NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

He took the bullet for all the other more talented players transgressions. It was fine when it looked solid that he really did do a crime but as soon as it was cleared up Dallas should have apologized (in private) and brought him back in. If its performance based they could have cut him with the rest of the cuts after training camp.

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/PFT_Live/status/890192337695068160

Lucky Whitehead sat across from Coach Garrett and said "Coach you gotta believe me, I did not do this." Coach said, "I do not believe you."

ouch

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well, to be fair, I wouldn't have believed some stranger had his name, address, and social security number either. Plus the police checked Virginia DMV and the picture was close to that of Lucky. Its what transpired AFTER he was cleared that is sickening and cowardly. "We have decided to more on..." makes me want to type out a strongly worded email! :lol:

Nope.   Dallas beinge vil. The coach being evil. The poiice being evil. The media being evil. An innocent man gets screwed over and the big reaction is *shrug*. LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Fwiiw, the police retracted all charges and issued an apology and the Dallas area media are up the teams butt sideways. But I do agree JJ and Garrett are coming off as weasels. Cant unring a bell though so hopefully he will be picked up by one of the other teams already showing interest. The whole thing has my..."underdog reflex" all riled up. :lol:

He was claimed by the Jets.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Hey, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. :p

...On a side-note, the waiver system is weird. I understand the need for a draft - an attempt at parity - but I feel like after your original team gives up its rights on you, you should have the freedom to go where you want...

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah. Just another example of the NFLPA failing the players. Other leagues have their own version of the waiver wire. It is illogical. If a team cuts a player he should be a FA. Period.. Then again, in the NFL, it is okay for teams NOT to honour their deals so this ain't surprising.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The waiver wire only applies to their first four years, too. After that, if they're cut, then they are a "street" free agent (or if their contract just expires, they're an "unrestricted" free agent - the two are different for the purposes of a few things, including compensatory picks). The NFL gets pretty good control on these guys' youth...

• 2 weeks later...

The Dolphins signed Jay Cutler. I suspect they had better scout QB's for the draft next year. This Tannyhill thing is not working out. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Dolphins must figure they have a pretty good shot at and in the playoffs this year. Not totally sure that I agree (even knowing that they went to the playoffs last year), but if they win a game (or two!) against the Patriots as a result, they've done their job in the regular season at least.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Well Kaepernick's Fidel Castro fandom would not fly in Miami. I can tell you that for a f-----g fact. There are a lot of people there whose families were imprisioned or outright murdered at that monsters orders. So Kaep was a non-starter. After that who is there? RG3? That poor guy never had a chance with his bad knees. None of the other options are better than their own back up Moore. 

Speaking of Kaepernick his girlfreind called Baltimore Ravens owner Steve Biscotti a slave owner and Ravens HoF linebacker Ray Lewis and Uncle Tom. I really can't imagine why no one wants to sign that mess up and get a QB with a TQBR of 45.5.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

That's the thing with Kaepernick.  Some people are trying to spin the story that he's being blackballed from the NFL because of his outspokenness and political views.  The fact of the matter is that he had 1 solid season under a coach that new how to best exploit his athleticism, after that his play has been mediocre at best.  If the guy was a good, or even just mid-tier starter-level QB then there would be plenty of teams willing to give him a chance.  Given that over his career his quality of play has been backup-level, I can't blame any of the teams for not wanting to take on all the baggage and headaches that come with Kaep for a guy that's likely going to do little, if anything, to help their team win.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's a fact. When Micheal Vick got out of prison there was not a more reviled man in the NFL. Still, despite three years off he found work. Why? He could still play. Ability trumps politics every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If Kaepernick did not completely stink on the field no one would give a damn about his sitting, kneeling, or even Castro praising. Touchdowns mean more than protests. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

That's a fact. When Micheal Vick got out of prison there was not a more reviled man in the NFL. Still, despite three years off he found work. Why? He could still play. Ability trumps politics every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If Kaepernick did not completely stink on the field no one would give a damn about his sitting, kneeling, or even Castro praising. Touchdowns mean more than protests. 

I do not agree.  Nobody really knows it because nobody really watched much of the 49ers last year, but Kaepernick performed pretty well in a bad situation.  He's been growing as a player, but the general fanbase hasn't noticed much.  He's a legit starter in the NFL.  Probably an above-average one. 

The Vick comparison is interesting, but there are a few key reasons why Kaepernick's situation is very different.  First off, Vick had served his time and made the appropriate public expressions of remorse for his crimes.  Kaepernick has done nothing criminal, but he also hasn't apologized for his "offenses" in a way that teams can sell to dubious fans.  Second, the NFL hasn't spent the last generation tying themselves to animal welfare causes for marketing purposes.  They have, however, poured a ridiculous amount of time and effort into field-sized flags, military color guards, celebrity anthem performances, F-18 flyovers, partnerships with military-related charities, etc.  Patriotism is a deliberate marketing tool for the business that is the NFL.  Third, racial politics weren't involved in the Vick thing.  ​NFL ownership is keenly aware that they are a bunch of predominantly white dudes, making a lot of money exhibiting the talents of guys who are mostly black, to an audience that is mostly white.  Open discussion of racial politics is very dangerous to this kind of arrangement.  Lastly, Vick was sui generis.  With Kaepernick, other players were following him.  The incentive to squash this kind of thing before it spreads further is strong, in a way that wasn't the case with Vick. 

​As for the Cutler move, Miami just threw $10M away for fan morale.  In reality, unless you've got a young guy on the roster who could surprise you with a Brady-like emergence (or even a Cassel-like emergence to generate some trade value), losing your starting QB to injury at this point in the year is a season-ender.  Better to acknowledge it now than later.  A 34-year-old, post-labrum-tear Cutler gets them maybe a couple more wins than going with Moore all year, and maybe they get the excitement of being in the wildcard chase late in the season.  It's nice to have hope of finishing 8-8 instead of 6-10, but it falls well short of making them a legitimate championship contender, and you're giving up useful long-term resources (cap space and 2018 draft position) to do so. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 2

The Vick comparison is interesting, but there are a few key reasons why Kaepernick's situation is very different.  First off, Vick had served his time and made the appropriate public expressions of remorse for his crimes.  Kaepernick has done nothing criminal, but he also hasn't apologized for his "offenses" in a way that teams can sell to dubious fans.  Second, the NFL hasn't spent the last generation tying themselves to animal welfare causes for marketing purposes.  They have, however, poured a ridiculous amount of time and effort into field-sized flags, military color guards, celebrity anthem performances, F-18 flyovers, partnerships with military-related charities, etc.  Patriotism is a deliberate marketing tool for the business that is the NFL.  Third, racial politics weren't involved in the Vick thing.  ​NFL ownership is keenly aware that they are a bunch of predominantly white dudes, making a lot of money exhibiting the talents of guys who are mostly black, to an audience that is mostly white.  Open discussion of racial politics is very dangerous to this kind of arrangement.  Lastly, Vick was sui generis.  With Kaepernick, other players were following him.  The incentive to squash this kind of thing before it spreads further is strong, in a way that wasn't the case with Vick. 

​As for the Cutler move, Miami just threw $10M away for fan morale.  In reality, unless you've got a young guy on the roster who could surprise you with a Brady-like emergence (or even a Cassel-like emergence to generate some trade value), losing your starting QB to injury at this point in the year is a season-ender.  Better to acknowledge it now than later.  A 34-year-old, post-labrum-tear Cutler gets them maybe a couple more wins than going with Moore all year, and maybe they get the excitement of being in the wildcard chase late in the season.  It's nice to have hope of finishing 8-8 instead of 6-10, but it falls well short of making them a legitimate championship contender, and you're giving up useful long-term resources (cap space and 2018 draft position) to do so. 

Good point, and very good point. Although I don't think Kaepernick has done anything he needs to apologize for. He's been a jerk in how he's handled this whole thing but that is no crime. I figured out a long time ago there are many people I root for in sports and other things whose company I probably couldn't stand if I ever met them. What matters is what happens between kickoff & 00:00 in the 4th Quarter. And his QBR has been in decline every year since 2012. He's had over 200 attempts in every season so it's a legit measurement. Starting in '12 we went 75.3, 68.1, 67.7, 46.5, to 45.5 last season. That number is heading in the wrong direction for all the other negatives about him, not the least of which (from what I've read) was his asking price. 

And I agree on the Cutler decision too. Matt Moore has been in the fire before. He's not spectacular but he's not a man who will make the big mistake.  Why throw good money after bad? Besides, the '72 Dolphins, the '90 Giants, & 2000 Ravens all won the Superbowl with back-up QBs who stayed back-up QBs after.

Thomas Sowell

Apparently the Dolphins also considered Kyle Orton & Tim Tebow as well as Kaep & Cutler. The former is two years into retirement and the latter has a better than even chance of actually making in to the Major Leagues now (who woulda thought).

I guess there really is not good option when you lose your QB in training camp. Just the least bad one.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-dolphins-considered-tebow-before-signing-cutler/ar-AApyQLn?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

I just realized. That's a serious Denver connection there isn't it? They also called Payton Manning last season. While you're at it why not track down Jake Plummer or give Elway a call.  :lol: 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

I do not agree.  Nobody really knows it because nobody really watched much of the 49ers last year, but Kaepernick performed pretty well in a bad situation.  He's been growing as a player, but the general fanbase hasn't noticed much.  He's a legit starter in the NFL.  Probably an above-average one. 

disagree. kaepernick is a significant below-average qb with above average athleticism. his accuracy is nowhere near starter levels.  kaepernick did well in one particular system with one particular coach. kaepernick has proven he is incapable o' grasping the intricacies o' complex nfl offenses and he has never learned how to throw the ball with touch when necessary. kaepernick is the proverbial coach killer.  'cause o' his athleticism and arm strength, he will succeed on occasion in spite o' bad decision making and poor accuracy-- he is a less polished version o' jay cutler. he is a tim tebow, without the in-your-face christianity.  tim tebow ain't playing football either. 

even so, am thinking kaepernick has value as a third-string guy.  he is not the player you want to build a team 'round, but his physical ability is unquestionable and particular for a defense likely prepared for qb1 or qb 2, kaepernick presents unique challenges... as a backup.  from a football standpoint, we can't see kaepernick as a starter anywhere in the league.  we don't even see kaepernick as a great backup option, but is not a good football reason he ain't been signed yet as most teams carry 3 qbs. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps is a bit dated, but kaepernick skills and mental preparations ain't improved since the following:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/11/03/colin-kaepernick-doesnt-deserve-a-second-chance-as-an-nfl-starter/?utm_term=.5ba1294d7d9a

he is a round peg for square-hole qb opportunities.  he ain't a starter.  he ain't the qb o' the future.  he ain't the ideal mentor for the franchise qb o' the future.  he is an athletically gifted backup for a team who wants to win now rather than take a risk on young/cheap talent. 

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

From what I've read on Bleacher Report and elsewhere Kaepernick is not interested in 3rd string money. His asking price was high enough it turned the Seahawks off. Whatever it is.

Thomas Sowell

When the Seahawks were considering signing him, it was reported that he was "content with being a backup". Was he actually? Who knows: until you hear something directly from the the person in question, these random anonymous "sources" and speculation-disguised-as-reports don't mean a whole lot these days. Bleacher Report has a pretty bad reputation for doing the latter, too...

biggest obstacle for kaepernick as a starter is nobody in the league runs the read-option anymore.  chip kelly were the last holdout nfl coach running a variant read-option system.  read-option is what harbaugh used to maximize kaepernick's talents.  is also what the broncos ran with tebow. kaepernick just don't... fit.

even so, is a bit perplexing to look at all the 2nd and 3rd string qbs on nfl rosters and not see kaepernick as an improvement for some team.  he shouldn't be a starter. if he demands starter money, then such would explain the disconnect.  however, if kaepernick is willing to be a backup, then we have a hard time coming up with a football rationale for his absence from any nfl roster. too much physical talent and too much potential to give you an extra win or two when number the number 1qb goes down with an injury.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Bills actually ran a bit of a sort of read option offense this past season, and consequently had the best run game in the NFL by a bit. Makes sense, given that their QB, Tyrod, is still developing(?) and has limitations he needs to work through. The fact that other teams don't run it very much anymore may also help explain why defenses had difficulty defending it.

https://profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-unstoppable-option-run-schemes-of-the-buffalo-bills

Edited by Bartimaeus