Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

So I did ask Aarik about if the developers would like to model the pirates after themselves.

The answer was that they'd probably not be keen on it.

And he was fairly certain that especially Josh and Feargus wouldn't be thrilled by that idea at all.

Personally I understand that. Aarik didn't give any reasons, I don't think he has to.

Let us just respect their wishes on this matter and move on ;)

I still think a call out to some of the outstanding Black Isle NPCs of old would be a great way to do it. Ravel, Frank Horrigan, Belhifet, etc. rather than actual employees. But that's just me.

I for myself would not be fond of that, unless done subtly. Too many references to other IPs might not help with my immersion into this game. I'd rather create a very unique bunch of buccaneers, with their own personalities and character traits. We could use this forum to discuss and develop the individuals in this pirate party as well.

Yes, subtlety would be the key to that idea. Hence why I asked for examples, I'd like to see if there can be ways to make it very subtle but that you can still see the reference.

On the individuals of the crew: The general approach to this is, that we leave that to Obsidian, HOWEVER we can hand in suggestions of course. And I think Ninjamestari did that already for example, on page 9 of this thread (at the top).

You can hand in suggestions anytime, just be aware of the fact that they're just that, suggestions.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

What I would propose now is this:

I would open a new thread where we can collect ideas on the pirate crew members.

Everyone can submit their ideas on individual crew members just like Ninjamestari did.

And then we can let the forum reactions speak for themselves.

Of course, everything would just be suggestions. Always keep that in mind!

Obsidian is always free to deviate from our suggestions.

Edit: On another thought, maybe I shouldn't open a new thread. Because we already have 2 threads about the pirates and one additional thread about the forum badge.

Opening too many threads will harm our cause more than help it.

So better just post your suggestions here ;)

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 1

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

For creating individual pirates, I'd think that the background of the crew should be fixed a bit more.

The general way of going forward is good, though - getting ideas and then letting Obsidian decide how much they can use of those.

(Sorry for posting something a bit contrary again. I really appreciate this effort. :) )

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

I still think a call out to some of the outstanding Black Isle NPCs of old would be a great way to do it. Ravel, Frank Horrigan, Belhifet, etc. rather than actual employees. But that's just me.

Okay, I can inquire that next.

The references would have to be subtle enough I think to not cause any IP issues. I think an example or two would be nice to help me understand what exactly you have in mind, how you envision this.

So for example you'd have Ferenc the greenish coastal Aumaua. He'd be a big angry brute who used to work for Dunryd Row as an enforcer.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So for example you'd have Ferenc the greenish coastal Aumaua. He'd be a big angry brute who used to work for Dunryd Row as an enforcer.

Okay, seems it could work. ;)

I'll ask Aarik about it this week :)

For the record: I have never played any Fallout games. That's why nothing seemed unusual to me about your example. But when I looked up "Frank Horrigan" I understood the reference. That's how the references should work.

I am still curious though, maybe I lack some imagination but could you do some examples for Belhifet and Ravel?

Belhifet could be a fire godlike, couldn't he?

Given the new looks of fire godlikes:

tumblr_okefy8XpcE1rniui0o1_500.png

Edited by Fluffle

I just saw Fluffle updated the OP to say something that I feel is very important - something that's likely keeping people from donating.  I'll reiterate it here.

If this initiative fails to reach $5000 then ALL donations will be refunded IN FULL.

This makes the initiative much more like a KS where you only pay if it funds.  Great policy to implement, Fluffle! 

• Like 1

Okay, seems it could work. ;)

I'll ask Aarik about it this week :)

For the record: I have never played any Fallout games. That's why nothing seemed unusual to me about your example. But when I looked up "Frank Horrigan" I understood the reference. That's how the references should work.

I am still curious though, maybe I lack some imagination but could you do some examples for Belhifet and Ravel?

Belhifet could be a fire godlike, couldn't he?

Yeah, although it wouldn't have to be those characters in specific. Those were just the bosses in PS:T, FO2, and IWD and they popped into my head.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

A while ago the discussion came up, wether or not the term "bastards" already was used in PoE1. It was. Quite frequently indead. Iselmyr shouts something with bastards. I thinks it's when you attack or somebody dies. I don't know what she's saying. I don't understand her because my english is too bad and I didn't read the subtitles, but it clearly has a similar meaning as in reality :)

---

We're all doomed

So I did ask Aarik about if the developers would like to model the pirates after themselves.

And he was fairly certain that especially Josh and Feargus wouldn't be thrilled by that idea at all.

Personally I understand that. Aarik didn't give any reasons, I don't think he has to.

No offense to the developers, but I find this strange.  They're ok showcasing themselves in public on camera all day, but they're so private they're against referencing themselves in a game they're making?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  I'm a private person in real life, and I rather do the latter than the former.

Edited by bonarbill

Maybe they could use their characters from roleplaying games or something like that?

---

We're all doomed

No offense to the developers, but I find this strange.  They're ok showcasing themselves in public on camera all day, but they're so private they're against referencing themselves in a game they're making?  That doesn't make any sense to me.  I'm a private person in real life, and I rather do the latter than the former.

Hi bonarbill,

please keep in mind that we do not know the reasons. I would at this point ask everyone to not speculate about the reasons.

If you really want to know you can try to contact them and ask.

You're already making an assumption about the devs namely that they're too private while at the same time you give reasons why this wouldn't make sense.

Well then it would be for other reasons obviously.

I would ask everyone to respect the developers wish on this. In my opinion they don't have to give reasons for this or "justify" themselves.

But if you think otherwise then please contact them directly yourself.

I would dislike to talk and speculate about them while they're not here themselves.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

I have donated finally, so now I feel its okay to put my oar back in on this and harass everyone about it again.  Because you all so want that right? ;)

• Like 5

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I have donated finally, so now I feel its okay to put my oar back in on this and harass everyone about it again.  Because you all so want that right? ;)

Right.

And thank you very much for your contribution :)

Also thank you to @Idara for donating :)

• Like 3

Yes, just watch the old video on Twitch.tv/obsidian. They keep the videos there for quite some time.

Edit: I made a clip out of it
https://clips.twitch.tv/obsidian/HealthyEchidnaKappaClaus

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, just watch the old video on Twitch.tv/obsidian. They keep the videos there for quite some time.

Good! Just shared that clip on Facebook. Thank you!

Yes! Good idea! Spread the news! Everyone to everywhere! :D

• Like 2

Good! Just shared that clip on Facebook. Thank you!

Yes! Good idea! Spread the news! Everyone to everywhere! :D

Ay ay Captain!

• Like 1