Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

I think everyone who posted here about Boeroer's idea just thinks it is very funny, not that it would attract more backers for this initiative. We want it for the lulz and that's it :D

And that is okay. And that is why I'm in favor of his idea and why I support it. Because it's fun.

And we should do it because it's fun.

But not because we try to appeal to people who would not donate on this otherwise anyway.

So now let's start an even more trickier discussion: What should be the minimum amount of donation for being mentioned in the game?

$10?

$20?

$30?

2c0bc3c6cb57f321a926cece6962481518f5f682

• Like 5

I think everyone who posted here about Boeroer's idea just thinks it is very funny, not that it would attract more backers for this initiative. We want it for the lulz and that's it :D

And that is okay. And that is why I'm in favor of his idea and why I support it. Because it's fun.

And we should do it because it's fun.

But not because we try to appeal to people who would not donate on this otherwise anyway.

So now let's start an even more trickier discussion: What should be the minimum amount of donation for being mentioned in the game?

$10?

$20?

$30?

Well I don't mind any of those numbers, but I wonder if I donate a second time before the end of this campaign will my two donations be combined to determine this? Does Paypal tell you your donor's names?

Well I don't mind any of those numbers, but I wonder if I donate a second time before the end of this campaign will my two donations be combined to determine this? Does Paypal tell you your donor's names?

AFAIK PayPal tells the donors e-mail, so if you use the same one multiple times, you're probably OK.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

AFAIK PayPal tells the donors e-mail, so if you use the same one multiple times, you're probably OK.

Yes I see the email. So if you donate multiple times you should always use the same PayPal Account with the same email address.

So of course if that applies all your donations would be taken into account!

Just as I combined the 3 donations of $333 by the same donator to determine the biggest donation of $999.

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I'm totally fine with the idea of a couple of idiots people from the younger, more self-confident and fun orientated generation donating just for ingame recognition, as long as it makes the BIB possible.

Edit: Not that I didn't like Boeroers idea. On the contrary. I think it's very funny.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 3

---

We're all doomed

Heh please let's not start name calling.

I am very curious why so many vote on the poll but do not even donate $1, but that's not a reason to insult them.

I'm rather genuinely intrigued by their behavior and would like to know the reason.

But resorting to insults will most likely ensure that people who feel offended by it will not donate. And independent from that,

we shouldn't insult anyone for not donating, because it's their decision how to spend their money.

I think we can make the BIB possible even without ingame recognition. However, we should still pursue Boeroer's idea because it's fun.

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I am very curious why so many vote on the poll but do not even donate $1, but that's not a reason to insult them.

I'm rather genuinely intrigued by their behavior and would like to know the reason.

That's the same thing since the beggining of time:

- Would you support our right to blah-blah-blah?

- Hell yeah I would.

- Then come with us.

- Nah, gonna stay home and sit this one out.

• Like 5

I really do not want my name in game. It's fine that there is a mention for backers in the credits, but in game I'd really rather not run across myself. That would break it for me. I'm talking from experience, since "Thaos" clearly was based on my name and that was enough.   :dancing:

• Like 5

I really do not want my name in game. It's fine that there is a mention for backers in the credits, but in game I'd really rather not run across myself. That would break it for me. I'm talking from experience, since "Thaos" clearly was based on my name and that was enough.   :dancing:

Yes, we would have to treat this with utmost care as to not break immersion. I don't think anyone wants the experience from the tombstones in PoE1 again.

• Like 5

Yes, we would have to treat this with utmost care as to not break immersion. I don't think anyone wants the experience from the tombstones in PoE1 again.

Presumably it would be voluntary. Each person who backed this by $X should have to let Fluffle know if they want their name included, with the default option being no so that no one gets included by accident.

EDIT: also I would suggest an option for people to use a nickname (for example their forum name) in place of their real name if they want to.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 3

Presumably it would be voluntary. Each person who backed this by $X should have to let Fluffle know if they want their name included, with the default option being no so that no one gets included by accident.

EDIT: also I would suggest an option for people to use a nickname (for example their forum name) in place of their real name if they want to.

Actually I fear that forum names and real names can have quite a high potential to risk breaking immersion.

So I would rather suggest that people pick a fantasy name that fits the game. And this fantasy name can be based upon their real name or forum name.

Real names or forum names would belong in the game credits to my opinion, but not in the actual game itself.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

That's fair. To be honest I'd probably prefer an in character in game name. I can come up with a fancy Vailian name :D

Yes, something like this. And Illathid's suggestion was also nice: a short list of what was plundered. This can be used to "flesh" it out and can also be fun. Not too fancy and weird stuff though.

You don't necessarily even give a name, a description could also be ok. Maybe sometimes the victims just didn't give names when they fought back and resisted being robbed.

Something like

- Blueish, black bearded orlan slaver from Readceras: 11 gladiator slaves of different race, gender and build, including equipment

- Chatty Death Godlike with horns, origin unknown: brigandine, a pistol and a ledger with some weird writings about death and light. Obviously nuts

- Captain F. Luflé from the Vaillian Republics: 250 gold ducs, fine rapier and pistol with golden inlays and a white, powdered whig

- Jerrek Krûger, barbarian from The Living Lands: fine shield and spear and a rusty armor as well as 20 exquisite bear hides 

could give enough hints, is fun to read (I guess) and wouldn't break immersion. And if it's in a ledger that's lying around somewhere...

Some forum names around here are not too bad actually. Of course you can always come up with a fitting ingame name. There are some examples of names in the wiki for most PoE cultures. 

As for the amount that would be needed to get in there: no idea? Maybe 20$? Just my first impulse.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

- Blueish, black bearded orlan slaver from Readceras: 11 gladiator slaves of different race, gender and build, including equipment

- Captain F. Luflé from the Vaillian Republics: 250 gold ducs, fine rapier and pistol with golden inlays and a white, powdered whig

- Jerrek Krûger, barbarian from The Living Lands: fine shield and spear and a rusty armor as well as 20 exquisite bear hides 

Mess Îer, Glanfathan raider, 31 adra eniachs :dancing: 

j/k (my pledges are probably too small)

• Like 4

Just remembered this and kicked out $20.09.

I'll be sure to kick out some more money when I get paid.

I really like the whole loot list thing for backer recognition. Outside of someone making a PoE name generator that follows naming rules in the game this is probably the best bet to not break immersion.

Scrappy dressed Meadow Folk male, two bottles of oil, jar of ashes, sack of rat figurines. (weirdo)

• Like 5

Well my original idea was for the loot to be based on your contribution to the BIB. So because I contributed $20 (so far) the BIB have looted 20 Silver Fenning. But if people want a free for all that works too.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Well my original idea was for the loot to be based on your contribution to the BIB. So because I contributed $20 (so far) the BIB have looted 20 Silver Fenning. But if people want a free for all that works too.

Huh, I quite like that. Bonus points if the chest containing the book also contains the equivalent amount of in game money.

EDIT: although I guess that would pretty much be guaranteed to be around 5000cp, which depending on when the encounter happens, might be rather a lot.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 2

True, 5000cp would be a lot of money to be found in game. Unless some of it has already been stolen/used/lost by other crew members. Also given the 'open world' nature of the game someone could just go to this island and pick up a ton of cash easy at the start.

Maybe have the in game cash reward capped at like 250cp. Then have the rest found at the very end of the game making it somewhat useless? Or maybe small caches of money around the world map that would equal the 5k? Although that would be a bit much for the developers. 

Or maybe finding out that much of it was scattered among the reefs in a wreck.

Well, when you do the Doemenel faction quests in PoE1 you can get 10000cp. So it depends what you have to do in order to find the 5000cp. Alternatively there could also be some gems with the same value - if those can be used in enchanting and crafting they won't inflate your purse as much.

Also, in PoE some stuff was really expensive: To buy the medallion from Serel you'd have to pay 6000cp. And 1000cp just to get to her. 

The thing that was always like a gold pot for me is Raedrics Castle. Kill and loot all enemies and you will be rich as King Rich-art.

So it depends... :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Mess Îer, Glanfathan raider, 31 adra eniachs :dancing:

j/k (my pledges are probably too small)

One (1) Large Ham!  Armed with mace and winged helmet.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Yes, something like this. And Illathid's suggestion was also nice: a short list of what was plundered.

As s-he said Illathid's suggestion was to link the loot to our pledges, the loot list itself was mine :p

Replacing names with descriptions could be better indeed, actually it would be a bit weird for pirates to know all the names of the people they robbed... Unless they have some sort of enquiry after each operation? "So, who are you and where do you come from? Is this your first pirate encounter? How would you rate our boarding technique?"

• Like 2

Haha... nice! :lol:

Well, some victims might boast and say something like "Don't you know who I am? I am Lord Popelmar III of Humkenstein! This will have dire consequences!"

• Like 2

Funded! This looks awesome!  I could be a Goldpact Knight type for the crew ;) lol if its done that way.

PS I didnt get the option for the Forum Badge.  Where is it?

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 2

Have gun will travel.