyone!

im excited dont, get me wrong: but a little miffed i go to donate today, and find overnight the last push was made. without me!?

what are your thoughts on slacker backing crewfunded crowdfunding? :p

seriously though, how would any extra funds be allocated towards Deadfire? still more than willing to pitch in. or would it be more feasible just to up my pledge *pledge*??

let me know guys! regardless this is a great community legend in the making. made really. <3 

• Like 2

im excited dont, get me wrong: but a little miffed i go to donate today, and find overnight the last push was made. without me!?

seriously though, how would any extra funds be allocated towards Deadfire? still more than willing to pitch in. or would it be more feasible just to up my pledge *pledge*??

let me know guys! regardless this is a great community legend in the making. made really. <3 

There's further pledging available; another 400 bucks (or around there, not an exact figure!) for "Create an Item" in addition to the Pirate Crew that we already achieved, so your donation would *totally* be appreciated!

There's another thread dedicated to a poll and discussion about the item--what we would want it to be, etc.

• Like 2

Btw, congrats to everyone!!! We made it! What a great group we have here, I'm proud to be a part of it.      :dancing:

Thanks to each and every contributor, and extra special thanks to Cap Fluffle and our mysterious donor!

• Like 5

Okay interesting, I found this wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

This totally fits the Huana/Archipelago theme. Very nice!

I've already said this, but again, IMO this item is too perfect. It's unique—I've never heard of it, I can't pronounce it, and it's beautiful. Seems to fit the setting 100% and it's laced with Obsidian shards. Oh yeesssss, pleeease!

I was also among the folks asking for whips in the game, so I really like your cat o' nine tails idea Boeroer.

Still, my vote goes to the "Bastard Maker" macuahuitl.

Edited by sp3cw4r
  • Like 1

The problem with both whips and the macuahuitl is that the 3D assets do not exist. With the create an item pledge, we are forced to choose from already in game weapon types no?      :getlost:

Edited by sp3cw4r

I really like the concept of an obsidian bastard sword even if it's completely unworkable in real life. If that's not doable then maybe a ring or some other sort of jewelry made out of obsidian.

Who needs realism when you have COOLism.

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

I really like the concept of an obsidian bastard sword even if it's completely unworkable in real life. If that's not doable then maybe a ring or some other sort of jewelry made out of obsidian.

Again, you can stab a guy in steel full plate with a stiletto made of *wood*. I don't think realism should factor in!

• Like 2

There's further pledging available; another 400 bucks (or around there, not an exact figure!) for "Create an Item" in addition to the Pirate Crew that we already achieved, so your donation would *totally* be appreciated!

There's another thread dedicated to a poll and discussion about the item--what we would want it to be, etc.

thanks for the follow-up, but here's one right back at ya!

is there a separate paypal for the Create-an-Item pledge? or would i donate to the paypal that has been up for the Black Isle Bastards? 

Right. Everything that gets infused with essence in PoE gains some special properties anyways.

PoE's Azureth's Stiletto (the wooden stiletto you mentioned) is a backer item by the way. ;)

Cladhaliath has a core of adra and doesn't break.

Argwe's Adra... Adra Animats... there are enough examples that magic and animancy can prevent shattering of otherwise brittle objects.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

thanks for the follow-up, but here's one right back at ya!

is there a separate paypal for the Create-an-Item pledge? or would i donate to the paypal that has been up for the Black Isle Bastards?

The PayPal that has been used for the Black Isle Bastards so far :).

• Like 1

Yeah, I vote for the unpronounceable mexican sword - as people have said, it's perfect. 

• Like 3

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Oh guys, this may be a bit off topic, but for old times' sake I'll post it. This whole talk of obsidian reminded me of an old video game I used to play and like a lot. It's called "Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror". Maybe some of you know it.

Just for old times' sake I'd like to share this:

The objective of the game to find three stones made of... *drummroll* obsidian in order to trap Tezcatlipoca once and for all.

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

So, suppose we reach the Create an Item goal, what did you have in mind, Captain Fluffy, if anything. I know obsidian has final say, but you are the Captain of this crew of bastards, so I'm curious as to your thoughts.

• Like 1

So, suppose we reach the Create an Item goal, what did you have in mind, Captain Fluffy, if anything. I know obsidian has final say, but you are the Captain of this crew of bastards, so I'm curious as to your thoughts.

At the moment I am in favor of the Macuahuitl.

You can see pictures and videos of this "sword" on this thread starting on page three (scroll down a bit).

The basic idea is a "wooden sword with razor sharp obsidian blades". But mind you, actually obsidian blades are even sharper than any normal razor blades.

That said, I do not decide it. We will collect ideas in that thread, that I linked to.

And once we have enough proposals, I'll set up a poll.

However, as with every poll, Obsidian is not bound to the results. Keep that in mind.

As you said, Obsidian has the final say.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Yeah, I prefer an obsidian bastard sword to something like the Macuahuitl. 

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I would be okay with both. I think the macuauitl would be more unique and interesting, bur the obsidian bastard sword would be a more direct homage to Obsidian and honestly might have a better chance of being implemented in the way we draw it up.

We could name the Obsidian bastard sword "Beta Protocol". :dancing:

• Like 2