Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

It was our very generous anonymous donator who only donates in batches of $333 :)

That was his or her 3rd donation of that kind, thank you very much!

OMG, just how much money did that person give in total? They must be very nostalgic of the Black Isle days and/or really love pirates.

Edit : saw the first post and understood that this person donated 999 in total. But it's not the same person that donated 900 the other day, right? So we have two rich (or insanely dedicated) benefactors :D

Edited by Pinsalinj

It was our very generous anonymous donator who only donates in batches of $333 :)

That was his or her 3rd donation of that kind, thank you very much!

Salty seadogs, I reckon we have our new captain. Welcome aboard!

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

New captain? I see... my crew is mutinying! :skull: 

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Heh! For some reason, I've envisioned you the quartermaster of the Black Isle Bastards. ;)

This is what Wikipedia has to say about them quartermasters:

"In fact, pirate quartermasters were a counterbalance to the captain and had the power to veto his orders."

Overall, the more I read about pirates, the more amped up I get about the prospect of playing PoE2 and discovering the Black Isle and the Black Isle Bastards. I really do hope this great initiative gets funded, and then perhaps we'll get to experience a cool mutiny or something in-game. :)  

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Update on the funny observation:

- 201 people voted

- 45 people donated 2967$

If the 156 people who voted but didn't donate (yet) will give 10$ each we would be there.  :dancing: Sounds not too hard. It's doable folks!  :yes:

I think a lot of people would like to get some kind of recognition for donating - which I can understand. So maybe a book/ledger/whatever with names of the (former) crew members (with lore-friendly names) would motivate a bit. I know we can't make promises. Or maybe we could ask for another unique forum rank title or a small addition to the BIB badge or something with what you can show off a bit. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Update on the funny observation:

- 201 people voted

- 45 people donated 2967$

If the 156 people who voted but didn't donate (yet) will give 10$ each we would be there.  :dancing: Sounds not too hard. It's doable folks!  :yes:

I think a lot of people would like to get some kind of recognition for donating - which I can understand. So maybe a book/ledger/whatever with names of the (former) crew members (with lore-friendly names) would motivate a bit. I know we can't make promises. Or maybe we could ask for another unique forum rank title or a small addition to the BIB badge or something with what you can show off a bit. :)

This is a difficult topic I think.

I do understand the appeal of ingame recognition. Now imagine we would have ingame recognition for about 200 people. Each of them having their own individual ingame recognition. Imagine a book/ledger/whatever in the game with about 200 names. I don't find that thought all too exciting I must admit.

On the other hand I really doubt that would work as an incentive to donate on a large scale. Yes for some maybe. But you need to keep in mind that the majority of voters on the polls would not even spend $1 on this.

And I don't know but to me it feels wrong to offer something additional to those who wouldn't even spend $1 on this when we already have 45 backers, some VERY generous among them, who did not pledge just to get immortalized into the game.

In the end you should donate here because you'd like to see the Black Isle Bastards come true. Not because you'd like to get some ingame recognition. This cause is rather for people who'd support Obsidian with additional funds but need an incentive to do so.

So the Black Isle Bastards themselves are already the incentive to give additional money to Obsidian.

And the thought of having an incentive for the incentive... that just doesn't feel right to me.

This is a community project, it's not about individuals. That's my interpretation. I am not excluding some form of ingame recognition but I simply cannot make any promises on this, not at this point anyway.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Sure, sure - all true. But would a book with up to 200 names in it truly hurt? Or a crew member list or whatever? I mean nobody would be forced to read it and it also wouldn't break immersion if the "pirate" names are not too goofy.

Could also be a list of names who the BIBs robbed. I mean this crew is literally taking our money - so why not find a list of individuals the BIBs stole from? ;)

I know we talked about this before. But honestly is it such a big thing to ask for?

I'm not asking for me - but when I think about those people who stint themselves for being able to contribute to this crew I feel like they deserve at least some form of mentioning (that shouldn't produce a lot of work on OBS's side of course).

• Like 1

Sure, sure - all true. But would a book with up to 200 names in it truly hurt? Or a crew member list or whatever? I mean nobody would be forced to read it and it also wouldn't break immersion if the "pirate" names are not too goofy.

Could also be a list of names who the BIBs robbed. I mean this crew is literally taking our money - so why not find a list of individuals the BIBs stole from? ;)

I know we talked about this before. But honestly is it such a big thing to ask for?

I'm not asking for me - but when I think about those people who stint themselves for being able to contribute to this crew I feel like they deserve at least some form of mentioning (that shouldn't produce a lot of work on OBS's side of course).

No, it certainly would NOT hurt, of course not. And as I said I haven't excluded anything. And it is NOT much to ask. I just cannot make any promises at the moment that's the problem.

The other matter is my personal point of view on this. I am all for rewarding people who have already donated not just because they would like to be immortalized into the game but because they want the BIB to come true in the game.

But to me it feels wrong to add something additional to reward people who have held off from contributing so far. There are so many people who would not even spend $1 on this.

I don't like the thought of rewarding those people for holding off so long from just donating $1.

And think about it - what if it doesn't work? Then we would have to make new promises. One after the other.

And where does this lead to? It could actually STOP people from donating because they'd want that we add more and more before they would even consider donating.

That is just my personal opinion and fear. That does not mean that I am generally against some sort of recognition, I am not.

I think that people like you who donate quite a lot and don't ask for anything in return - such people would actually DESERVE some kind of recognition.

But people who wouldn't even consider donating $1 on this unless there was some kind of ingame recognition? It feels so wrong to my mind to reward them.

• Like 3

Hehe, I know what you mean. We could discuss about things like "you have to give at least 10$ in order to be mentioned as 'victim' of the BIB" or something.

I mean why would the BIBs write down every poor guy they robbed 1 copper from - the paper & ink would be more expensive than that. ;)

I agree that giving 1$ only in order to get mentioned in the game is pretty lame and feels like skimming the milk. But maybe for some dedicated but "poor" people 5$ already is a lot of money to be spent on such "unimportant" things (compared to food and rent and medicine and so on). It's tricky... 

I don't care about in-game recognition, but this is hilarious. And would be even more with a list of stupid/useless loot associated with each name :D But that would be way too much work for writers.

• Like 4

Did send another batch by the way...

Thank you very much, that pushed us over $3000 and thereby over 60%! :)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

I don't care about in-game recognition, but this is hilarious. And would be even more with a list of stupid/useless loot associated with each name :D But that would be way too much work for writers.

Yeah, Boeroer's idea has quite the comical quality to it! I love the idea! :)

However, unlike you, I'd say that the amount of work to complete such a list is but a minor nuisance to peeps working in the literary field, as it were. It's certainly doable and perhaps even viable.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think a list wouldn't be too hard. I could see something like this:

-Lord illathid: 20 Silver Fenning and an oddly shaped skull

would want a more lore appropriate name, but you get the picture.

• Like 4

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Yeah, it needs to be in keeping with the Pillars lore, unlike those tomb stones in PoE, for instance. But we know now that Obsidian has learned from their mistakes in that regard.

• Like 1

"Lord Illathid" for example sounds quite lore friendly to me. It's not like "Mister Potatohead" like you could find in the CRPG Guestbook in PoE1. :)

Could easily be a seafaring noble who got robbed - I mean Lord Illathid, not the Potatohead...

I do like the idea too.

But remember we would want to motivate people who haven't spend $1 on this so far.

And I have so many doubts that for an entry like

"Lord illathid: 20 Silver Fenning and an oddly shaped skull"

someone would donate $20 (or $10) when until now they would donate nothing at all.

So let us distinguish two things here:

1.) Yes, ingame recognition is nice and fun. And I especially like Boeroer's idea.

2.) I think it's an illusion that offering an ingame recognition will motivate people to donate in masses. Especially people who would not spent $1 on this without that kind of ingame recognition.

And if people did suddenly actually start to donate in masses because we offer ingame recognition well then I would wonder what they would actually be pledging for.

As in: "Before ingame recognition the BIB are not worth $1 of mine."

And then: "Oh they offer ingame recognition. That's worthy of my $20 (or $10)."

I would have a hard time to interpret that as support for the BIB.

That does NOT mean that there should be no ingame recognition. And I can propose Boeroer's idea to Aarik if you'd like me to. But please let us not pretend that that will make people donate who have seen this project and decided to not donate for it.

Worst case would be that people start complaining that they have to "pay" so much to get mentioned ingame...

• Like 1

I think everyone who posted here about Boeroer's idea just thinks it is very funny, not that it would attract more backers for this initiative. We want it for the lulz and that's it :D

And that is okay. And that is why I'm in favor of his idea and why I support it. Because it's fun.

And we should do it because it's fun.

But not because we try to appeal to people who would not donate on this otherwise anyway.

So now let's start an even more trickier discussion: What should be the minimum amount of donation for being mentioned in the game?

$10?

$20?

$30?

• Like 1