Squashing Bugs - Lingering bugs in PoE that we'd like to see ironed out for Deadfire.

Sometimes I would get this weird pathing issues with my companions. It seemed to start right when I got a sixth companion, or in my case Sagani. Basically when the party moves to their move location. One or more companions "stutter" rapidly in place trying to find a place to stand. It seems like the issue might be worse with a party formation that is compact, but it happens still in more spread out formations. You'll also get an annoying sound of rapid footsteps as the characters jitter.

​I think sometimes even NPCs off screen can bug, because sometimes (once my own party starts bugging out) I'll hear rapid pacing from what sounds like an NPC off screen or in the fog that is.

​This is a bug that exists in the current version of the game with both expansions.

​---

​The purpose of this thread isn't exactly to beg for bug fixes in PoE1, though that'd be nice. But it's to collect a number of issues that could be fixed going forward. Since Deadfire is actively being developed and that's where Obsidians focus and resources currently lie.

I hate potions anyway, and never use any of them.  Better for them to just get rid of potions entirely..

Only if we're given an alternative way to reach 0 recovery with a 2-hander while wearing plate armor and using Vulnerable Attack :p

EDIT: This bug needs to go; hope it won't be in Deadfire.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Something keeps deleting the chant in Kana's top slot. Not sure what triggers it. (Taking him out of the party, maybe? I just put the phrases I wanted in Slot C instead.) No idea if this applies to all Chanters - which would mean it needs fixing - or is a Kana-specific issue which will be irrelevant anyway.

Edited by Andraste

I hate potions anyway, and never use any of them. Better for them to just get rid of potions entirely...

Erm... very provocative statement. What about:

"I hate wigs - I never use any of them. Better to just get rid of them entirely..."

But wait - it's totally optional to wear wigs. Why complain that they exist? Some people with bald heads may like wigs. Those might want to have wigs that don't drop to the floor all the time while putting them on.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I hate potions anyway, and never use any of them. Better for them to just get rid of potions entirely...

Erm... very provocative statement. What about:

"I hate wigs - I never use any of them. Better to just get rid of them entirely..."

But wait - it's totally optional to wear wigs. Why complain that they exist? Some people with bald heads may like wigs. Those might want to have wigs that don't drop to the floor all the time while putting them on.

hah, not a bad point. And it would be totally valid if I were forced to wear a wig in order to be taken seriously in the world (I'd have to look like all of those good ol' English chaps, or a colonial gentleman). 

The main issue that I have with potions is not that I don't like them and never use them, but also that game balancing assumes their usage.  Not that I'm against a challenge or something, but I'm guessing that triple-crown-solo isn't possible without pots?

;p

cheers

-tid242

Elemental talents not working on DoT effects.

I do wonder what it is that's made DoTs so buggy. which they've been since beta (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71355-480-some-damage-over-time-spells-still-have-problems/) though most of the problems have been fixed now. If its something in unity I hope its something that works better in the newer version they're using for PoE2.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

The main issue that I have with potions is not that I don't like them and never use them, but also that game balancing assumes their usage.  Not that I'm against a challenge or something, but I'm guessing that triple-crown-solo isn't possible without pots?

You could say the same about virtually anything in the game. It assumes that you wear gear, wield weapons, and make use of talents and abilities. How is it different from I.E. games in this regard?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You could say the same about virtually anything in the game. It assumes that you wear gear, wield weapons, and make use of talents and abilities. How is it different from I.E. games in this regard?

Sure, sure.  I'm not arguing that pots are good or bad, or better than or worse than other features, or that me not liking them are internally consistent (humans are not internally consistent, you may have noticed).  Merely that I don't like pots as a personal opinion. 

I realize that other people really enjoy pot strategy, and I'm totally cool with that.  I was just being cheeky by suggesting that they just remove those lame libations..  If I were really serious about it, I'd start a hate thread about them..

In response to an earlier post DoT effects may trace their buggyness back to the fact that heartbeat scripts have always been somewhat resource intensive, so there's always some kind of funky work-around to try to get them to fire less often..  just a thought.

cheers,

-tid242

Elemental talents not working on DoT effects.

I do wonder what it is that's made DoTs so buggy. which they've been since beta (https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71355-480-some-damage-over-time-spells-still-have-problems/) though most of the problems have been fixed now. If its something in unity I hope its something that works better in the newer version they're using for PoE2.

Everyone wonders including devs because they were not attempting to fix it:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86058-302-descriptions-for-elemental-boost-talents-do-not-mention-exceptions/?hl=%2Belemental+%2Btalents

Vancian =/= per rest.

It has nothing to do with unity. DoT mechanics are coded in C# by OBS.

​Well there could be issues with how Unity deals with game time. It might be hard to pass down a global variable from the outer loop of the project down to whatever computes DoTs. C# isn't the greatest languages as far as managing memory goes.

Well, it has events and listeners and stuff - so it shouldn't be that hard to trigger anything from anywhere in the code.

Whatever, this can't be the reason why for example DoTs like Shining Beacon or The Dragon Thrashed don't work with Scion of Flame.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Lingering bugs I am aware of:

- various ways of stacking defenses and damage coefficients by enemy mobs on game reload.

- inconsistent red/yellow areas for aoes. For example powder burns still hits everyone in the yellow zone.

- envenomed strike is not applied (although the charge is wasted) if you are unarmed and attempt to envenom a crush-immune enemy.

- dots's not benefiting from Scion of Flame talent and alike (i.e. elemental talents)

- dots's not benefiting from Beast Slayer talent and alike (was a total surprise for me, when Disintegrate was ticking for the same damage)

- being unable to normally queue potions.

- if you are interrupted during potion drinking, character won't try to drink it again.

- charm effects sometimes being dispelled on the enemies (that are off-screen) for unknown reason.

- occasional roundelay (running in circles) pathing.

- wounding-shot and wounding enchant working best with dumped int. (not really bug, but just... wrong)

- second-skin talent providing zero DR bonus if your character is naked.

It has nothing to do with unity. DoT mechanics are coded in C# by OBS.

That's right. The only thing that has to do with unity is inter-action delay.

DoTs afaik either:

- have their raw tick_dmg set appriori. (and there would be no problem to take elemental talents into account as well)

- have their tick_dmg reevaluated on each tick, in which case the game would need to have access to attacker and defender objects anyway (hence elemental talents of attacked could again be taken into account)

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1