Rejoice! Black Isle Bastards 100% funded! Stretch goal: 55% funded! Thank you everyone!

Vote on the Black Isle Bastards  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How should the player be able to interact with the Black Isle Bastards?

• The Black Isle Bastards are a very tough, optional fight
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of merchants
    • The player can become an honorific member of the Black Isle Bastards
    • The player helps the Black Isle Bastards with some kind of problem
    • No interaction possible, the player can only observe the Black Isle Bastards
    • other (please specify in the comments)
  2. 2. What background should the Black Isle Bastards have?

• The Black Isle Bastards are retired pirates who run an inn in their old ship
    • The Black Isle Bastards are some kind of failed "wanna-be" pirates
    • The Black Isle Bastards are retired corporate raiders who used their wealth to buy an island
    • The Black Isle Bastards are mutineers
    • The Black Isle Bastards are former slaves
    • The Black Isle Bastards are privateers of one nation tasked with raiding ships of another nation
    • The Black Isle Bastards are nobles who fight for the cause of common people
    • The Black Isle Bastards are literally bastards of noble families
    • other (please specify in the comments)

I also suspect that the badge deal is confusing people. No joke; couldn't have confused people more effectively if I set out to design a way to do it.

Yes, I painfully admit that, lol.

It's all because this was very spontaneous and unplanned. As I said originally we wanted to fund an island and we wanted to found an order on this forum.

Then Obsidian gave us the island for free, and offered the badge for our order for sale.

So buying the badge was saying "thank you" to Obsidian for the free island.

Then Obsidian encouraged us to try to crowd fund an actual pirate crew named the Black Isle Bastards.

So now we have a Black Isle that was given to us for free. We have a Black Isle Bastards forum badge that is meant as a "thank you" to Obsidian

for giving us the "Black Isle". And we now actually try to fund the Black Isle Bastards which has nothing to do with the Black Isle Bastards forum badge.

LOL

At this point my apologies for the confusion.

Let us hope that this will turn into a funny anecdote one day :p

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 7

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Works for me. I'm just thinking about it from the polls and giving input side of things... happy to add another small amount as long as our finance minister doesn't get fired... again

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Okay, okay HOLD ON everyone on Fig. No more comments in the comment section there.

We don't want to spam the comments there. For the moment let's drop it.

Thanks to everyone though for your efforts.

We have been heard, we can be sure of that. So we should stop now.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Donated some more $ as promised.

And another good thing, we're about to hit $3,71M with more than 29k backers :)

It's good and bad at the same time. Good, because for 99,99% we'll have more money than on the last campaign, bad because on Kickstarter Obsidian had almost 74k backers! Over 2 times more than now.

I'm really curious why is it like it is. Is it because the campaign is on fig which is less popilar than KS? Or maybe many people didn't like what they had with PoE and decided not to pledge this time. Or maybe something else...

For me PoE is a great game and true succesor for the Baldur's Gate saga. A pitty that PoE 2 won't get more $, but it's good that we are where we are.

• Like 1

Donated some more $ as promised.

And another good thing, we're about to hit $3,71M with more than 29k backers :)

It's good and bad at the same time. Good, because for 99,99% we'll have more money than on the last campaign, bad because on Kickstarter Obsidian had almost 74k backers! Over 2 times more than now.

I'm really curious why is it like it is. Is it because the campaign is on fig which is less popilar than KS? Or maybe many people didn't like what they had with PoE and decided not to pledge this time. Or maybe something else...

For me PoE is a great game and true succesor for the Baldur's Gate saga. A pitty that PoE 2 won't get more $, but it's good that we are where we are.

I guess there are several reasons at play here:

1.) PoE 1 was crowd funded when there was a HUGE hype on crowdfunding in general. People were throwing money at everything that was crowd funded back then (may be a tiny bit exaggerated :p ). Since the crowd funding hype though there have been some huge disappointments in crowd funding projects.

2.) I think Fig is far less known. Never heard of it before Pillars 2, did you? It may also be less popular than Kickstarter.

3.) While I share your interpretation of Pillars of Eternity as a spiritual successor to the IE games I know of MANY people who don't. I know of many people who feel like this is exactly the promise that Obsidian broke. I do not feel that way. For me Pillars of Eternity was exactly what they promised and I love it. It is not flawless of course, I would never say that, but so weren't the IE games.

Now, take a look here. Look at how "many" (i.e. few) people have actually managed to get the achievement "Won the Game!!!"

Fig is more well known in the video game industry--among industry professionals--than it ever has been in the general population. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason Pillars 2 is on Fig is an attempt to bring more knowledge of it to the general population. Feargus is, after all, part of the corporate advisory panel for Fig.

• Like 2

2.) I think Fig is far less known. Never heard of it before Pillars 2, did you? It may also be less popular than Kickstarter.

Actually I did :D I first heard of it when the campaign for Consortium: The tower on KS didn't went well and the developers made another one on FIG. But I understand your point and agree with it.

About the quality of the firs PoE... well, in my country we say "Lords favor rides on a motley horse". The worst guano will be loved, and a true jevel will be hated. This is something which makes as unique and interesting, but sometimes also annoying. Oh well, thier loose, at the end we will stil have an excelent game for us :)

UPDATE

Don't know if it is a well known thing, but I just noticed someone actually bought one of two "Build a pirate party" bundles in the campaign on fig O_o

Well, I'm kinda jelous right now :p Bravo to the people who achieved this. Or to the very rich person :p

Edited by Korin_Haller
  • Like 3

So with Update 16, the question arises if we can combine that somehow with our crowd funding here:

"You can customize, upgrade, and add personal touches to the Defiant. This includes changing your sails, painting your hull, and flying flags to show your personal colors/faction allegiance. You can also improve the performance of your cannons, sails, and hull, beyond just their cosmetic appearance. For example, Dwarven cannons add extra firepower in naval battles, or while upgraded sails give you an extra bit of speed to outmaneuver your opponent. If we hit our $3.5 million stretch goal,we'll add even more new and amazing, unlockable upgrades for your ships. And if we hit our $4 million stretch goal, we will add other ships that you can find, purchase, or even steal during your adventure - to make them your own."

The interaction with the Black Isle Bastards could lead to a cosmetic upgrade of the player's ship or even an upgrade that is more than just cosmetic.

Do you like the idea of flying the Black Isle Bastards' flag? Maybe they'll also show you a trick or two how to enhance your cannons. Or you just steal their superior cannons from them. Or the encounter with the Black Isle Bastards can lead to a different upgrade to the player's ship altogether.

Share your thoughts and ideas!

The player could even steal the Black Isle Bastards' ship... :D

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 4

So with Update 16, the question arises if we can combine that somehow with our crowd funding here:

"You can customize, upgrade, and add personal touches to the Defiant. This includes changing your sails, painting your hull, and flying flags to show your personal colors/faction allegiance. You can also improve the performance of your cannons, sails, and hull, beyond just their cosmetic appearance. For example, Dwarven cannons add extra firepower in naval battles, or while upgraded sails give you an extra bit of speed to outmaneuver your opponent. If we hit our $3.5 million stretch goal,we'll add even more new and amazing, unlockable upgrades for your ships. And if we hit our $4 million stretch goal, we will add other ships that you can find, purchase, or even steal during your adventure - to make them your own."

The interaction with the Black Isle Bastards could lead to a cosmetic upgrade of the player's ship or even an upgrade that is more than just cosmetic.

Do you like the idea of flying the Black Isle Bastards' flag? Maybe they'll also show you a trick or two how to enhance your cannons. Or you just steal their superior cannons from them. Or the encounter with the Black Isle Bastards can lead to a different upgrade to the player's ship altogether.

Share your thoughts and ideas!

The player could even steal the Black Isle Bastards' ship... :D

Been sayin' it since almost the start:

-> Crew Ship destroyed/stolen

-> Crew stranded (on BIB Island)

-> Player reward = Ship Upgrade

• Like 2

I would totally love get that BIB frigate as a player. Much cooler than a whimpy sloop!;)

Maybe the player can redeem the BIBs in some way, lift a curse off that frigate, free the pirates' souls that are bound to it (something like that) and finally inherit the BIB frigate named"Heaving Harlot" (no.1 at the moment I think).

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

All ideas are great, but I can't relate our croudfunding with those changes in the game. For now we don't have enough money to make a BIB crew or ship, If we get to $750 we could make an item in the game, f.e. the BIB flag.

If I'm missing something then sorry, please correct me.

All ideas are great, but I can't relate our croudfunding with those changes in the game. For now we don't have enough money to make a BIB crew or ship, If we get to $750 we could make an item in the game, f.e. the BIB flag.

If I'm missing something then sorry, please correct me.

Well first off, this crowd funding does not end with the Fig campaign. It will go on after that.

Some have speculated and some have already confirmed that they are going to pledge in March with their next wages incoming.

Other than that, it may be that we cannot fund this by the masses but that we need few very dedicated people, who

would be ready to spend a fortune on this.

I would be one of them, but I'd need help of others as well. I already spoke to some.

What I would really dislike is to bend and twist this idea to appeal the masses and in the end it's not what the initial donors of this campaign had in mind.

I don't want to sell the "soul" of this idea, just to get it funded, because then it wouldn't be what we wanted in the first place.

So what is that "soul"?  That "soul" is that we trust Obsidian to make an awesome Black Isle Bastards pirate crew in the game.

We leave the designs and the decisions to them but we do hand in suggestions. However, they are not bound to them.

So what I will be doing next is to await March and see if we will have a surge in funds then.

If not, I will try to find those few very dedicated people.

Edited by Fluffle
  • Like 2

Did you hear that Aarik gave a shout out to us us on the latest Q&A stream with Josh & Bobby? He explicitly told folks to go and help crowdfund this crew. Isn't that great? Thanks, Aarik!  :dancing:

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Other than that, it may be that we cannot fund this by the masses but that we need few very dedicated people, who

would be ready to spend a fortune on this.

I would be one of them, but I'd need help of others as well. I already spoke to some.

Still have to convince my wife... *sigh*

• Like 2

I would make as much interaction possible as Obsidian allows.

Find the ship – get an item, become an honorable member

Piss the BIB off – fight them (Really hard battle).

Steal their ship – fear their wrath

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed