Hello everyone

I would like some advices for the creation of my character. I have a have read some guides but there is not really the informations I am looking for.

I tried to make a Paladin with :

Might: 13

Con: 16

Dex: 10

Per: 10

Int: 13

Resolve: 16

But the guides seems to indicate that my build will not be good on the long run.

I usually try to create a character that will persuade people during conversations (a social person I could say) and human if possible (that's for my RP). What class and build would be better in this case? I imagine that Lore and Determination are essential.

thank you very much

To be honest, stats aren't THAT important unless you're planning something specific, such as solo or doing something funny with status effect weapons or so on. Most builds wont fall apart if you tinker with their stats a bit (e.g. taking 1 point out of each stat to boost a talky stat sky-high). Hell, nothing will go cataclysmically wrong if you just slap 13 on every stat for any class and call it a day. So don't be disheartened when you compare your character to builds online. Also remember that a lot of builds posted online make use of late-game equipment/talents/abilities which you'll be spending most of the game - and certainly all of Act 1 - without.

Paladins also have a bit of a rough power curve in that they're titanic gods when they hit lv13 and get per encounter Sacred Immolation, but until then are mostly jack-of-all-trades, so some people get frustrated and assume they suck. I've always liked them though, even when most of the internet seemed to think they were underpowered. They grant permanent buffs with their auras, they can heal, they're quite resilient, they have some nice damage dealing potential with Sworn Enemy and so on; they're team players for much of the game.

If you just want a convo-centric PC, that's your focus and you should think mostly about that imo, the rest of the team can pick up the combat slack. Something like 10/10/10/16/16/16 is fine. If you want to make sure you're getting all the best convo options, then focus on boosting Int and Res; Per is a nice bonus, but not as important as Int and Res.

If you're dead set on having a build to work from, there are some builds out there that focus on talky stats, but they tend to be weird tanks (Res for defence, Per + Int for status effects). I quite like NerdCommando's pr0n tank monk for that: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

Stats look fine for any type of paladin. No real weaknesses, that's good. If I would want to build a paladin based upon that stats, I would also say that a tanky frontliner would be optimal though. Give him the Outworn Buckler (a small shield that you can buy very early in the first town you reach, it's one of the best items in the game if you consider how early you can have it), pick Weapon & Shield Style and a one handed weapon that you like and you're good to go. Your defenses will be very evenly balanced. your high MIG + CON will lead to good fortitude defense (against stun, prone, paralyze and so on), your high INT + RES will lead to high a will defense (against dazed, charmed, dominated etc.) and your reflex defense which will get no bonuses from stats will get boosted by Weapon & Shield Style. Deflection will be good because of RES and shield as well. As long as you're not playing on Path of the Damned Difficulty for your first run you will have no problems with your paladin. But you can't expect him to be a very good damage dealer. See him more as a tanky supporter. The shield will emit a defensive aura - that adds to his supportive role. He has really nice single-ally-healings and other nice things. 

If you like persuation, you can also try to combine "Sworn Enemy" with an item that can charm enemies (Munacra Arret). You can read about this in this build: Counselor Ploi

If you want to follow that build instead of just pick up some inspiration: it is not necessary to have the exact same stats, items or race.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hello everyone

I would like some advices for the creation of my character. I have a have read some guides but there is not really the informations I am looking for.

But the guides seems to indicate that my build will not be good on the long run.

I usually try to create a character that will persuade people during conversations (a social person I could say) and human if possible (that's for my RP). What class and build would be better in this case? I imagine that Lore and Determination are essential.

thank you very much

Personally I would reverse the stats for MIGHT and CON, and INT and RES, so mine would look more like the following:

Might: 16

Con: 13

Per: 12

Int: 17

Res: 10

You get more bang for your buck that way, as MIGHT affects power of attacks and strength of your Lay on Hands, and INT affects the range of your auras and heals. Also, RES doesn't really need points if you are already bumping CON, so I diverted those points into more INT and some extra PER for higher Accuracy and Interruption. I think you'd find this build more punchy, while still being very survivable.

I have a question, to hijack this thread (I think it will help OP though) at what point is a character considered tanky?

I see a lot of builds use low con with high int. Are they relying on Str & Class skills to kill quickly and supplement the tanky stats? At what point does Res go from not tanky to tanky? 

I have a question, to hijack this thread (I think it will help OP though) at what point is a character considered tanky?

I see a lot of builds use low con with high int. Are they relying on Str & Class skills to kill quickly and supplement the tanky stats? At what point does Res go from not tanky to tanky? 

"Tanky" just means you can stand there and take the hits, whether it means you are literally taking hits and have a relatively high Endurance to absorb them (bumped by CON), or it means you are avoiding hits because of high Deflection (bumped up by high RES, armor, and other factors). Of course, class abilities like the Fighter's slow regen play a factor in this as well.

The OP's original proposed stats definitely tend towards being "tanky" because they emphasize both high Endurance and high Deflection. The tradeoff of course is that there offense will be more limited, and their auras and heals will be somewhat weak.

Hello everyone

thank you very much

Personally I would reverse the stats for MIGHT and CON, and INT and RES, so mine would look more like the following:

Might: 16

Con: 13

Per: 12

Int: 17

Res: 10

You get more bang for your buck that way, as MIGHT affects power of attacks and strength of your Lay on Hands, and INT affects the range of your auras and heals. Also, RES doesn't really need points if you are already bumping CON, so I diverted those points into more INT and some extra PER for higher Accuracy and Interruption. I think you'd find this build more punchy, while still being very survivable.

I agree with the might part, but 17 intelligene seems a little extreme just to get a little more range.