Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

That is quite a cool idea actually.

• Like 1

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Now let's get that item into the game!

Suggestions for kind of item and name?

- cat o'nine tails (flail): "Squid"

- bastard sword (great sword or sword): "The Mongrel"

or hey! A ledger (trinket) with some nice passive property - or a 1/rest summon of a random BIB crewmember - with all the "victims" of the BIBs in it. Hahaha... sneaking in through the backdoor. ;)

Stuff like that? :)

Edit: Wow - I got ninja'd so hard...  :blink:

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 5

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

^^^ "Captains log, supplemental"

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Holy moley, we got there! Awesome. Thanks all donators, and Fluffle for organizing it.  :w00t:

I'll be pitching in another twenty towards the stretch goal. I wonder if the "Create an item" tier includes the possibility of creating items that can be used on the player ship? A Shrapnel Cannon would be pretty dope.

Edited by Matched
  • Like 3

Holy moley, we got there! Awesome. Thanks all donators, and Fluffle for organizing it.  :w00t:

I'll be pitching in another twenty towards the stretch goal. I wonder if the "Create an item" tier includes the possibility of creating items that can be used on the player ship? A Shrapnel Cannon would be pretty dope.

At the moment I would imagine the item to be a piece of equipment for a character. I think that is what that tier is about.

Anything concerning the ship is already in our funded "Build a pirate party" tier. Though I do not know to which extend we can influence the design of and the items on the ship.

But let's not mix these two things ;)

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

At the moment I would imagine the item to be a piece of equipment for a character. I think that is what that tier is about.

Anything concerning the ship is already in our funded "Build a pirate party" tier. Though I do not know to which extend we can influence the design of and the items on the ship.

But let's not mix these two things ;)

Fair enough. Figured as much. :)

Non the less, looking forward to seeing what ideas people have. I really like your Obsidian weapon suggestion.

• Like 1

A unique "obsidian" (actually just black painted adra!) pegleg, used as a mace, which contains within it the soul of the BIB founder, a kind and gentle, almost one might say fluffy, person who really dislikes being used to crush peoples skulls and complains about such often.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 3

I'm really puzzling my head over the "bastard" part of that bastard sword. I mean usually you could wield such a sword with either two hands or one hand. I don't know if OBS has planned such features in POE2 anyways, but it would be cool if we could come up with some simple solution how to make that bastard sword usable with either one or two hands. I can't think of any though...

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

There's one little thing that I find problematic. Would an actual bastard sword made of obsidian actual work in reality?

I know that obsidian daggers exist in our world:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/obsidian-knife/

http://imgur.com/gallery/jQe6o

And boy I really LOVE this one, hold your breath!

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1363.html

But would an obsidian sword really work in contrast to a dagger in reality?

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

There's one little thing that I find problematic. Would an actual bastard sword made of obsidian actual work in reality?

I know that obsidian daggers exist in our world:

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/obsidian-knife/

http://imgur.com/gallery/jQe6o

And boy I really LOVE this one, hold your breath!

http://therionarms.com/reenact/therionarms_c1363.html

But would an obsidian sword really work in contrast to a dagger in reality?

MagicTM;)

Also, maybe a modal for one-hand and two-hand?

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 2

Heh, yes I was waiting for someone to say "magic" :p

It's okay, sometimes I tend to be picky when it comes to realism.

One thing though I would really like to know if in reality you could make a good, usable sword out of obsidian. Independently from whether we go for an obsidian sword or not.

I would like to know if it would be possible in our world.

I have that feeling, that an actual sword of obsidian might break actually if you tried to use it like a sword made of metal.

But I don't know. I would need someone with knowledge on this. Anyone? :)

Probably not.

While being very sharp, obsidian is (in my limited experience) not very resistant to impacts. Similarly to a diamond, I guess. So, sustained high strength impacts on armour would likely break the sword.

Mezoamericans used it mostly against organic based armour (skins, hides, wood, etc), so it would have been far more effective. I'm pretty sure it couldn't pierce the Spaniard's breastplates.

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 1

Congratulations everybody! :dancing:

Can't wait to finally meet the Black Isle Bastards ingame. It will be fun.

Only one question remains ... mysterious stranger, who are you? :shifty:

I'd like to give special thanks to Fluffle for his memorable initiative and thank you to all involved, too.  :thumbsup:

• Like 5

38r7zxku.png

Damn, this got funded before I could donate.

I'll throw in for the item when I get off work today. I'll throw an oddball idea that the item is a summoning totem that summons a ghost pirate. Call it "The Bastards' Banner" or something.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I love the idea of an Obsidian bastard sword, and throughout history, not only daggers, but even swords and scimitars have been made by knappable stone, like volcanic Obsidian and flint. Here's a Bronze Age sword from Denmark next to one of bronze: 

889d86ec8b.jpg

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Okay interesting, I found this wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

Oooh. That....that's *really* excellent. I knew about that weapon type, but hadn't considered it for this. It's perfect--a weapon that should in theory fit with the Huana culture to some extent, is unique and instantly identifiable, includes obsidian within it's design, and actually exists in the real world as a viable weapon. It could even be explained easily as either pirated during a raid or given to the BIB leader as a symbol of acceptance from the Huana--which, after all, probably live on the Black Isle just as they do on every other habitable island in the Deadfire.

That's damn near perfect.

• Like 1

Yay!!! :grin:

Congratulations all! :)

---

Obsidian sword:

As for realism: I seriously doubt that nice obsidian short sword would survive the first few fights, esp. when you're up against shields or metal armour. Obsidian has one advantage - it's effing sharp. So it's good enough for knives that are intended for hunting, or just general use. And as used in Aztec swords - as small blades on a wooden club - it was reasonably effective in a region that didn't have to care about metal. But breaking was a problem even for those small pieces on an Aztec sword when dealing with Spanish armour or chainmail, and the longer and thinner it gets, the easier it breaks. Such a sword blade completely made from obsidian would be really brittle and not a very good weapon in PoE's world.

As for PoE: Whether "strengthened by magical means" is enough handwaving, probably depends on who you ask. :D

Or just go with that macuahuitl sword - why invent things twice? ;)

Edited by Varana
  • Like 2

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

Let's see. In PoE, we have bladed or blunt weapons usable against solid iron full plate which are made of:

--Wood
--Palasite (britle meteoric iron containing large chunks of peridot)

--Gilded bronze
--Moon rock

Also, shields made of wood which suffer literally *no* damage of *any* sort when hit by large iron axes repeatedly.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2