Will we be seeing a lot of new dragons in PoE2? Also what I would love most to know if there might be a chance of meeting some old dragon friends in the second game?

I just love dragons and I usually always try to find a way to befriend them even though fighting them is also an epic achievement but so far in PoE1 I still haven't brought myself to do it yet (Also because I was unable to succeed)

Anyway I ask simply because it might affect the play-trough I am currently doing.

Edited by Bluedemonfox

Of course, the Deadfire is populated by uglier monsters than just imperialists. Strange and exotic creatures call the archipelago home -nagas, grubs, imps, unforgettably deadly beetles, and - of course - dragons.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=256#updates

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Dragons really are beautiful creatures (in mind, body, mythology), it's too bad the trope tends to get overused IMHO.  I found the Dragons in Pillars to be tastefully sparse, interesting and powerful - I can only imagine that P2 will be similar..

-tid242

• Like 2

You know, since dragons in this setting gain the features of their environment as they age, I wonder if you took a hatchling and raised it as a pet in a room full of fluffy pink pillows, would it become a fluffy pink pillow dragon?

Finally a dragon Eder can pet!

• Like 1

This description is how I love dragons to be portrayed..  Not just a huge monster, not a flock of them with dude's riding them, etc.  But majestic and awesome in their own right..

"By the end of the poem, gold has suffered a radiation from the Christian vision. It is not that it yet equals the riches in the medieval sense of worldly corruption, just that its status as the ore of all value has been put in doubt. It is lspecial_oe.gifne, transitory, passing from hand to hand, and its changed status is registered as a symptom of the changed world. Once the dragon is disturbed, the melancholy and sense of displacement that pervade the last movement of the poem enter the hoard as a disabling and ominous light. And the dragon himself, as a genius of the older order, is bathed in this light, so that even as he begins to stir, the reader has a premonition that the days of his empery are numbered.

Nevertheless, the dragon has a wonderful inevitability about him and a unique glamour. It is not that the other monsters are lacking in presence and aura; it is more that they remain, for all their power to terrorize, creatures of the physical world. Grendel comes alive in the reader’s imagination as a kind of dog-breath in the dark, a fear of collision with some hard-boned and immensely strong android frame, a mixture of Caliban and hoplite. And while his mother too has a definite brute-bearing about her, a creature of slouch and lunge on land if seal-swift in the water, she nevertheless retains a certain non-strangeness. As antagonists of a hero being tested, Grendel and his mother possess an appropriate head-on strength. The poet may need them as figures who do the devil’s work, but the poem needs them more as figures who call up and show off Beowulf’s physical strength and his superb gifts as a warrior. They are the right enemies for a young glory-hunter, instigators of the formal boast, worthy trophies to be carried back from the grim testing-ground – Grendel’s hand is ripped off and nailed up, his head severed and paraded in Heorot. It is all consonant with the surge of youth and the compulsion to win fame ‘as wide as the wind’s home, / as the sea around cliffs’, utterly a manifestation of the Germanic heroic code.

Enter then, fifty years later, the dragon – from his dry-stone vault, from a nest where he is heaped in coils around the body-heated gold. Once he is wakened, there is something glorious in the way he manifests, a Fourth of July effulgence fireworking its path across the night sky; and yet, because of the centuries he has spent dormant in the tumulus, there is a foundedness as well as a lambency about him. He is at once a stratum of the earth and a streamer in the air, no painted dragon but a figure of real oneiric power, one that can easily survive the prejudice that arises at the very mention of the word ‘dragon’. Whether in medieval art or modern Disney cartoons, the dragon can strike us as far less horrific than he is meant to be, but in the final movement of Beowulf he lodges himself in the imagination as wyrd rather than wyrm, more a destiny than a set of reptilian vertebrae.

Grendel and his mother enter Beowulf’s life from the outside, accidentally, challenges which in other circumstances he might not have taken up, enemies from whom he might have been distracted or deflected. The dragon, on the other hand, is a given of his home ground, abiding in his under-earth as in his understanding, waiting for the meeting, the watcher at the ford, the questioner who sits so sly, the ‘lion-limb’, as Gerard Manley Hopkins might have called him, against whom Beowulf’s body and soul must measure themselves. Dragon equals shadow-line, the psalmist’s valley of the shadow of death, the embodiment of a knowledge deeply ingrained in the species – the knowledge, that is, of the price to be paid for physical and spiritual survival."

https://www.wwnorton.com/college/english/nael/beowulf/introbeowulf.htm

-tid242

addendum: sorry for the nonstandard characters, it apparently can't display them.  meh

Edited by tid242

In regards to dragons, obsidian can learn how beautiful the dragons in dragon age Inquisition. They have one of the best dragon design and animations!

I found the dragons in Pillars more beautiful. They were colorfoul and adapted to their environments. The dragons in Dragon Age look like ... Dinosaurs with horns.  I mean, this can look cool, I found the Dragons in Divinity 2 very interesting, but they are just massive and I forgot always, that they are there.

• Like 2

In regards to dragons, obsidian can learn how beautiful the dragons in dragon age Inquisition. They have one of the best dragon design and animations!

I found the dragons in Pillars more beautiful. They were colorfoul and adapted to their environments. The dragons in Dragon Age look like ... Dinosaurs with horns.  I mean, this can look cool, I found the Dragons in Divinity 2 very interesting, but they are just massive and I forgot always, that they are there.

dinosaurs would be better than dragons.  every crpg has dragons, but where are the dinosaurs?  d&d had loads o' dinosaurs.  include an island with dinosaurs and a giant gorilla.  too much? fine. nix the gorilla, but dinosaurs is still deserving more love.

so, less dragon and more dinosaur is the solution.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

dinosaurs would be better than dragons.  every crpg has dragons, but where are the dinosaurs?  d&d had loads o' dinosaurs.  include an island with dinosaurs and a giant gorilla.  too much? fine. nix the gorilla, but dinosaurs is still deserving more love.

so, less dragon and more dinosaur is the solution.

HA! Good Fun!

There are actually a bunch of dinosaurs in Dragon Age: Inquisition, not that anyone calls them that. The Western Approach is full of them.

Raising your own dragon would also be pretty awsome like from that pet wurm you get in PoE 1 but I guess that would be too much to ask for and it does kinda reduce a Dragons prestige and awesomeness to have it as a pet haha...

Edited by Bluedemonfox

I want to BE a dragon!  Failing that, I will ride upon it, getting overly excited and potentially making the dragon very uncomfortable as a I fondle it inappropriately.  Either that, or I start a new romance in the game.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Why not ninja dinosaurs that ride pirates?

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Since PoE prides itself on realism comparatively, if it were to have dinosaurs at some point they should be comparatively realistic too. Not lumbering, lizardly monsters or even the somewhat more mobile Jurassic Park creatures. Feathered dromeasaurs, pot-bellied therizinosaurs, colorful and quilled ceratopsians. Exotic animals, not monsters.

Since PoE prides itself on realism comparatively, if it were to have dinosaurs at some point they should be comparatively realistic too. Not lumbering, lizardly monsters or even the somewhat more mobile Jurassic Park creatures. Feathered dromeasaurs, pot-bellied therizinosaurs, colorful and quilled ceratopsians. Exotic animals, not monsters.

And, like Dragons, they should be able to cast spells...

... And engage in witty banter, obviously..

;p

But dragons aren't real.

Still my favorite dragons are from Baldur's Gates/d&d because they are not only just big monsters, but more intelligent creature than human beings, like the red dragon firkraag has actually INT of 17 and is a kensai/Mage if I remember correctly :) it's just amazing to fight the dragons in bg2 because it's about both counter their brute force, and you have to also worry about their magic power. Think about a dragon who can cast mirror image and stoneskin! We need more caster type dragons in poe2 but I afraid it's against the setting of drakes in the games as dragons in Poe are not smart enough to cast any spells I guess :(

But dragons aren't real.

Yes, which is why I specified comparatively realistic, not baseline realistic. Twice. :)

How many fantasy settings have just dumped some old school brontosaurs in your lap without a second thought? To compare, how many have you trekking through an exotic jungle and then you run into this jerk?

https://www.newdinosaurs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/155_therizinosaurus_damir.jpg

155_therizinosaurus_damir.jpg

• Like 2