Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

Ahoy there you salty bastards!

Just wanted to drop by and see how you are all doing and I have also contributed to the cause! 

We're are still working hard on getting the Backer Portal up and running so everyone can have the opportunity pledge for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. As for you guys, once you guys collect all of the funds, we will still accept your pledge even after the Fig campaign is completed.

There will be a deadline, but there is no set date at this moment. 

We here at Obsidian wish you all the best in your community crowdfunding for the Black Isle Bastards and hope to see them in the game! 

This is great news! I'll be able to donate more once I get my next pay check. :)

Whats wrong with an old submarine ?? :p

Well i like your idea ;)

I just noticed the "Build a Pirate Party" pledge level is sold out.  Fluff, what does that do to your initiative?

It means that we are still on track :p

Because Obsidian said that even if that happened they would still make our pirate crew if we manage to collect the $5000.

Yep, that's how awesome they are.

Just as they gave us an island for free DESPITE the fact that all island slots had been sold out already. Not to mention that normally we would have had to raise $5000 for an island.

They really want us to succeed.

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Which has nothing to do with this initiative.  BUT thanks for backing Deadfire!  If you want to support this initiative, you need to send Fluff a PayPal donation (in original post).

Oh, sorry, I had assumed that "Join the Black Isle Bastards Crew" extra was for this. I'll redirect my money now :)

• Like 2

Which has nothing to do with this initiative.  BUT thanks for backing Deadfire!  If you want to support this initiative, you need to send Fluff a PayPal donation (in original post).

Oh, sorry, I had assumed that "Join the Black Isle Bastards Crew" extra was for this. I'll redirect my money now :)

Don't worry.  Many people have.  I almost made the same mistake.  It's too bad really.  I wonder how many people added that to their pledge and still don't know it has nothing to do with this initiative.

I just noticed the "Build a Pirate Party" pledge level is sold out.  Fluff, what does that do to your initiative?

It means that we are still on track :p

Because Obsidian said that even if that happened they would still make our pirate crew if we manage to collect the $5000.

Yep, that's how awesome they are.

Just as they gave us an island for free DESPITE the fact that all island slots had been sold out already. Not to mention that normally we would have had to raise $5000 for an island.

They really want us to succeed.

Nothing, we are special. :) We'll get an additional pirate crew because Aarik is awesome.

.... and why I will likely contribute to this cause.

• Like 1

I think this misunderstanding should be referenced in some funny way when you meet the Black Isle Bastards  :p

It's so stupid xD I mean this situation

I see that it is confusing. It would confuse me too if I didn't know better.

It wasn't planned. It's the result of circumstances.

And as I said I hope one day we can laugh about this xD

Yes, buying the BIB badge does NOT count for this crowd funding. I put in the title now :p

• Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Hey Fluffle,

So if this doesn't fund, here's my suggestion: ask Obsidian to post about this in one of their post-campaign notes, saying that if we manage to fund it by Feb 28 or March something, then they will add it in. People will still be juiced after the campaign's success so if Obsidian says, "hey, here's a chance for more if even only some of you pitch in a $1", that might help get us to 5k.

My other suggestion would be to have a concrete pitch of what the Black Isle will be. Basically, close out the poll last night that our *pitch*, which Obsidian is free to ignore, will be a. a band of noble bastards that we b. help and c. can become honorary members of. 

I would also *strongly* favor my own suggestion that the characters be based off of veteran Black Isle talent (complete with PoE portrait versions) considering this is an ultimate easter egg. If it is Black Isle, then they deserve to be the inhabitants. I also suggest petitioning Obsidian for a variant of what I suggested earlier, too: that if we can somehow get 10k, not only will we get the pirate crew, we'll get an inn on the island. That way, if Obsidian is going to make an easter egg version of themselves, they can have even more fun with the whole setup. The alternative is to endlessly debate in the forums over it, which if the Black Isle had a dungeon, that's where the rest of us should be endlessly arguing about minutia.

Close out the poll, make the decision, and then make your pitch to Obsidian about getting this thing fully-funded.  

Hey Fluffle,

So if this doesn't fund, here's my suggestion: ask Obsidian to post about this in one of their post-campaign notes, saying that if we manage to fund it by Feb 28 or March something, then they will add it in. People will still be juiced after the campaign's success so if Obsidian says, "hey, here's a chance for more if even only some of you pitch in a $1", that might help get us to 5k.

My other suggestion would be to have a concrete pitch of what the Black Isle will be. Basically, close out the poll last night that our *pitch*, which Obsidian is free to ignore, will be a. a band of noble bastards that we b. help and c. can become honorary members of. 

I would also *strongly* favor my own suggestion that the characters be based off of veteran Black Isle talent (complete with PoE portrait versions) considering this is an ultimate easter egg. If it is Black Isle, then they deserve to be the inhabitants. I also suggest petitioning Obsidian for a variant of what I suggested earlier, too: that if we can somehow get 10k, not only will we get the pirate crew, we'll get an inn on the island. That way, if Obsidian is going to make an easter egg version of themselves, they can have even more fun with the whole setup. The alternative is to endlessly debate in the forums over it, which if the Black Isle had a dungeon, that's where the rest of us should be endlessly arguing about minutia.

Close out the poll, make the decision, and then make your pitch to Obsidian about getting this thing fully-funded.  

Obsidian has already mentioned and promoted us in one of their streams, in fact Aarik did.

The design of the Black Isle is completely up to Obsidian. They gave us the island for free but in return they have full control of designing the island, and they should have anyway. Therefore I cannot say what the Black Isle will be like.

About our pirate crew, we are merely collecting suggestions here. Obsidian will be free to design the Black Isle Bastards as they think that they best fit into the game.

We will just make suggestions. That is what the polls are for.

And we do let Obsidian make the decisions and designs so that the pirate crew fits seamlessly into the game, and so that we do not argue over every little detail.

Which in fact we are not, we are simply collecting suggestions here, but we don't make definite decisions.

At the moment, personally, I see no way of raising 10k. People are aware of this. This thread is soon going to have 10,000 views.

And we have 146 votes. And we spammed about this in the Fig comment section so much in fact that people got annoyed at us.

People know about this. We have been heard. People are aware of us.

But of the 146 voters, only 30 decided to donate.

They could simply have run out of money due to the actual main campaign on Fig or this project here simply doesn't appeal to them.

Also sadly many confuse this with the BIB badge.

I like the idea that the Black Isle Bastards in the game would be modeled after the developers themselves, but the developers would have to like and want this.

The implications would be that they are called "bastards". If they take that lightheartedly and they can joke about that, then it's okay.

But it's their decision alone.

There is a lot of fun things we could do. We have a Black Isle. And if we managed to make this pirate crew happen and then work with other backers we could

accomplish quite something. But at the moment only a few individuals are excited by this idea. Not the masses.

And for funding this we would need either the masses or a few very generous and rich donators who are excited by this project.

Edited by Fluffle

So my dear salty bastards,

we have breached $1,000  :biggrin: 

At this point a huge, huge thank you to everyone for participating in this, and a very special thank you to the donators! Among our supporters there have been VERY generous donators, some of which have donated about $100 and one even supported us with $333. A huge thank you to you too!

I know, not everyone can afford to donate such an amount. And every dollar counts. So I thank ALL of you who donated to our cause, no matter the amount. Still the big donations do deserve to be mentioned, in my opinion!

We have still a long way to go, no doubt, but we are one step closer to our goal.

Thank you all of you! You are awesome! Arrr! :skull:

2xoBW1m.png(Credits for the font used on the image go to Raymond Larabie: http://www.1001fonts.com/vinque-font.html#license Credits for the image go to: https://de.fotolia.com/p/205428757 )

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 8

Hey Fluffle, I had a bigger paycheck than I expected. Once I have all of March's bills paid, and I see how much I have leftover, I plan to donate to this cause. It'll probably be around 50 bucks, but it might be more. Just wanted to let you know some more money is on the way in a couple of weeks!

• Like 4

Hey @CottonWolf thank you for your contribution :)

And @TheisEjsing @Kennyrules That sounds great that you guys are going to join our cause. Thank you! ;)

• Like 2

So I did ask Aarik about if the developers would like to model the pirates after themselves.

The answer was that they'd probably not be keen on it.

And he was fairly certain that especially Josh and Feargus wouldn't be thrilled by that idea at all.

Personally I understand that. Aarik didn't give any reasons, I don't think he has to.

Let us just respect their wishes on this matter and move on ;)

• Like 2

So I did ask Aarik about if the developers would like to model the pirates after themselves.

And he was fairly certain that especially Josh and Feargus wouldn't be thrilled by that idea at all.

Personally I understand that. Aarik didn't give any reasons, I don't think he has to.

I still think a call out to some of the outstanding Black Isle NPCs of old would be a great way to do it. Ravel, Frank Horrigan, Belhifet, etc. rather than actual employees. But that's just me.

• Like 1

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I still think a call out to some of the outstanding Black Isle NPCs of old would be a great way to do it. Ravel, Frank Horrigan, Belhifet, etc. rather than actual employees. But that's just me.

Okay, I can inquire that next.

The references would have to be subtle enough I think to not cause any IP issues. I think an example or two would be nice to help me understand what exactly you have in mind, how you envision this.

I for myself would not be fond of that, unless done subtly. Too many references to other IPs might not help with my immersion into this game. I'd rather create a very unique bunch of buccaneers, with their own personalities and character traits. We could use this forum to discuss and develop the individuals in this pirate party as well. Edited by gogocactus