Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics 2017 Part 3

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
657 replies to this topic

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
@Longknife
An excellent Diagnosis. I think I might just add some thoughts, though i don't pretend to have the same insight as you appear to have.

I think the situation you describe is an inevitable consequence of both having only two major parties and that those two parties are, politically, in fact very close to each other. Because their differences are, on average, not tremendously big and they are the only parties, this creates a situation where they don't have to cooperate at all.

Because they are ideologically fairly close, the elections will also become elections of emotion by reason. The dogma, the villainification (is that a word? I think you know what I mean...) of the other, and the almost complete absence of reasonable discussion are the consequence.

You don't only need more parties, you also need more parties on the political spectrum than just Center/Center Right (though admittedly Trump and his cabinet seem to turn out more conservative than the average).

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6952 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I did like the small bits of laughter when he mentioned draining the swamp. Kind of disappointing to hear that in a speech at that level but that's where we are now I guess :)
  • BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I did like the small bits of laughter when he mentioned draining the swamp. Kind of disappointing to hear that in a speech at that level but that's where we are now I guess :)

Remember the old  " draining the swamp "  from the presidential race, he definitely hasn't achieved much on that front :lol: 

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
Why would Trump want to drain te swamp? He is part of the swamp, and I bet you he likes the swamp as well.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Speech apparently well received, but from the reports I read no indication of a pragmatic approach we need to start dealing with the many problems of this country.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Speech apparently well received, but from the reports I read no indication of a pragmatic approach we need to start dealing with the many problems of this country.

The speech was good but what do you think are the problems he should be attending to first?

He is looking at reforming Obamacare, tax cuts for the middle class, he wants to rebuild the military and destroy ISIS amongst other things 

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts

The speech was good but what do you think are the problems he should be attending to first?

He is looking at reforming Obamacare, tax cuts for the middle class, he wants to rebuild the military and destroy ISIS amongst other things

Those are actually the problems that need addressing. The issue is the Republican ideologues in Congress which will not agree to anything sensible. On Obamacare, they want to simply get rid of it, regardless of people who can't afford medical insurance. On tax cuts, Republicans including Trump, want a huge tax cut and at the same time increased military spending. In addition Trump wants a 1 trillion infrastructure plan, government paid family leave, and assorted other spending increases. All this while we already have a budget deficit that's projected to grow without bound, and a huge amount of unfunded future liabilities. Meanwhile, no one is even talking about bringing medical costs under control, which is the main driver of the budget problems.
  • BruceVC likes this

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Those are actually the problems that need addressing. The issue is the Republican ideologues in Congress which will not agree to anything sensible. On Obamacare, they want to simply get rid of it, regardless of people who can't afford medical insurance. On tax cuts, Republicans including Trump, want a huge tax cut and at the same time increased military spending. In addition Trump wants a 1 trillion infrastructure plan, government paid family leave, and assorted other spending increases. All this while we already have a budget deficit that's projected to grow without bound, and a huge amount of unfunded future liabilities. Meanwhile, no one is even talking about bringing medical costs under control, which is the main driver of the budget problems.

You raise some valid considerations . I share some of your concerns

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 526 posts
Look, WOD sees the problems with having a right wing politician as the man of the working class ;)
You can't have both a deregulated economy and a cared for working class. You can't have both low taxes and fair distribution of wealth, i.e. a large middle class. :p

Edited by Ben No.3, 01 March 2017 - 08:57 AM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5054 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I don't see this as an Icarus story. This is a guy undone by his own nature.

He lived off of saying controversial things. It was never an issue up until it was decided overnight that its time for it to become an issue. 

Literally overnight.

http://archive.is/Rhjcj (note timestamp)

In the end he's just a pawn, and throwing him under the bus was easier than the alternative. But by doing so they are playing into the shaming game the "establishment/MSM" are running.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
I don't think Milo was that important to "the movement". It's going to live or die by what Trump and Republicans in Congress do.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16957 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The 'movement' won the moment Trump got the presidency.

That was a HUGE FU to the 'establishment' even though Trump has BIGLY ties to the establishment but the establishment didn't want him. L0L Politics L0L

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8864 posts

"Those are actually the problems that need addressing. The issue is the Republican ideologues in Congress which will not agree to anything sensible. On Obamacare, they want to simply get rid of it, regardless of people who can't afford medical insurance. On tax cuts, Republicans including Trump, want a huge tax cut and at the same time increased military spending. In addition Trump wants a 1 trillion infrastructure plan, government paid family leave, and assorted other spending increases. All this while we already have a budget deficit that's projected to grow without bound, and a huge amount of unfunded future liabilities. Meanwhile, no one is even talking about bringing medical costs under control, which is the main driver of the budget problems."

Maybe he thinks he can just empty Fort Knox.

BruceVC

BruceVC

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4330 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

That was a HUGE FU to the 'establishment' even though Trump has BIGLY ties to the establishment but the establishment didn't want him. L0L Politics L0L

What are the objectives of the  " movement  ", if they won what are the outcomes for this victory?

Longknife

Longknife

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It won't do jack if those same establishment players adapt their bets to co-align with him, which they're already doing.

This isn't progress, this is "we could've fallen off Mt. Everest but instead we only fell off K2."

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3234 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

On the random innocent-whistling on some of the political spectrum..

16681764_1245377968887885_39165616864029

• TrueNeutral, Azdeus and aluminiumtrioxid like this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1008 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2373 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
At 33 pages this one's overdue. Say goodnight to this thread, make a new one if you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users