NFL 2017-2018 Season

Bartimaeus

For the record, I'm not a cowboys fan, but I disagree with the very concept of an 'undeserved turnover'. In this case, for example, it was very deserved. Down only by three with thirty seconds, and well within field goal range and instead of going out of bounds and settling on the field goal, Carr stretches out with the ball and loses it. What about that play warrants a mulligan? There are only two places on the entire field where fumbling the ball forward out of bounds can hurt the offense (in the field of play neither hurts nor helps) and they are both the endzone. At the bare minim losing the ball out of bounds in the endzone should result in a loss of downs. 

The rule regarding fumbling a ball into the endzone and out of bounds has been the subject of much scrutiny, including from NFL officials, some of whom hate the rule too.  The problem is that there's no easy answer as to what you replace it with, else it would already have been replaced.  If you make it work like fumbles out of bounds work on any other part of the field, that's much too lenient, in my opinion.  The endzone is the most critical part of the field, all mistakes are magnified there (e.g. an offense committing a penalty while the ball is in their own endzone results in a safety).  However, I think the rule, as it stands, is much too harsh a penalty toward the offense.  We need something in the middle ground.  The best solution I can think of is to let the offense retain the ball* but spot the ball on the 20.  The down counts and the sticks remain where they were.  99.9% of the time, a fumble that will go into the endzone and then out of bounds will occur within the 5 yard line, so you're looking at losing at least 15 yards of field position, the equivalent of a personal foul penalty.  Most of the time, it will put the offense in a long distance down (e.g. 3rd and goal from the 20, 4th and 17, etc.) and will likely ultimately lead to a FG attempt.  Even if the play does result in a first down (it was at the end of a big yardage gain play where the 20 yard line is still enough to move the sticks) you're still losing a big chunk of yardage.

* If the play occurred on a 4th down play and the 20 yard line is not enough to move the sticks then the ball is turned over on downs and the defense gets the ball on the 20, like it does now.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The rule regarding fumbling a ball into the endzone and out of bounds has been the subject of much scrutiny, including from NFL officials, some of whom hate the rule too.  bThe problem is that there's no easy answer as to what you replace it with, else it would already have been replaced. If you make it work like fumbles out of bounds work on any other part of the field, that's much too lenient, in my opinion.  The endzone is the most critical part of the field, all mistakes are magnified there (e.g. an offense committing a penalty while the ball is in their own endzone results in a safety).  However, I think the rule, as it stands, is much too harsh a penalty toward the offense.  We need something in the middle ground.  The best solution I can think of is to let the offense retain the ball* but spot the ball on the 20.  The down counts and the sticks remain where they were.  99.9% of the time, a fumble that will go into the endzone and then out of bounds will occur within the 5 yard line, so you're looking at losing at least 15 yards of field position, the equivalent of a personal foul penalty.  Most of the time, it will put the offense in a long distance down (e.g. 3rd and goal from the 20, 4th and 17, etc.) and will likely ultimately lead to a FG attempt.  Even if the play does result in a first down (it was at the end of a big yardage gain play where the 20 yard line is still enough to move the sticks) you're still losing a big chunk of yardage.

* If the play occurred on a 4th down play and the 20 yard line is not enough to move the sticks then the ball is turned over on downs and the defense gets the ball on the 20, like it does now.

Which is kind of my whole point: there isn't a obviously better option. By the way, if the rule gets changed I like you idea.

• Like 2

Anyone want to go in on the Panthers with me? We can start a GoFundMe and a Patreon

I got $20, how large a share will that get me of the team? :p

The Panthers aren't my team, but I do live in Charlotte...  I guess I can chip in $50.  Also, if we need graphics for our crowdfunding campaign, I have basic, but solid GIMP skills.  ;)

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The rule regarding fumbling a ball into the endzone and out of bounds has been the subject of much scrutiny, including from NFL officials, some of whom hate the rule too.  The problem is that there's no easy answer as to what you replace it with, else it would already have been replaced.  If you make it work like fumbles out of bounds work on any other part of the field, that's much too lenient, in my opinion.  The endzone is the most critical part of the field, all mistakes are magnified there (e.g. an offense committing a penalty while the ball is in their own endzone results in a safety).  However, I think the rule, as it stands, is much too harsh a penalty toward the offense.  We need something in the middle ground.  The best solution I can think of is to let the offense retain the ball* but spot the ball on the 20.  The down counts and the sticks remain where they were.  99.9% of the time, a fumble that will go into the endzone and then out of bounds will occur within the 5 yard line, so you're looking at losing at least 15 yards of field position, the equivalent of a personal foul penalty.  Most of the time, it will put the offense in a long distance down (e.g. 3rd and goal from the 20, 4th and 17, etc.) and will likely ultimately lead to a FG attempt.  Even if the play does result in a first down (it was at the end of a big yardage gain play where the 20 yard line is still enough to move the sticks) you're still losing a big chunk of yardage.

the holy roller changed the rules.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Falcons win, and the Packers' season is officially over! I'm a little relieved, because I really did not want to see Rodgers get hit any more next week one a one out of a million scenario. Plus, maybe our horrible DC will finally get fired after finally no longer being carried by Rodgers.

firefox_2017-12-18_22-44-23.png

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

hell of a way to end a season, dem crapboys

(e): rofl, kicking a FG on second down and MISSING it, even better.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Jimmy G for first ballot unanimous pick HoF.

Talk about an impact player. 

Only QB to have a passer rating >=100 against the Jaguars this season.

Seahawks fan here, but yeah, watching your kicker miss two in a row is painful. Been there, done that.  :facepalm:

Why did we ever let Steven Hauschka go? He was awesome; still is, I hear.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It was either him or Eddie Lacy. Your team's brass went with Eddie Lacy. :grin:

For posterity, I hereby predict my Jets to go 5-11 and despite George RR Martin's weekly angsty blogging, Christian Hackenberg won't start more than three games.

Yep. Good news is we'll have a top ten pick. Bad news is they'll spend it on a defensive back with a 75% chance of being a bust. Sigh. I wish my team wasn't so predictable.

I'm calling it

8-8 

and that's not just my wishful thinking because my wishful thinking has them at 0-15-1 but I'm expecting a bit of a sophomore slump from both Dak and Ray Rice Jr (for the games he gets to participate in).

With Ray Rice Jr back in play I up my prediction to 10-6

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Seahawks fan here, but yeah, watching your kicker miss two in a row is painful. Been there, done that.  :facepalm:

Why did we ever let Steven Hauschka go? He was awesome; still is, I hear.

Well, Falcons won anyways, but if they hadn't, Blair Walsh missing another game-winning FG would've been a pretty hilarious way to end the season, too.

I'm kinda sad the Rams got eliminated, they were a fun team to watch.  With my Boys not in the playoffs, I don't much care who wins, so long as it's not the Eagles.  From a pure greed standpoint, I stand to make better tips delivering pizzas the longer Carolina remain in the playoffs, so go Panthers, I guess.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Every game I cheered for the Chiefs to win after Rodgers broke his collarbone they unsanctimoniously lost. I started getting off the Chiefs bandwagon when it looked like the Chargers were going to steal the division from them, so of course they proceeded to beat the Chargers for the division...and I was just starting to think while watching the first half of the wildcard game, maybe, maybe they'll be able to reproduce magic like when they beat the Patriots at the start of the year. Whoops.