I finished the main game long ago. I just got the expansions and noted that the fights are significantly harder. This brings me to my questions. I got oodles of items. My characters are wearing pretty much whatever, since the original game was not very hard. I just looked to avoid too much suppression.

My group is Paladin, Monk (those Blood gloves do they even do anything?), Priest, Druid, Chanter, Cipher.

Also I got an item that duplicates other items. Is there any particular item I should use it on?

Yes. The Helwax Mold. It's from a stronghold adventure.

What to use it on? It totally depends on the stuff you use.

For example, if you have two guys with shields, then one could recommend cloning Little Savior. That shield has an enchantment called "herald" which gives +5 to all defenses (stacks with everything) in a big aura, usually covering the whole party. If you clone it you will have two auras that stack, giving you +10 to all defenses.

Dual wielders like to clone their main hand weapon. Bittercut (sabre) is very popular because it not only has two damage types but it also works with Spirit of Decay (gives you +20% weapon damage) and has spell bindings.

Another good choice would be Drawn in Spring, since it's the one handed weapon with the highest potential DPS (if you have high MIG - because of wounding).

Then there are other awesome things you could clone. Like a ring of wizardry (Ring of the Seloan and stuff), Forgemaster's Gloves, Shod-in-Faith boots or whatever.

As I said: it really depends what chars and items you use.

In my opinion it's very effective to stack those herald auras. If you clone Little Saviour and also have a paladin with the Outworn Buckler you will have +15 to all defenses which stack with all other defense buffs. Makes your party a lot sturdier.

P.s.: Blood Testament gloves are powerful if you also have Turning Wheel and like to stack wounds. They will give you +2% raw lash per wound you have. That's +20% raw lash once you have 10 wounds. This will stack with Lightning Strikes' lash (+25% shock) and Turning Wheel's lash (+50% burn) and will lead to tremendous DPS increase. Not only because it's raw damage and thus ignores DR, but also because lashes are calculated based on the actual damage you do (including all damage mods like high might, critical damage bonus etc.) when you hit - it's not only an increase of weapon base damage like other things like Sneak Attack or Savage Attack are. Thus, +20% raw lash leads to way higher damage numbers than Savage Attack with +20% base damage.

The gloves also work with retaliation. If you want to know in detail, read the Monksterlasher build (in the sticky build list).

If you like to spend your wounds asap then there are other gloves which are better.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The duplicator is best applied to a specific weapon you wish you had another of, if you run a dual-wielder in your team. Like the sabre "Bittercut" which you should find early in WM. I know "Drawn in Spring" dagger is also popular against hard enemies like dragons, but I suppose that's mostly a concern on potd difficulties. Never used it myself.

I have no idea if it's the best strategy, but I generally prioritized stat increase over other abilities, and defensive abilities (+def against whatever) above utility abilities. As such, I didn't get to use most of the cool cloaks or and whatnot, but the effects seems too situational compared to the always attractive stat boosts or defense vs. status effects. I really wish they could tie some minor stat boosts to the utility items, so I didn't have to choose between 3 perception or a cloak that occasionally does this weird magic trick that might be useful, but rather it could have 2 or at least 1 stat increase as well.

Also I suffer from consumable-aversion-syndrome, where I avoid using consumables and on-rest abilities because "I might need it later" to the extent that it never ever gets used. So passive effects (like shod-in-faith) > on-use effects for me. Playing a wizard is a good exposure therapy for me, but I haven't found a way to force myself to use items enough. I think I need a class that revolves entirely around drinking bottles, reading scrolls and eating freshly grilled chicken to get over the last hurdle.

I never had a rogue, but I assume two Drawn in Spring would be good?

Also I use a Pally tank and Chanter off-tank. What are the good one-hand/shield combinations. Should I put off-tank into heavy armor?

What are best armors for tanking?

Edited by aartamen

For duplicate I think the most useful (but perhaps not most fun) is probably Little Saviour as Boeroer said, or Angio's Gambeson (with Durgan enhancement) so the Druid and the Priest can both have it and they'll both be able to dump all their most powerfull spells really fast in tough fights.

I don't think the difference between having the best weapon for your build duplicated in both hands vs. having the best weapon in one hand and the second best in the other is going to be as impactfull as one of your casters getting an extra high level spell of early in a fight thanks the instant Deleterious Alacrity of Motion.

If you want to duplicate your weapon/armor/shield you should first apply the best enchantments on them... Personally I wouldn't waste the mold on armors because they don't have very good enchantments. There are however some powerful accessories anyone in your party could use (Looped Rope, Gwyn's Band of Union, Maegfolc Skull) or you could duplicate a rare ingredient (that way you can apply the best enchantment to another item).

If you want to duplicate your weapon/armor/shield you should first apply the best enchantments on them... Personally I wouldn't waste the mold on armors because they don't have very good enchantments. There are however some powerful accessories anyone in your party could use (Looped Rope, Gwyn's Band of Union, Maegfolc Skull) or you could duplicate a rare ingredient (that way you can apply the best enchantment to another item).

Wait can you actually duplicate rare ingredients?  I tried it on my last play through but was unable to accomplish that.  If so that is awesome and I am dumb.

I am drawing blank on Durgan enhancement. I looked up the gambeson. Not sure I understand what's good about it.

You get access to Durgan enhancement at the end of the first expansion, if you havent finished it yet.

Whats good about it is that it has got one of the best self-buffs in the game bound to it. With instant activation so you dont have to spend time drinking a potion. You just click the ability and double-tap the pause button and then you're hasted, letting you cast more spells faster. It's not that great before you have Durganised it because of the 20% recovery penalty on the armor but durgan reduces the recovery penalty to only 5%.

I never had a rogue, but I assume two Drawn in Spring would be good?

Also I use a Pally tank and Chanter off-tank. What are the good one-hand/shield combinations. Should I put off-tank into heavy armor?

What are best armors for tanking?

Cladhaliath with Coordinating/Marking enhancements with Outworn Buckler is pretty boss on a leader-type Paladin. The armor you get from the 2nd Raedric fight is pretty great.