Talents:

- Painful Interdiction

- Aspirant's Mark

- Weapon and Shield Style / Two Weapon Style

- Blast and Penetrating Blast

As for abilities... here are a 'few':

- Heart of Fury, Barbaric Blow

- Aefyllath, Dragon-Thrashed, Sure-Handed chants

- Whispers of Treason, Mental Binding, Echo, Silent Scream, Detonate, Amplified Wave, Disintegration, Time Parasite

- Storms, Firebug, Embrace the Earth-Talon

- Unbending, Charge, Triggered Immunity

- Torment's Reach, Flagellant's Path

- Sacred Immolation, FoD/LoH, Aegis of Loyalty, Zealous Aura, Liberating Exhortation

- Shining Beacon, Cleansing Flame, Crowns for the Faithful, Minor Avatar

- Twinned Arrows, Wounding Shot, Driving Flight

- Deathblows

- lots of wizard spells

Edited by MaxQuest

A good combination of effectiveness & fun for me:

- Veteran's Recovery (+ healing mods from survival, items & eventually Mercy and Kindness): makes everybody sturdy as long as MIG and INT are ok

- Heart of Fury: mobfight win button

- Carnage: great mechanic

- The Dragon Thrashed: mobfight win modal

- Mercy and Kindness: combine it with Constant or Veteran's Recovery and as long as there's health your nearly unkillable

- White Worms: cheesy as hell when turning off the gib option and piling up bodies at chokepoints - but a lot of fun, too

- Combusting Wounds: great in combination with any kind of effect which generates a lot of hits (Kalaloth's Minor Blights + Blast, Heart of Fury, Wall of Flame, Blunderbusses...)

- Pull of Eora: best CC spell in the game in my opinion

- Coordinated Attacks (+ marking weapon): +20 stackable ACC on an ally, passively(!) - awesome

- Flames of Devotion (+ Scion of Flame + burning lash + Intense Flames): so satisfying in combination with gunshots

- Inspiring Radiation: +10 stackable ACC for the party per encounter(!), awesome

- Devotions of the Faithful: +20 stackable ACC for the party and also a strong debuff for enemies - the best buff in the game

- Relentless Storm: that sound effect! Aeseome CC + damage combined. But mainly: dat sound effect!

- Rot Skulls: much more powerful than most people think. Totally worth to retrain a druid to be a ranged implement user.

- Charge: fast, tons of damage for all enemies in line and the target + full attack on the target. The best "rushing" ability there is. Superfun to pick of casters.

- Force of Anguish: come fly with me, come *smack* fly... best slaps in the game

- The Long Pain: come fly with me, come fly away and *smack*... monk's submachine gun...

...there are a lot of others, but those came to mind first. Must've been the ones that impressed me most.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I like simple aoe damage dealers like chain lightning and minoleta missile but as far as :smart: skills go I love the Devotions of the Faithful and the Whisper of Treason. In fact I like all abilities in this game apart from the one which allows to use more potions, it is useless for me.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked (since it is about gear abilities), but I love stacking on one low-resolution, high-armored frontline character as much gear as possible with abilities that trigger when the character is critically hit -- Shod-in-Faith boots, Sanguine Plate, Nature's Embrace, Swaddling Sheet are my favorites, in particular. My favorite character to put them on? A heavily-armored (basically the Juggernaut build on these forums, though emphasizing intelligence a bit more than it does), Moon Godlike monk with Veteran's Recovery. Hit me and die!!

Edited by TheMetaphysician

Talents: Bears Fortitude and Body Control - I just don't like to be stunned or paralyzed

Abilities / Spells:

Druid: overwhelming wave + relentless storm combo. It's very, very unfair to almost perma-stun your foes. Turns a lot of bounties and tough fights into a cakewalk. Great CC, that Druid! Also nature's bounty, its perhaps more of a gag but that is why I like it. And twin stones, because the AoE has such a strange shape, it makes it fun to aim at your foes ;-)

Monk: the long pain - another way of being very unfair to your foes. Throw your hands up in the air!

Fighter: combo of defender, overbearing guard and into the fray. Making it possible to go 3 Resolve with the rest of your party (on PotD, and even when there are no bottlenecks). Charge is a lot of fun and powerful at the same time.

Cipher: Ectopsychic Echo and antipathetic field - not always easy to apply, but powerful and fun

Id have to agree with Boeror here and say Pull of Eora is probably the mechanic I like most.  It can be used in a lot of ways and is in my opinion one of the most powerful options available in the game.  That said my personal favorite ability is constant recovery.  Just kidding...no Im not, that is problem my favorite ability.  But in terms of fun abilities/spells Pull of Eora, Overwhelming Wave, and the Snowflake like Invocation chanters get, that one just looks cool with ice shards flying everywhere.  Its not particularly overpowerful, or really all that special from a mechanic sense, but it looks darn cool to me and is one of the few chanter invocations I like in terms of concept rather than just "Wow thats a lot of endurance for one spell" or "Man this thing does a stun on auto attack?  Better use it."

Edit:

I wrote this on my way to class and I forgot my absolute favorite ability: Phantom Foes.  Its very thematic and I think a cool ability.  It has a pretty big AoE and lasts a good deal of time.  In general just find it "cool".

Edited by Niclole

Carnage because it's just really cool and fun to combine with weapon traits that benefit from it. It's a bit sad that though they've nerfed so many of the carnage combos, from retaliate to the The Unlabored Blade.

For spells I am a simple man that likes big damage AoEs and stat buffs to get even bigger and higher damage AoEs. Plague of Insects was my favorite in the core game and Minor Avatar into Storm of Holy Fire always makes me happy.

If you're counting item abilities I'd say the instant activation DAoM on Angio's Gambeson. The instant activation makes it so much better than it would be otherwise.

• Barbarian - Dragon Leap. So handy to be able to quickly dive the enemy backline and wreck the squishies

Chanter - Oh, But Knock Not on the Door of Urdel and Gurdel. Because OGRES SMASH.

Cipher - Ectopsychic Echo. Makes an amazing combo with the Barbarian and Dragon Leap.

Druid - Overwhelming Wave. Trickier to utilize than some of the other Druid spells, but it can take a lot of enemies out of the fight for quite a long time.

Fighter - Into the Fray. It never fails to amuse me when an enemy goes randomly flying towards the Fighter for no clear reason (seriously how does this work?).

Monk - Force of Anguish. Because who doesn't love turning an enemy into a bowling ball?

Paladin - Aegis of Loyalty. Literally smack some sense back into your allies.

Priest - Iconic Projection. Simple but effective and always useful. I get far more satisfaction out of my Priest once I master this spell.

Ranger - Returning Storm (via Stormcaller). This is cheating, but I don't care. This is my favorite part of playing a Ranger.

Rogue - Escape. Very handing positioning tool. I particularly like being able to quickly close a gap to stun a key enemy with Sap.

Wizard - Tayn's Chaotic Orb. Brings all kinds of nastiness to the enemies. The Wizard is way too spoiled with all kinds of amusing spells.

Edited by HoopleDoople

I often use Pull of Eora to bring together a lot of enemies and then cast all kinds of spells onto their heads (or under their feet) that do damage/CC repeatedly. Like Chillfog, Malignant Cloud, Wall spells and so on. Or I use implement + Blast on them. Putting a druid's fire stag in the middle of a crowd which suffers from Pull of Eora is also funny.

The best part however is that there's no immunity. It works with every type of enemy. And often the actions they were trying to complete - like casting spells or rushing my backline - get completely cancelled once they have been dragged around.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pull of Eora

Just about any of the Druid lightning spells.

I also usually drop some kind AoE spell from Chill Fog up to Venom Bloom on top of Pull of Eora (well, apparently like Boeroer :-P ).

Rogue's Escape skill/feat/whatever it's called, is one of my fave's for hitting enemies with a bow and escaping back to draw them to me.

Any skill, spell, or talent that turns the dragons onto their minions.

Any skill/talent/spell that does continuous damage without me thinking about for a turn or so.

Always priest radiances

I have other go-to's that seem to vary depending on set-up of party for play-through, but those are some of my core tactics.

Joe

Edited by JFutral

Pull of Eora

Just about any of the Druid lightning spells.

I also usually drop some kind AoE spell from Chill Fog up to Venom Bloom on top of Pull of Eora (well, apparently like Boeroer :-P ).

Rogue's Escape skill/feat/whatever it's called, is one of my fave's for hitting enemies with a bow and escaping back to draw them to me.

Any skill, spell, or talent that turns the dragons onto their minions.

Any skill/talent/spell that does continuous damage without me thinking about for a turn or so.

Always priest radiances

I have other go-to's that seem to vary depending on set-up of party for play-through, but those are some of my core tactics.

Joe

A couple of you mentioned that you like Pull of Eora. What are some of your favorite tactics with it?

Just like these two my default tactic is simply to drop chill fog on them.  But Pull Eora is also useful for setting up cone spells that might otherwise be difficult to get a squishy mage to get off without wrecking your own party.  Without it there can be challenge in getting the enemies all nice and clumped while also keeping all of your party safe of the cone.  

In PotD, I do like Field Triage for one or two characters to get me to last a bit longer before needing to rest since camping supplies are limited to two. Failing that a few potions of Infuse with Vital Essence helps. the lack of healing Health outside of resting drives me a bit nuts.

Joe

Some of my favorite talents are:

Runner's Wounding Shot - great opener with an arquebus for any class

Apprentice's Sneak Attack - free damage boost especially with a party

Scion of Flame, Heart of the Storm, etc - great for boosting elemental damage and DR

Heart of Fury is really fun to use AND powerful. Carnage is great and smart design on its own, but HoF puts it on another level.

For spells, I would say the whole Storm line (returning, relentless, avenging) has fun mechanics and big impact on the battlefield. I like it. I hoped so much for storm spells to be unique and powerful in bg, but they were rather meh...

my most loved abilities/ most abused

Druid (they have so much amazing stuff)

1.) Restless storm

2.) Venom bloom

3.) Plague of Insects

4.) Infestation of maggots - actually really good.

5.) Moonwell

Yes druids are OP

Fighter

1.) Charge - this ability is actually so overpowered

2.) Fearless - poor dragons

Priest

1.) Shining Beacon.... the heavenly sound always gets me

2.) Devotions of the faithful - a bit cheaty

3.) Champions boon - yay even more overpowered dual wield fighter

(PS. no crowns of faithful, its disgustingly overpowered and makes me feel dirty when i use it.)

Barbarian

1.) Heart of fury - lags my computer a bit from all the body parts flying over the screen

2.) Barbaric shout - dominance on the battlefield

Wizard

1.) Combusting wounds - I actually prefer combusting wounds on ring of searing flames because its insta cast. But yeah its an amazing ability

2.) Kalakoths minor blights - alacrity - kalakoths - combusting wounds = broken OP

Paladin 

1.) FOD with bleak walker 

Chanter

1.) Aefyllath Ues Mirth Fyr - just wow

Theres alot more but im bored of typing now.

Edited by Ymiraku
  • Like 1

Lol.  Pull of Eora into Monk with Torment Reach.  Just killed like 10 enemies in 3 seconds in a fight I was sure I was going to lose cause everyone in my party but my monk was charmed after I cast Pull of Eora.  Sucked them all into one area and my monk had 7 wounds and just unleashed devastation.

I like mobility and positioning effects, so

Rogue abilities like Escape and Shadow Step and Shadowing Beyond

Monk's Flagellant's Path and Force of Anguish

Wizard's Dimensional Shift and Pull of Eora. 

Barbarian's Dragon's Leap (+Heart of Flury . . . in the middle of Pull of Eora + Gaze of the Adragan)

Fighter's Charge . . . Which might be my favorite ability in the game. It's a shame they get it so late.

In fact, I think that's going to be my party next play through. Just need to pick a 6th character.