NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

Bleacher Report has a pretty bad reputation for doing the latter, too...

Yeah, it does. That's why I mentioned it so everyone can make of the info what they will.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I believe the offensive coordinator in Miami worked with Cutler in Chicago, so there is familiarity.

I keep hoping they give David Fales a shot. He has all the records for my alma mater but is stuck as a 3rd string guy. He outdueled Derek Carr in college.

I believe the offensive coordinator in Miami worked with Cutler in Chicago, so there is familiarity.

Not only that, but the one year that Cutler had him as his offensive coordinator was his best.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Bills actually ran a bit of a sort of read option offense this past season, and consequently had the best run game in the NFL by a bit. Makes sense, given that their QB, Tyrod, is still developing(?) and has limitations he needs to work through. The fact that other teams don't run it very much anymore may also help explain why defenses had difficulty defending it.

https://profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-unstoppable-option-run-schemes-of-the-buffalo-bills

so-called gimmick systems has always been utilized in football.  as a matter o' fact, the service academies at the collegiate level still run the triple-option in part 'cause so few o' their opponents will be able to devote more than one week o' practice in preparation o' facing the triple-option.

am suspecting the most significant factor limiting the prospects o' kaepernick being signed (beyond his woeful accuracy and poor decision making skills) is not bigoted owners, but shortsighted players.  the cba is specific tailored to favor veteran players over younger players.  yeah, fixed/capped rookie contracts is an obvious veteran advantage, but so too is reduced practice hours.  as much as the reduced practices were touted as a health conscious appeal (injury totals and retirement ages for the last couple seasons don't support such a notion) reduced practice times were also implemented to favor vets as such limits almost halved the on-field time in which new players were afforded an opportunity to learn the intricacies o' complex nfl systems. even vets from other teams would have a much harder time unseating an established veteran presence if the new guy only had 1⁄2 as many opportunities to show improvement over an established player. unfortunate for kaepernick, 1⁄2 practice time for coaches and teams means few nfl franchises is gonna implement run-option for the possibility o' a backup qb getting a few snaps or even a few starts.  to be effective, kaepernick needs be in a run-option kinda system.  is no longer efficient for a team to implement a unique package for a backup qb.

HA! Good Fun!

ps the triple-option also goes a long way in negating an opponent's size advantage in the trenches.  to defend triple-option requires good lateral movement in addition to ironclad discipline. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The reduced practice time is also part of why offensive line play have steadily gotten worse since the CBA was signed...in addition to college coaches not giving a crap about their players' futures and failing to teach them NFL skills. I guess it's not really their problem, but it definitely has become a problem for NFL teams and players...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcjkaQRuIuI

smoke if not fire.

cris carter claiming zeke destroyed evidence in addition to beating his girlfriend.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm sure the recent alleged DJ-beating incident didn't help his case any, although from the sounds of it, the DJ is refusing to press charges or even say that it was indeed EE (witnesses say it was him, though). Not sure if he'll get dinged for that, too.

also, I'm not watching that trash show and recommend everyone to do the same, :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

Heh. While I would like for the Packers to not have to face him in...week 5, is it?...if there's no solid proof, it's probably unwarranted, same as Deflategate. Our God Emperor Goodell may feel differently about the matter, however...

Edited by Bartimaeus

I had to laugh about the Spike Lee rally in front of the NFL headquarters. One millionaire trying really hard to help another millionaire. Should have just given the cost of that rally to the 5 bums they had to move out of the way to stage it.

Theres also some kind of petition floating around that has received ~130000 signatures threatening to boycott unless a team signs Kap. What are people thinking? How is that supposed to work out? I guess the important thing is that noise is being made. :(

already in one, and not sure that I could handle being in two, but maybe if other people were interested

on a side-note, I think it's generally considered that nfl.com is the worst fantasy football site, while yahoo is, weirdly enough, the best, followed by espn

Ezekiel Elliot announcement expected tomorrow.

In other news, QUIT HURTING EACH OTHER IN THE PRESEASON YOU BOZOS

Edited by Bartimaeus

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20311316/jacksonville-jaguars-rb-leonard-fournette-says-debut-was-really-easy

maybe not the sharpest pencil in the box. pre-season is defenses and offenses playing most vanilla packages possible, and the vets is playing at 80% effort... at most. am suspecting a few afc south linebackers has unneeded bulletin board material in anticipation o' playing 'gainst the jaguars. sadly, the guy most likely to pay for fournette mouthiness is blake bortles, who will no doubt be digging his chin strap outta his ear after the rookie running back whiffs on blocks 'gainst defenders coming on unexpected blitzes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20302469/ezekiel-elliott-dallas-cowboys-suspended-six-games

appeal down to 4?

HA! Good Fun!

ps is gauche, but am gonna indulge in "i told you so." even on these boards we warned 'bout off-the-field issues when zeke were drafted.  is not a surprise.  

Edited by Gromnir

bills trade top wr and cb for draft picks and scrubs.  even if the trade works out for the bills in the long run, gotta suck to know bills management has already thrown in the towel on 2017-2018.

HA! Good Fun!

Zeke suspended 6 games.  Disappointing, but not unexpected.  The Ginger Hammer has shown a willingness to suspend players before with no actual evidence and no formal charges filed.  In an ideal world, the Cowboys appeal, manage to drag out the process for about 8 weeks or so, go 7-1 in the interim, then give in and accept the suspension, Zeke gets a 6 week vacation, the Boys go 4-2 during that time, bringing them to 11-3, Zeke comes back with 2 games left, knocks the rust off, and the Boys go into the playoffs at 13-3 (again) with a super fresh Zeke who has a chip on his shoulder.

Okay, so that's wishful thinking, I know, but the chip on the shoulder part, at the very least, should come to pass.  Uncle Jerry and Coach Garrett should definitely use this as bulletin board "The league is out to get us" and "Us vs them" material.  Our running game should still be good (obviously not as good) without Zeke.  Our first 6 games are:

Giants

@ Broncos

@ Cards

Rams

Packers

@Niners

If we can go 3-3 or better during that stretch, we'll be fine.  The best thing to do now is to win the Super Bowl just to spit in Goodell's face.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Goodell is one of the most evil, psychotic scumbag people to live. It says a lot that the NFL owners support him and the NFLPA is too cowardly and wussy to genuinely stand up to him.  The NFL is anti Amerika despite their constant Amerikan army hoopla since they do NOT believe in innocent until proven guilty. And, no, this is NOT about the NFL 'Brand'. The Elliot case did not harm the NFL brand.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Zeke suspended 6 games.  Disappointing, but not unexpected.  The Ginger Hammer has shown a willingness to suspend players before with no actual evidence and no formal charges filed.  In an ideal world, the Cowboys appeal, manage to drag out the process for about 8 weeks or so, go 7-1 in the interim, then give in and accept the suspension, Zeke gets a 6 week vacation, the Boys go 4-2 during that time, bringing them to 11-3, Zeke comes back with 2 games left, knocks the rust off, and the Boys go into the playoffs at 13-3 (again) with a super fresh Zeke who has a chip on his shoulder.

Zeke has 3 days to appeal, and the general guideline is that a decision comes within 10 days. For an investigation that's lasted this bloody long, I doubt they'd take more than that. However, like Gromnir said, he might get it down to 4, maybe even 3.

am thinking folks is gonna be surprised when they discover how the zeke elliot decision were reached.  were not goodell in a vacuum. 

"The league’s four outside advisers in the case also attended. They were identified in the league’s letter to Elliott as Peter Harvey, the former attorney general of New Jersey; former NFL safety Ken Houston, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame; Tonya Lovelace, the chief executive officer of Women of Color Network, Inc; and Mary Jo White, a former federal prosecutor and former chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission."

these folks came to a consensus decision regarding elliot violation o' nfl policy and then goodell interviewed 'em separate. 

the cba doesn't require guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and innocent until proven guilty has never been a standard applied serious outside a courtroom in any case. mom sees the broken lamp in the living room and she ain't calling in investigators to prove whether billy or betty were at fault. your neighbor manages to avoid a sex trafficking charge thanks to a bad warrant and who amongst us asks him to watch over your kids for a few hours while you run back to the office to get your missing laptop?  folks should realize the league's personal conduct policy is at issue and not the state o' ohio's criminal code. 

in the next few days, is gonna become known just how different were this process compared to the ray rice non-suspension/suspension. hopefully some folks is open-minded and honest enough to consider the possibility the nfl got it right this time. might wanna wait to judge 'til more is known.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

But it's much easier to judge now based on limited information and previous screw-ups by the NFL... :p

Edited by Bartimaeus