NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

Hey, you can teach PE with. Kinesiology degree. :p

unfortunate, am betting the initial school district drug test is more efficacious than the nfl's.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hey, you can teach PE with. Kinesiology degree. :p

unfortunate, am betting the initial school district drug test is more efficacious than the nfl's.

HA! Good Fun!

Ouch.

As an aside, my PE teacher wife did have a couple guys in her classes that made it in the pros. The two NFL guys played a few years and seem to make their living off speaking events nowadays. The NBA guy had a longer career and seems to be doing well for himself.

edit: Of course, we went to a state school with a smallish program, so anyone who makes it out of there is probably a bit more realistic about the financial situation they are in. I imagine heavily recruited kids in big programs get a lot of unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Hurlshot

Well, it says 78% of players actually "file for bankruptcy" within 5 years...I think that's actually pretty broke.

No, not really. Filing for bankruptcy is a great way to protect yourself from too much debt and overhead. You will lose assets, but if you are underwater on a lot of stuff, it is typically your best bet.

it's a little worse than you s'pose.  the nflpa messed up, particular during the most recent cba.  the nfla demanded all kinds o' practical considerations which gave advantages to veteran players insofar as making money and keeping their jobs.  got rookie pay scales for first four years.  decrease practice times. changes to free agency. etc.  all seemed to benefit vets, and the very big and very public contracts seeming support such a conclusion.  well guess what? four years is longer than the typical nfl career, and something like 40% o' players is making the league minimum.  these guys burn through their cash like there is no tomorrow... and they discover 'bout three years later they got no nfl career, hardly any savings, and no real degree 'pon which to fall back 'pon.  thanks to the cba, the league has become increasing young-- opposite o' what the nflpa intended.  most folks in the nfl plays a handful o' years and then discovers how difficult it is with a middle-class (if they are lucky) job to pay for multiple italian sports cars and a mansion, or two... or three.  worse, these guys got too much pride to work as a manager at denny's, which is 'bout what their "kinesiology" *wink* degree from alabama or lsu is likely to get 'em after they quit playing.  in not rich person bankruptcy so much as guys living way too rich bankruptcy.

the nfl and nflpa gives multiple rookie seminars every year which educate players 'bout the realities o' their new careers.  the valuable information provided by the player's association and the league should be a wakeup call, but it clear isn't.  

as to the elliott investigator, you folks didn't read the comments from mr. harvey we provided 'bove.  he addressed the credibility issue o' the victim. is not as if her credibility issues were hidden from harvey, huston, lovelace davie, and white.  'ccording to the recent reports you folks is reading, the nfl investigator thought the evidence would be confusing and the victim's credibility would hurt. however, much like the lead investigator for ohio law enforcement who original investigated, those 4 individuals we mentioned 'bove accepted how the victim were untruthful 'bout an event, but still found her overall claim credible.  the meta data clear did not confuse the 4 folks reviewing.

people is selective reading to hear what they wish.  is not the smoking gun you folks believe it to be, particular if you read the actual investigator comments and not simple the headlines.

HA! Good Fun!

The meta data on the pictures of the injuries definitely seems like the glue holding it all together - without it, there wouldn't be much of a case due to the witness being unreliable and a lack of other hard evidence. Everything would've just devolved to he-and-my-buddies-said and she-and-my-buddies-said without it. However, at this point, I feel pretty safe in saying that the NFL has bungled, once again, this investigation and especially the PR aspect of it...but in a different way than they have previously. The first thing they should've done is told every media outlet that they had at least some hard evidence and detailed what it was as the suspension was being announced - not this "we'll post an interview with the experts and leave you guys to figure out the pertinent info from there". Most people just don't read anything besides headlines anymore - that information should've been one of the first things fed to the media, not the last, so that it actually got to the general NFL fan. I never even saw that interview mentioned anywhere until you posted a direct link to it...and I'm relatively on top of football news, so what the heck, NFL? They should've also allowed the lead investigator to give his input (for some reason, he was not allowed to do this prior to the suspension being handed down) and gotten him on the same page as everyone else so we don't get this crazy "lead investigator didn't think Elliot should've been suspended" nonsense. They've now bungled the appeal in a few different ways, which combined with the other things, makes it difficult to have much sympathy for the NFL at this point. How many different ways can you screw up these PR crises? Things that they could at least *try* to prevent - knowing the predictable media and subsequent fan outrage that they've faced a dozen times now - and they screw it up every time.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

am admitting we rare pay much attention to preseason anymore. reduction in practices and owner preference for cheap(er) and disposable young players to fill their rosters leaves us a bit queasy.  even so, we were kinda pulling for victor cruz to make an nfl roster. with the acl injury to one o' the bears starting wrs, the prospects o' victor cruz sticking with chicago this year looked like almost a 50-50 proposition from our pov.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838661/article/victor-cruz-released-by-chicago-bears

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I never pay attention to preseason.  The only thing I've paid any amount of attention to is the Zeke ordeal, and that's only because it's kind of hard to avoid.  Otherwise, I've watched a grand total of 0 minutes of preseason football in the past decade and maybe 4 or 5 hours total in my entire life.  During the NFL season I'm super into it and on Sunday I'm all about watching football, there has to be something pretty awesome to pull me away from watching football.  It's maybe the only sport I'll happily watch games where my team isn't involved.    Once the season is over and before the regular season begins, though, I completely turn it off and don't care about anything football related in the slightest, except for the draft.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I would have preferred Elliot to wait for the arbitration ruling before pulling the trigger on the law suit. Kinda forces Henderson into a corner with no real motivation to reduce the ban. Why bother, let the court sort it out. By the time its done, the ban will kick in just in time to suspend him for any potential playoff games. :lol:

Ive been watching the highlights of the starters, and Prescott has looked very good. Bryant is getting back to his old self and I think McFadden/Morris is "good enough" at RB. They are going to really need Marinelli to turn his voodoo up to 11 though on defense.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIwhn2pXgAEfeqt?format=jpg

Appeal statement from the girl who fought with Elliot's ex-girlfriend. ...In other news, it's really not fair that my fantasy football league drafts tomorrow and we still have no resolution to this...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

EE's suspension upheld. However, he may still play week 1 (it's not exactly clear: due to the fact that it took the arbitrator longer than expected to make a decision, it seems as though it might be too late for the suspension to kick in week 1, but again, it's not totally clear and there're conflicting sources on this), and there is also a chance of an injunction being handed down.

Edited by Bartimaeus

From the sounds of it, the Texas judge currently involved seems to be favoring Ezekiel's side, possibly as a result of procedural errors committed by the NFL leading to what the judge reportedly termed "problems of fairness". While the NFL does have the ability to suspend anyone for any reason, there is still a procedure that they're supposed to follow to do that, and if they screwed that up, Elliot may actually be successful here. Though Elliot might run into a Brady situation where the initial court case is successful, but is then appealed up and reversed for the next season...

(e): Also, it has been confirmed that he will play week 1, as the arbitrator was too late to make a decision.

Edited by Bartimaeus

^ Wait just a second, the NFL made errors during its investigation? Say it ain't so! And they had such a spotless record in their previous investigations. :p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well, that's not quite what I meant. The NFL probably can make as many errors and tell as many lies as it wishes to during the investigation itself, but they still have to follow proper procedures in handing down suspensions (if I recall correctly, the NFLPA president *must* be notified/contacted before a suspension is handed down, for example) and the appeal process, which, from the sounds of it, they may not have done.

2017-09-07-FootballBack.png

• Like 1

Uh, wow. ...Glad I took Kareem Hunt late in my fantasy league?

A Texas judge has blocked the suspension the NFL handed down to Zeke.  Until the matter is resolved he is free to play any and all games.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

:lol:

Huh, I did not see this injunction coming.

I mean, it was obvious there was at least a decent chance when the judge specifically called out the NFL.

While this particular judge seems to favor Elliot's side, from what I understand this case isn't that fundamentally different from the Brady case: the NFL makes unforced procedural errors in the trial (or appeal, in this case), and the lower level judge takes issue with it and sides with the player...and then it's appealed to a higher court, who realizes that while the procedural errors were stupid and arguably unfair by the NFL, they ultimately made no material difference in the NFL handing down the suspension, which they have extremely broad authority to give. I would expect EE to play the entirety of this year, but don't be surprised when the NFL ultimately wins this one next season.