Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

You made a Youtube channel for the BIBs? Splendid! :)

Actually it was a friend who made that channel ;) I can't take credit for that^^

But he did give me access so I can make changes if need arises.

@JerekKrueger welcome to the club of donators :D

You are awesome as is everyone else who donated, thank you!

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Really nice progress we have here! I didn't have the time to read thru the new posts yet, maybe later I can participate more in the brainstorming.

So there are about 2 months from now to reach a higher goal!

Good that they limit this, so that all late backers are motivated by the dead-line and 2 paychecks come till the end. ^^

Hungarian localization in progress  :w00t:

Really nice progress we have here! I didn't have the time to read thru the new posts yet, maybe later I can participate more in the brainstorming.

So there are about 2 months from now to reach a higher goal!

Good that they limit this, so that all late backers are motivated by the dead-line and 2 paychecks come till the end. ^^

Where did they set the deadline? I haven't seen any official post about that yet.

Edit: Ok, I have found the post. They mention the deadline in Update 20 of the Fig campaign.

Edited by Fluffle

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I will now set a deadline, starting today it is going to be 50 days.

It's a little bit earlier than the deadline mentioned in Update 20 of the Fig campaign because by default I will refund ALL donations.

But if some people would then like to buy a lesser tier together we would still have some time to realize that.

So deadline is set on April 20th 2017 23.59PM.

• Like 2

But the pledges given so far are already updated in kickstarter or i will be refunded and i have to pledges only on kickstarter?

Hi Dr <3 :)

This project here is a private project. The community is collecting money to buy a pirate crew.

This project has nothing to do with Fig or Kickstarter. And thereby it has nothing to do with your individual pledges on the Fig campaign.

I only use the word "kickstart" in the title to make it clear that this is like a kickstarter project.

If we fail to raise $5000 by the deadline (20th April) then I will refund the donations for this private project.

That has nothing to do with any other pledges anywhere else.

• Like 1

Good news! In summer our family will move to Bukarest for three years and we were given the (great) infos around that new job position. So I was able to convince my wife (while she was going into paroxysms of delight) that it's totally necessary to spend more money on "BIB crew".

"Whooohoo... What? Pipcrew? Yeah-yeah whatever... wheeeezee!". ;)

Expect some more coins - sooner or later. :)

• Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

@Taurus

Hi there, that sounds great :) Thank you for your support.

@Boeroer

That's how you convince your wife, well done! And thank you :D

Hope, you'll have a great time in Bukarest with your family :)

• Like 1

I really want to be part of this, unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed (career change) and I spent an unreasonable amount on the Fig campaign already (including the BIB badge). I'll try to throw a few dollars your way later.

Best of luck in the meantime!!

• Like 3

I really want to be part of this, unfortunately, I'm currently unemployed (career change) and I spent an unreasonable amount on the Fig campaign already (including the BIB badge). I'll try to throw a few dollars your way later.

Best of luck in the meantime!!

Hi dukeisaac, thank you :)

I think it's very admirable when someone can just barely spare a few dollars and decides to donate them to our cause.

We would be happy to welcome you to be part of this if you decided to donate to our cause.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

So I asked Aarik about modelling the Black Isle Bastards after villains from the Black Isle games.

In theory he doesn't see any reason right off the bat why that should not be possible.

But he said that Bobby and Adam might have thoughts on that.

So I would say it is a maybe.

Also there's not a definite answer yet about the game credits. Aarik said it was more likely that whole groups are mentioned in the credits than individuals. That would concern option A) from the donators recognition options.

The whole problem that I see here is that I can only get definite answers on things once we already have the $5000.

But I need to know some things in advance to motivate people to donate in the first place.

It's a bit of a problematic situation. On the other hand our project is based on the faith in Obsidian that

they will turn our pirate crew into a remarkable and memorable encounter, whichever way they'd decide to implement them.

• Like 2

So I asked Aarik about modelling the Black Isle Bastards after villains from the Black Isle games.

In theory he doesn't see any reason right off the bat why that should not be possible.

Also there's not a definite answer yet about the game credits. Aarik said it was more likely that whole groups are mentioned in the credits than individuals. That would concern option A) from the donators recognition options.

The whole problem that I see here is that I can only get definite answers on things once we already have the $5000.

But I need to know some things in advance to motivate people to donate in the first place.

It's a bit of a problematic situation. On the other hand our project is based on the faith in Obsidian that

they will turn our pirate crew into a remarkable and memorable encounter, whichever way they'd decide to implement them.

Yeah, it sounds like you're caught between a rock and a hard place here.  If there's anything I can do to help let me know, though all I can see being doable is waiting to see if we get the numbers for now.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

That could be an issue if copyrights for those characters come into play. I know for one that Avellone spoke about not being able to include Ravel or a Ravel-like character into Tides of Numenera precisely because the Planescape setting and the characters of Torment were not owned by them at the time. If this was an issue for him I can see how the above could be an issue with Obsidian. Which sucks, of course.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

That could be an issue if copyrights for those characters come into play. I know for one that Avellone spoke about not being able to include Ravel or a Ravel-like character into Tides of Numenera precisely because the Planescape setting and the characters of Torment were not owned by them at the time. If this was an issue for him I can see how the above could be an issue with Obsidian. Which sucks, of course.

Yes, I shared the same concern which is why I talked to Aarik about this too. I presented him the example from  illathid:

"So for example you'd have Ferenc the greenish coastal Aumaua. He'd be a big angry brute who used to work for Dunryd Row as an enforcer."

That would be a reference to "Frank Horrigan" from Fallout. And Aarik said to his opinion that would not cause IP/copyright issues.

Personally I think if the reference is subtle enough and if you don't use the names of the original characters then it should work.

But if any of the other developers thinks that it actually is too risky, of course then it wouldn't work.

So, no promises ;) As I said, it's a maybe.

Nice nice!!! Just waiting a bit for my new paycheck and will drop in some more for the crew. :D

It would be cool to see to get this idea funded! :)

I didn't read thru all the posts yet, but did you consider digging deeper into real pirates life and motives instead of following the well known cliche things? It could give a lot more belivability for the crew. I'm not into history that much, but maybe some of us is?

By the way, did Obsidian give details how deep everything can be? I guess only lead lines for them like the poll questions, or much more?

Edited by warg
  • Like 4

Hungarian localization in progress  :w00t:

Ahoy my salty mates,

in one night our funds leaped from 25% to 50% thanks to two VERY generous and dedicated donators.

A huge thank you to the two of you and to everyone who has donated to our cause.

Our spirits have risen, our hope has returned, and our dreams might finally come true.

We have mastered half of our way. A big thank you to everyone!

Now, onward I say, let's take on the second half of our goal!

• Like 16