Diversity in PoE II: Deadfire / Aedyr imperials anyone?

​From the FIG.co update #9:

The Deadfire Archipelago consists of hundreds of islands spanning thousands of miles, which means there is plenty of territory to cover - land and sea. There will be numerous opportunities to explore undiscovered islands, ancient ruins, shipwrecks, treacherous storms, and more still to come.

The local kith (humanoid-types) are the Huana, a culture of semi-nomadic tribal aumaua who spread themselves thin across the islands. The tribes are distinct from one another, but they cleave to a shared sense of identity and tradition. Each Huana is part of a caste system that defines their role within the tribe. The warrior and priest class are at the front, with skilled artisans following close behind, and at last the modest laborers bringing up the rear. Equal treatment is not one of their core values, but those born in the disadvantaged underclass content themselves with knowing they'll earn a better place in society in their next life.

The Huana have populated Deadfire for as long as they can recall, but their mutable lifestyle has led to few permanent settlements and no shortage of history lost along the way. The very presence of tumbledown, monster-infested ruins suggests that local history goes deeper than legends can recall, but it would take a Watcher to know for sure.

The treasure of Deadfire is luminous adra - a more vibrant and powerful expression of the soul-channeling rock that was found in the Dyrwood. Luminous adra is a rarity that exists nowhere else in Eora, and its nature and properties remain a mystery even to those who seek it out. Vailian animancers are baffled by the volume of soul energy that luminous adra can hold - several times more than the normal variety. Subjecting the adra to processing and refinement yielded an unexpected result - draughts that restore vitality and vigor. What started as a curiosity is now a coveted resource.

With this discovery, opportunists flock to the unclaimed riches from different corners of the globe. Eager to turn a quick profit, the Vailian Trading Company brings bankers, merchants, miners, and animancers to dig up every last fleck of luminous adra. From distant Rauatai, the Royal Deadfire Company brings an armada to colonize and fortify the region in the name of civilizing the wild frontier. Last but not least, the Príncipi sen Patrena - a network of pirates who trace their lineage back to Old Vailia -peck away at the new arrivals with skill and calculation.

From the great city of Neketaka, Queen Onekaza II watches as these foreign powers encroach on the homeland of her people. To all outward appearances, she is an installed figurehead, lacking any true power over the combined might of the Vailians and Rauataians. She is smart enough to encourage this misconception, letting it grow so that she is perpetually underestimated by her enemies (even as she pits them against each other). At her side stands Prince Aruihi, observing her seeming inaction with disapproval. Though he lacks his sister's flair for subtlety, he makes up for it with the charisma and determination to unite the Huana against a common foe.

So in the game we basically have representatives from:

• 1st Aumaua nation (Royal Deadfire Company from Rauatai)
  • 2nd Aumaua nation (Huana, natives in the Deadfire)
  • 1st Vailian nation (Vailian Trading Company from Vailian Republics)
  • 2nd Vailian semi-nation (Príncipi sen Patrena, originating from Old Vailia)

What about kith from Aedyr Empire, will we see some of them? Or Raedceras for that matter? White That Wends? Living Lands? Dyrwood even? Don't get me wrong, I admire both Aumaua and Vailians (my main is a dissident from Old Vailia), but that swarm looks like a surfeit, doesn't it?

I would love to see more of them Aedyr imperials.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Diversity is out, the Huana constructed a barrier around the Deadfire and made The White that Wends pay for it.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Diversity is out, the Huana constructed a barrier around the Deadfire and made The White that Wends pay for it.

Really dude? Can an American go for 2 minutes without mentioning American politics/Trump?

Though admittedly, the title of this thread does sound a little SJWy ;)

To OP: I'm sure we'll see the occasionally backpacker from the Aedyr Empire, but for the most part, yeah, we'll be interacting with Aumaua and Vallians. I kind of like the psuedo-Italian thing, so that works for me. 

• Like 3

Make the Archipelago great again!

Though admittedly, the title of this thread does sound a little SJWy ;)

Oops, sorry.

First off, fakk Trump and his policies.

Second, the way I see it, the faction finale will go as this:

1) Rautai wins

2) Vailians win

3) Huana queen wins

4) Huana queen's brother wins

5) Pirates win

6) You win

7) (maybe?) Eothas wins

8 ) (maybe?) noone wins!

Lots of outcomes if this is really how factions/endgame gonna play.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 3

First off, fakk Trump and his policies.

Second, the way I see it, the faction finale will go as this:

1) Rautai wins

2) Vailians win

3) Huana queen wins

4) Huana queen's brother wins

5) Pirates win

6) You win

7) (maybe?) Eothas wins

8 ) (maybe?) noone wins!

Lots of outcomes if this is really how factions/endgame gonna play.

I can see that as my main character is a priest of Eothas, this game is going to be particularly challenging in terms of deciding what happens. Can't Eothas and me buddy up and take over the world or something? I'm sure the big dude has some good reason for that whole Waidwen trip and y'know stealing my soul and all that, right?

Re: diversity, well, this game is focusing on an area that's subject to colonization. I'm sure the main colonizing power will be Vailia, but just look at our world's history - wherever there's a main power, be it Spain, France, England, Germany or wherever, there are other powers trying to stick their oar in - and sometimes they end up being the main power, a hundred or two hundred years later. So I'm sure there will be some Aedyran oar-stickers out there. Perhaps super-official, because the Aedyrans may want to keep it on the downlow, but I'm sure they'll be there. You see the same in Pillars 1. Aedyr was the main colonial power, but now Vailia is getting its grubby fingers in there.

Edited by Eurhetemec

Just an fyi, we have seen people from the White That Wends, the pale elves in the Noonfrost in Twin Elms were from the White That Wends.

I know, but want more.

Aloth is from Aedyr. ;)

And does Aloth represent the political agenda of ferscönyng and mecwyn of Aedyr Empire?

I know, but want more.

need something for a game #3

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

We also already saw the fallout of the colonization efforts in PoE 1, as Dyrwood and Readceras were both former Aedyran colonies. As far as I recall Aedyr didn't have any other substantial colonial holdings, but don't quote me on that.

And who knows, maybe the Huana prince has the backing of Aedyr or another power.