NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

Anyone who trusts the NFL is an idiot.   Funny though you are willing to give Goodell and the NFL the benefit of the doubt but not the law (who you presumably work for) or an individual. That is hilarious! Comparing a mom dealing wit a broken lamp to this is silly and the name syou listed all have an obvious agenda. I wouldn't trust them to be unbias. But, yeah, keep 'an open mind' mind on behalf of the  malicious satanic and evil NFL but not the law or the individual. LMAO

Still funny you think the NFL deserves 'benefit of the doubt' but nobody else does. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Without seeing the full extent of the NFL's investigation into the allegations against Zeke, something I'm quite sure the public will never see, heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Zeke himself never sees the full report, I cannot make a fully informed judgement on whether Goodell and the NFL acted correctly.  Given my opinion of Goodell and the NFL brass (it contains words that this forum's software would auto-censor) and their recent history of inconsistent rulings and flip-flopping on rulings, I'm not about to give them the benefit of the doubt.  

Obviously, as a Cowboys fan, I'm going to be biased (that's human nature) and lean toward wanting to believe Zeke's side of the story, since I want him on the field giving opposing teams' defensive coordinators nightmares.  That said, if presented with solid evidence of wrongdoing on Zeke's part, I would have no choice but to change my stance.  Having been given no such evidence there is nothing to sway me away from leaning toward believing Zeke.  All I, or anyone else in the general public, has to go on, are the allegations and the fact that the prosecution thought the accuser's testimony was inconsistent and not substantial enough to warrant making a formal charge.

I'm sure there were spats that contained verbal jabs and there may have been physical contact from one or both parties, as is common when relationships end on a sour note.  It's certainly possible that there was physicality that crossed the line from Zeke.  It's also possible that this is the "revenge" of a vindictive ex who realized that she's about to miss out on riding the gravy train of Zeke's NFL money.  Given the scant (read: nonexistent) details we've been given, I find both scenarios equally as plausible.  The NFL is a private organization and can use whatever standards they see fit for their tribunal, they don't have to follow the United States' mantra of innocent until proven guilty.  I, however, do follow said mantra.  Until I am presented with solid evidence of Zeke's guilt, I will continue to presume him innocent.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm a Giants fans and it only helps me that Cowboys lose one of their best players but its irrelevant. I don't trust Goodell and the NFL. Anyone who does depsite their secrecy and their 'trsut us we know' nonsense are either morans or brainwashed. They've been caught in lies, delusions, and hiding the facts multiple times.  What is to trust? Heck, they convicted  people even when their own investigators told them there wans't enouh evidence. LMAO

• Like 1

I may not be as extreme in my denouncement of Goodell and the NFL and Volo, but, for once, I can agree with a Giants fan.  Give Goodell and the NFL the benefit of the doubt.  Based on what?  Based on their record of dubious rulings, backtracking, inconsistency, and secrecy?  I should blindly trust them based on that?  Are you daft?  I mean, sure, the NFL might not be quite as corrupt as FIFA (they have yet to put out a full feature movie about their honor and purity within a year of a scandal that sees their high ranking officers arrested for fraud) but I'm not about to give them even a modicum of trust.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You can link to a specific tweet by clicking on the tweet in question (as it will update the URL), FYI.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I know, brevity can't always convey an apropos comedy of errors. Sorry if multiple tweets come across similarly to putting ketchup and mayo on your burger.

Bolts fans, tomorrow, Tuesday, 1pm to 1am Pacific, don't miss it, your Los Angeles Chargers offering free team-themed tattoos from Shamrock Social Club, West Hollywood. Be there, or, don't. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Yeah, I looked at more of their errors. Seems like an unusual amount, even for a local news station.

In regards to the tattoos, I think I heard it summed up elsewhere best: the Chargers want you to get something permanent of them...right after they move cities. Hmm.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

NFLPA's response to the Zeke allegations: https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/897884477984256001

We are so going to have a lockout in 2020.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Well, hopefully it actually does something. Tackling since the latest CBA (i.e. since teams started getting hard limits on how much and what kind of practicing they can do) has taken a real nose dive league-wide...

• 2 weeks later...

Ezekiel Elliot reportedly looking to go to court over his suspension. I suppose the NFLPA is driving it, perhaps so that it can point to these incidents to the players so they know what they're fighting for in the new CBA come 2021 and so that they don't immediately cave (it should also help that a few of the owners, including Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones, should definitely feel wronged by the commissioner's broad power at this point). EE will 99.9% lose, and he probably won't even be given an injunction on the suspension at this point.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Peter Harvey

https://www.pbwt.com/peter-c-harvey/

Ken Houston

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Where-Are-They-Now-Ken-Houston/e7c3407d-37f9-46f2-80fc-09fa6b66e55d

Tonya Lovelace Davis

http://www.wocninc.org/about-wocn/staff/

Mary Jo White

http://www.debevoise.com/maryjowhite?tab=Biography

these four folks were asked by the nfl to independent review the ezekiel elliott case.  all four o' them determined mr. elliott were having violated the nfl rules o' personal conduct regarding domestic violence.  all of 'em.  goodell then met with each one o' the four folks mentioned 'bove to get their thoughts on the matter.

anybody who bothers to do so will be able to find detailed feedback from mr. harvey and tonya lovelace davis regarding the process and some o' the findings o' the ezekiel elliott case.  were not a difficult decision. 

again, all four o' the 'bove personages were convinced ezekiel elliott deserved punishment for violation o' nfl code o' conduct 'cause o' domestic violence.

the nflpa is doing what they do, but nobody thinks they got a fart's chance at stopping a hurricane insofar as the ezekiel elliot issue is concerned.

we asked folks to keep an open mind.  is different than giving the nfl or elliott the benefit o' the doubt.  read comments from mr. harvey and others before deciding the nfl done wrong.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, I tried reading an interview from Tonya Davis on the case, but uh, it was pretty worthless. A whole lot of generalities and background information that maybe have some kind of implications if you're really trying to read into it...but which had nothing to do directly with the case. I wasn't expecting her to like, you know, totally spill the beans on the case or anything (that'd probably be a real quick way to never have any input on something like this ever again), but if you're trying to convince an indignant and confused fanbase of something that is seemingly not supported by any real evidence, ya' probably could do a little better than that. Would you care to link to a more insightful interview?

Edited by Bartimaeus

Gromnir stilkl stand up for the small guy.. the NFL. I don't believe anything ritten in support of the NFLK or their decisions when it comes to stuff like this.  Every single person listed there are biased pieces of crap.  And, yeah, when it comes to the NFL, I am also a biased piece of crap.

"I don't believe anything ritten in support of the NFLK or their decisions when it comes to stuff like this."

which is precise why your opinion is easily ignored.  you made your decision based on nothing save for the fact the nfl were involved in the process. 

"Every single person listed there are biased pieces of crap."

provide support.  explain to us how ken houston and peter harvey woulda' been biased so as to make 'em incompetent to deliver a useful opinion regarding elliott?  you got a couple o' the most respected lawyers in the country.  got an nfl hall o' famer with an unimpeachable reputation.  got a diverse group. even if you could convince a reasonable person o' the bias o' one o' the four, you is looking darn obtuse trying to suggest all four were incapable o' giving meaningful feedback.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/CONFERENCE-CALL-RE---EZEKIEL-ELLIOTT-DISCIPLINARY-DECISION-.aspx

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-cowboys-elliott-suspension-20170811-story.html

comments, particular from mr. harvey, is not hard to find.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thank you for the links, especially the first one, which is the best info I've seen so far on it. Although this appears to an official NFL website, I don't recall this document being publicized a couple of weeks ago. (e): Based on the document, the general feeling seems to be that he likely did it (and based on what they said, I wouldn't disagree and I don't think there's any reason to doubt their integrity), but there mightn't be enough hard evidence to criminally convict him. It's not ideal, but at least it's not as much of a flaming crapheap of an investigation as Deflategate was.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Apparently Johnny Manziel worked out for the Hamilton Tiger Cats of the CFL last week. They declined to sign him. It seems he wasn't in shape and being able to complete a pass in the CFL is pretty important since there is 1 fewer down to do it with.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/30/sports/espn-ed-cunningham-football-concussions.html?smid=tw-nytsports&smtyp=cur&_r=1

am personal inching closer to a similar decision regarding football. why the delay? lack o' character on our part.

as an aside, we do believe Ezekiel Elliot's appeal were handled poor. ultimately the appeal shortcomings will be a non-issue, but such will help further delay the process as the nfl once again fumbled (yeah, we went there) the arguable easiest part o' the elliot situation.

HA! Good Fun!

Unlike a lot of people, I look forward to the day where players have to tackle properly (i.e. wrap-up) instead of trying to knock each others' brains out, and when interior linemen aren't smashing their heads together on every snap. Yeah, it'll slow the game down some, but it's necessary and the change will be forgotten for the most part in a few years once it's done (...although defensive linemen will probably struggle to evolve for a while if the three-point stance is eliminated).

In regards to Ezekiel, it seems as though Schefter from ESPN (pretty much the only guy worth anything that still works at ESPN and has actual insider sources...) now thinks that there's a decent chance Elliot's suspension is reduced (which is interesting, because I'm pretty sure he previously thought it wouldn't be - something must've changed his mind).

Edited by Bartimaeus

...that starts at the high school (or lower) level, when parents and school reps are pressuring kids to play and where kids obviously don't know about the risks of playing football when they're starting. By the time they finish their collegiate careers, they have already likely suffered brain damage without receiving anything more than an education for it. This is also looking at the issue with a modern and knowledgeable perspective: for decades, the NFL have tried to cover up issues of brain health as it relates to football, and I think the issue was especially murky for the young black men coming from awful situations that the NFL relies so heavily upon. Nowadays, the risks are more well-known...and what do you know, more and more parents are not having their kids play the game. Personally, I don't want these next 5-15 years be the final years of a golden age of football as the game suffers from a dearth of talent due to mostly preventable brain injuries, especially when it's so painfully obviously that we'll look back on these years as being unnecessarily brutal and awful for no real reason.

(e): ninja-ed by Shady

Edited by Bartimaeus

Professional football has been around since 1892. I feel confident that CTE is only "news" to us spectators, not the guys that have been playing the game their entire lives. Even though 99%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of players have it, its weird how it only kicks in years after the fact, and a much smaller percentage of players actually show any symptoms. :shrugz: Must be some other risk factors at play too.

What? Why would "99%" of players have it?