What backgrounds would you like to see?

Instead of working so much on the companions, I vote that the developers spend more time writing unique dialogue for each of the backgrounds (and perhaps a low IQ dialogue!) I mean, you'll only spend limited amount of time with each companion, but once you've chosen a background, you're stuck with it for the whole game. And we know this was a sore point in PoE1. My first playthrough was as a noble, and I think the only "noble" dialogue option I got was something like "Kolsc you fool! How dare you think of overthrowing a noble!"

I would like a witty sellsword background (like Bronn from game of thrones), that makes lots of sarcastic remarks about quests and rewards.

"Let me get this straight, I'm your only hope for fighting that clan of ogres, but you're going to bludgeon me to death with inflated prices?"

(God, I miss Icewind Dale's wit. "Well sir, is there anything I can do to support your downward spiral into oblivion?")

What backgrounds would you guys like to see?

A cultist background, differentiated from clergy through adherence to a more fringe or persecuted belief set, could be fun. Smuggler, slaver, and assassin backgrounds could be fun too.

There's already a pretty good spread, though, especially if they could somehow account for the elaborations for each background that the Watcher can provide during the prologue of the first game. I'd be more interested in seeing options arising through interactions between these existing backgrounds and disposition/faction reputations in dialogues than getting a dozen new backgrounds that still wouldn't be likely to turn up in options more than two or three times throughout the game.

Edited by blotter

Clergy for more regions would be welcome. I never got a sense that Aedyr was somehow special in that regard. Also anything implying law enforcement for one of my adventurers. I always found it odd that the closest thing to a guardsman in backgrounds was mercenary (though mercenary does allow your main to say he was a constable, so I guess the name is just a lot broader than it implies at first).

• Like 1

Instead of working so much on the companions, I vote that the developers spend more time writing unique dialogue for each of the backgrounds (and perhaps a low IQ dialogue!)

I'm all for that, but why "instead of"? Why can't it be "both"?

We all know they're going to shoot far past their highest stretch goal before the month's out, so why not develop both companion interactions AND reactivity to the main character? To me, having a detailed background doesn't mean much if there's no other fleshed out characters around to react to it. 

I think I lucked out with the "hunter" background since it got mentioned a few times (Calisca mentions you shouldn't mention it around Sparfel since he'd just try to prove to everyone he's the better hunter, and Sagani bonding with you over being a fellow hunter), but I wouldn't mind if the trend continued. More reactivity is always better in a roleplaying game, as far as I'm concerned.

I'd also like greater reactivity to our homelands (like if you're from the Deadfire Archipelago characters discuss it, or if a character is from the same place as you someone brings it up. It still feels weird that Calisca also came from the Ixamitl plains, but neither character mentioned it).

As always, I'd also love more reactivity to race and gender. It still irks me that companions and NPCs will talk **** to every Orlan they meet except my Watcher. Godlike? Forget it. Not one person looked revolted by my nature godlike's moss-covered skin, or creeped out by my death godlike's Silent Hill-esque flesh sacks covering her face.

Edited by Faerunner

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Given that we're playing the same character, I don't think this will be the game where we get new backgrounds.

Some people will pick up PoE 2 without having played PoE. So it still may be beneficial to add more backgrounds.

Besides, if some backgrounds are more specific, then they may fit more than the old backgrounds from first PoE. Then it may be good to be able to switch to that new background even if you have a character from PoE 2.

I'd like to see Paladin Orders be treated in a similar fashion to backgrounds in dialogue. Odd that a class devoted to a particular cause or way of life wouldn't mention their work protecting caravans, or engaging in brutal warfare, etc., when discussing their past.

There are actually are some dialogue options based on paladin order in the first game. I've only seen the Bleak Walker dialogue for when you confront Lord Raedric (and it wasn't worth selecting over the others in my opinion) but presumably, there would be similar options for the other orders scattered throughout the game. I do agree that there's ample room to build upon this, though.

What backgrounds would you like to see?

There are 6: +2 lore backgrounds: Aristocrat, Artist, Clergyman, Mystic, Philosopher and Scholar

There is 1: +2 survival background: Colonist

Thus I'd like 1 background with +2 mechanics

RP wise, hmm: Sailor, Thief, Headhunter, Doctor/Healer.

You do realize that more fleshed out background means less overall backgrounds, not more?

Sorry, my original post was unclear. I want more fleshed out/reactivity to backgrounds, not more. But in the same breath, I was asking everyone what kind of fleshed out background they would be interested in playing.

Bunch of region specific. So seamen, pirate are the most missing. We can argue that Raider is basicly pirate.

We also have Merchant, Colonist, Explorer.

There could also be some fun even if not region specific like:

Gladiator - could be on arena, or on tournaments, or for noblelords to set their honor debts

Courtezan - We worked with a lot of seemen That is region specific.

Cultist is cool.

But overall i dont care that much about background, it is just nice to see my background give special dialogue line here and there, and that is enought.

Edited by evilcat

I'd like the existing ones to be expanded upon rather than increasing the number available.  And before anyone says "Why not both?" they can only spend so much time and I am talking about my preference if they have to choose, they are restricting the number of companions in order to better flesh them out after all.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Wait... found some energy

5 skills

5x 2 points in 1 skill

10x 2 points in 2 skills combo

Is that correct? Yeah i think so

MtG has 5 colours and 10 2 colour combos so yeah... anyhow

5+10=15 backgrounds

Which they dont need to make up. Already in lore! We got 17... not counting companion backgrounds... they just need to be rebalanced to not have a lot with lore+2 same stuff.

Edited by Leeuwenhart

Or 30 backgrounds if you want double options.

Its really not that hard work to type 30 backgrounds... they give a flat boost anyway.

However integrating that in story goes a little harder... unless you take double accesibility for some lines.

Like instead of

(Aristocrat) answer a

Answer b

(Might 8) answer c

You could get

(Aristocrat)(Clergyman) answer a

Bz both got lore+2

But to be honest... 15 is enough. And make them really work.

Edited by Leeuwenhart

5 skills

Skills are being expanded, though. We're currently looking at around ~17, subject to adjustment if some prove more niche or obscure in times of in-game options/representation.
Yes. Heard that. But hard to give an example with a hypothetical i know little about... and we dont even know background will stay skill related or give boost to attributes.

Bz its normal a soldier is stronger then a baker. And Hutus are better at Survival then Belgians. Unless were talking about Hutu bakers and Belgian soldiers haha... so maybe a combo there

Edited by Leeuwenhart

Bz its normal a soldier is stronger then a baker.

You'll get no argument from me here; I actually think attribute modifiers should be at least partially tied to backgrounds at chargen, whether by scaling back the importance of race to make room for it or taking the place of culture as a source of modifiers.

Edited by blotter