The godlike are children of the kith ("civilized" races) who have been blessed with physical aspects associated with the gods (though some do not consider it a blessing). These aspects may take many forms and often come with mystical powers. Aberrant head shapes are typical, and godlike are unable to wear protective headgear as it is near-impossible to find anything that fits. Because of their unusual nature and their inability to reproduce, godlike are often viewed with fear and wonder.

I was thinking... some godlikes were intended to have stronger racial abilities, because they can't wear headgear. In a way making them stronger than other races in the early game (when there simply were no head items to be found) and weaker later (because of headgear extra stats). This feels a little bit askew, especially with all new items that came with WM1, WM2 and raising of the lvl cap. 

What if there were headgear items of tier 2. Twice less powerful than coifs, helmets and so on, but which can be equipped by everyone, including godlikes. For example headbands. So, what do you think?

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Yeah, why not?

There already are headgear items in PoE1 that could have worked like that:

- Lavender Wreath

- Crossed Patch

- Munacra Arret

I mean there's no logical reason why a Moon Godlike can't wear a monocle. Death Godlikes: not so much. ;)

But I guess it was just too much fuzz to make such distinctions - from the devs' perspective. Understandable.

Maybe they can do it now if they have the time and the money.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's one way to address godlike headgear situation. For my part, I'd prefer more of an elaboration of godlike features so that the tradeoff was more proportional. That'd be hard to pull off with starting racial talents without being grossly overpowered, but there could be a scaling mechanism involved. Maybe instead of allowing partial access to headgear or closing off the slot entirely, all godlike could have "built-in" headgear in much the same way that the Devil of Caroc had intrinsic armor. Even if this allowed for enchantment (though maybe talent acquisition or having new features unlock for it as part of gaining more general talents like Bull's Will, Snake's Reflexes, and so forth would be an alternative to that), it'd still be less versatile than the options available to races that can freely swap helmets and it'd bar access to unique features tied to such equipment.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

Yeap. Making godlike's bonus ability to scale; or rather giving them a race ability of similar power magnitude like other races have [plus] some scaling passive or active bonus (to compensate for the lack of headgear) could also be a solution.

Or tier2 headbands. Whichever devs find easier to implement and balance.

• Like 1

Seems to me the solution would be that Godlikes could only ever use customized headgear.  Make it so a shop that can customize / fabricate headgear to spec a mid-game area to find (earlier stores can either have in story reasons they can't accomodate the Godlike - no skilled artisans, doesn't have the necessary equipment, prejudice, whatever) so that they can get headgear but at a time when their starting benefits are being balanced out.  Godlike headger are exclusive to the character they're built for without customizing.

Make it always more expensive (to enchant if enchanting headgear is in, or to purchase) as a way to try and further balance it maybe?  Anyhow to me, the solution to blanketly disallow headgear for godlikes is similar (IMO) to the Elder Scroll's previous prohibition on beast races and footgear - its a gamist solution (fixing power equity) that doesn't really make sense from a setting perspective (anywhere with enough of "X" race would probably find people working to design proper clothes and gear that'd fit "X"'s atypical body type excepting for prejudices).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

its a gamist solution (fixing power equity)

Maybe, but it could just as easily be the case that they didn't want the hassle of creating unique helmet models for the various godlike heads. If memory serves, there're three different head models per gender for each godlike type and many, if not all, of them seem to differ enough that they might each require distinct helmet models.

its a gamist solution (fixing power equity)

Maybe, but it could just as easily be the case that they didn't want the hassle of creating unique helmet models for the various godlike heads. If memory serves, there're three different head models per gender for each godlike type and many, if not all, of them seem to differ enough that they might each require distinct helmet models.

Now that's a good point; the limitations of art rendering.  Headbands might be a solution (although then you'll get the "why can't my X wear a headband" where X /=godlike

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Headbands might be a solution (although then you'll get the "why can't my X wear a headband" where X /=godlike

That won't be a problem as headbands were suggested as head gear that is available to everyone.

The balancing is done via their lower stats.

For example at the time you find Maegfolk Skull (with 4 Mig and Unbending), you also can discover a +2 Mig Headband.

I think scaling the godlike bonuses would be the easiest solution. They already did it with Battle Forged (fire godlike).

True. And technically they all scale at the moment:

- (Fire) Battle Forged: as already mentioned

- (Moon) Silver Tide: base_healing = 10 Endurance +3/level after level 1

- (Death) Death's Usher: indirectly and weakly but a bit scales, because as enemy hp gets bigger, so does their 0-20% hp range.

- (Nature) Wellspring of Life: +3 Mig, +2 Con, +2 Dex - are all percentage modifiers.

The problem is that godlikes might be balanced at some moment; but increasing lvl cap and adding stronger headgear options can destabilize their situation.

So if devs will want to add more powerful hats later on, they will be more restricted in their design space, as they will have to take godlikes scaling into account as well. Tbh headbands don't solve this problem completely, but at least reduce it by a factor of 2.

• 1 month later...

That's a pretty good idea.

If one wanted to make things a bit more interesting there could be a side quest where you have to find a black Smith that can make helmets for godlikes. Similar to Witcher 3 with having to find master black Smith's for master tier weapons and armor.

But the head bands would be a good idea until you find this theoretical smith.

It is human nature to seek culpability in a time of tragedy. It is a sign of strength to cry out against fate, rather than to bow one’s head and succumb. Inevitably many will fault the hands upon the sword which felled Typhon, the Ordo Malleus. But the Inquisition merely performs the duty of its office. To further fear them is redundant; to hate them, heretical. Those more sensible will place responsibility with those who forced the hands of the Inquisition. With some fortune, they may foster this hatred into purpose, and further rule their own fate by coming to the Emperor’s service.

Yet ultimately, it was I who set these events into motion, with a single blow from my hammer, God Splitter.

-Gabriel Angelos, of the Blood Ravens 4th Company