so-called court of appeals ruling

Gromnir

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Wonder what online hardman speak Trump will use to respond to this.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wonder what online hardman speak Trump will use to respond to this.

already has

"SEE YOU IN COURT, THE SECURITY OF OUR NATION IS AT STAKE!"

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, I guess fear is the drum to bang on. This whole thing is so private sector it's funny, going off half-****ed with like 20 minutes of thought by about half the people that should have been involved :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

the doj pretty much dared the court to deny the appeal.  were kinda akin to the following

doj were arguing separation o' powers and deference to the President.  

"Despite the district court’s and our own repeated invitations
to explain the urgent need for the Executive Order to be
placed immediately into effect, the Government submitted
no evidence to rebut the States’ argument that the district
court’s order merely returned the nation temporarily to the
position it has occupied for many previous years.
The Government has pointed to no evidence that any
alien from any of the countries named in the Order has 
perpetrated a terrorist attack in the United States. Rather
than present evidence to explain the need for the Executive
Order, the Government has taken the position that we must
not review its decision at all.

"We disagree"

am not surprised by the ruling.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps more appropriate vid

Edited by Gromnir

This may be a long 4 years. 

I think it'll be a long period but shorter than 4 years. I'm willing to bet that Trump screws up enough politically that he's either forced to abdicate or is impeached and removed from power in disgrace because he pushed the entire establishment in a bad way.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

This may be a long 4 years. If we get a Nixonian type disgrace, which doesn't seem too unlikely, do you think he steps down?

Sorry, that was a dumb question.

We'll see bull**** the likes of which mankind has never seen before.

2 weeks into his term and Federal judges are telling him he is acting unconstitutionally.  Jesus.

That has to be a record

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

keep in mind we are talking 'bout the request o' an emergency stay o' a tro.  might not be quite what some folks thinks it means.  

HA! Good Fun!

The Constitution constitutes more of a guideline. 

You can't expect the god emperor of trumpkind to be deferent to a piece of paper. 

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

keep in mind we are talking 'bout the request o' an emergency stay o' a tro.  might not be quite what some folks thinks it means.  

HA! Good Fun!

Oh yeah. This is a 15 round bout. This is only round 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Constitution constitutes more of a guideline. 

You can't expect the god emperor of trumpkind to be deferent to a piece of paper. 

Barack Obama ignored whenever he could and bitched about it when he couldn't. President's trying to do things they cannot do is nothing new here I'm sorry to say.

Thomas Sowell

It's the court that acted unconstitutionally in this case. It's not for them to determine whether there's a security threat or not, that's the President's job. Both the Constitution and the law are crystal clear on this.

• Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

It's the court that acted unconstitutionally in this case. It's not for them to determine whether there's a security threat or not, that's the President's job. Both the Constitution and the law are crystal clear on this.

Yes, I'm sure you and Trump are better versed on this stuff than the judges.  

I think they concluded that the government didn't do a proper job of justifying such an emergency measure, or at least that's what the news here summarized for me.

Anyway, might be interesting reading to some - http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

@Hurlshot Trump has the executive power, the judges just stole it from him, has nothing to do with who is more knowledgeable. The judges are not objective, it's been obvious for a long time that liberal judges simply decide for whatever they'd like the outcome to be, the hell with the law. Was just about to post this anyway, explains one reason why this decision is so stupid and dangerous: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2017/02/09/the-9th-circuits-dangerous-and-unprecedented-use-of-campaign-statements-to-block-presidential-policy/?utm_term=.3ed5dd6ad286

Edit:

I think they concluded that the government didn't do a proper job of justifying such an emergency measure, or at least that's what the news here summarized for me.

Anyway, might be interesting reading to some - http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

They don't have to justify it, we have separation of powers, the President doesn't need to have his decisions approved by the court. All the court can rule on is whether the order is legal or not, there's no requirement anywhere for the President to prove that there's a real threat. Edited by Wrath of Dagon
  • Like 1

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No. As Gromnir intimated the only thing at issue here is if the injunction will be lifted before the whole order is litigated. The only standard the judges have to apply is if the case to overturn is likely to succeed on it's merits. In other words is there a fair chance the temporary moratorium will be overturned. They decided there was so the injunction is upheld. They did not make a decision on whether the Executive has the authority to do what it did. That will come later.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Then how do they know the case is likely to succeed on its merits? It's quite obvious the case has no merit.

Well, that is really a matter of their opinion. If you want to gnaw on THAT bone there is a bit more meat on it.

Thomas Sowell