Baseball 2017

Guard Dog

Epaminondas are you liking what the Angels are up to signing Ohtani & Zach Cozart?

Just saw this post. I'm not one of those people who panics after a few years of drought. After all, I've been a Dolphins fan since the 70s. However, it's good to see some new blood. At least Ohtani is young. Cozart is getting on in age, but he's got some skills. I just hope last season didn't end up being his swan song. lol

χαίρετε

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of baseball. I was having drinks with two of my counterparts in Nashville last week and we got to talking about who was the best player to ever play in the majors from the Negro Leagues. It's hard to argue against Jackie but I said if baseball had integrated 10-15 years earlier it would have been Satchel Paige hands down. I mentioned to them that he played for the Miami Marlins once. Of course they laughed at that since the (current) Marlins started in 1993 and were the Florida Marlins until 2011. Paige pitched his last game in 1965 and passed away in 1982, 11 years before the Marlins Inaugural season. Seeing an opportunity I bet them each a drink.

What they didn't know is the Miami Marlins were named for an International League team that played in the Orange Bowl & Miami Stadium in the late '50's. In 1957 they signed Satchel Paige and he pitched in just one game, a 6-2 win over the Columbus Jets.  That day he pitched 8 innings of 1 hit ball AND hit a 3 run double. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Marlins_(International_League)

Nothing tastes better than free whiskey. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Some people on another board I frequent (dedicated solely to baseball) are in a real twist over this Chief Wahoo thing. Branding and logo changes. It didn't use to look like this. In the 40's & 50's it was much worse. And they were not always the Indians. Before that they were the Naps, before that the Spiders, before that the Clippers, and even before that the Forest Citys (pre-1900 semi pro). The Orioles used to be the Browns, the Rangers used to be the Senators, the Brewers used to be the Pilots. The Dodgers used to be the Robins and before thet they were the Superbas. The Yankees were once the Orioles! In Baltimore. The Devil left St. Pete, the Marlins used to be in Florida and the Angels used to be the California Angels (which NEVER made sense).

In the minors the Peoria Chiefs wen from this:

PeoriaChiefs2.GIF

To this:

peoria_chiefs.png

Branding and teams change all the time. They didn't change the name (which WOULD be caving to PC since "Indians" is a generic term that describes no one) so don't get in a huff about it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Braves have been at times Red Stockings, Red Caps, Beaneaters, Doves, Bees with two separate stints as the Braves.  While they've only been the Braves while they've been in Georgia, I wouldn't be against them changing the name.  Particularly if it'd help them create a mascot that wasn't seemingly based on Mr. Met (Homer) or the Phillie Phanatic (Blooper).  Sheesh.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yep. The Red Sox used to be the Americans, the Cubs were both the Orphans and White Stockings and the White Sox used to be the St. Paul Saints. Baseball if great for history and tradition. But I don't really see those as inextricably tied to a logo. That's why the tradition argument falls flat with me. But at the same time I'm 100% against forcing them to change it. But since they did this on their own, good for them .

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Sad to hear Oscar Gamble passed away today. He was only 68. 

Thomas Sowell

Ballpark concession prices at Candlestick Park  in 1977. 

It's gone up a little since then!  :lol:

27336840_580869682264686_285408845655267

Thomas Sowell