Some general political questions

Ben No.3

(My opinion)

1. Should, in a political discussion, the focus lie on the individual and his rights or society as a whole and its problems?

(Society primarily)

2. Does society need a high degree of hierarchy to properly function?

(No, not at all on a small scale. In big societies an absolute minimum)

3. Are people ultimately most divided by religion and/or culture, race, nationality or class?

(Class)

4. Do we need to protect our culture from others or can we perhaps even benefit from them?

(Benefit, mostly)

5. Is global warming an issue we should focus on?

(Yes, but mostly through reform of the industry not by forcing behavioural patterns on the customer)

6. Is social inequality an issue we should focus on?

(Yes)

7. Flat or progressive taxes?

(Progressive)

8. Big or small government?

(Big(ish))

9. "In our society today, the equality of genders, race and spiritual belief is not fully guaranteed" Do you agree with this statement, and should government intervene here?

(To some extent, I think we're getting there (towards the lack of equality) at the moment. We need to work against that)

10. Direct democracy?

(Yes)

11. "I respect all other opinions and belief systems, an they should be respected" do. you agree with this statement?

(No... Believe what you want but don't expect respect if you're in the KKK)

12. Regarding criminals, should we focus on rehabilitation or punishment?

(Rehab)

15. Are we to teach our countries history in a critical or positive light towards our children?

(Critical)

16. Should religious beliefs be taught in or affect our education system?

(No)

17. Should same sex couples be allowed to

a) marry?

b) adopt?

(Yes and yes)

18. Should abortion be legal (after x months)?

(Yes and always)

19. "Ultimately, workers unions are a benefit" do you agree with this statement?

(Yes)

20. "Nationalism can easily lead to fascism" do you agree with this statement?

(Amongst other things, but yes )

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

1. Should, in a political discussion, the focus lie on the individual and his rights or society as a whole and its problems? A political discussion should just go where it leads. But IMO protection of individual rights is the sole purpose of a society. There is no "collective" will. Everyone should be free and that freedom ends when the next persons begins.

Does society need a high degree of hierarchy to properly function? Yes, but it should be kept to a minimum

Are people ultimately most divided by religion and/or culture, race, nationality or class? Whatever... dumb question. People segregate themselves.  

Do we need to protect our culture from others or can we perhaps even benefit from them? Benefit. However when individual rights are suppressed in the name of "culture" (right to free worship for example) then it's defend time.

Is global warming an issue we should focus on? No. I find it remarkable that the average temperature variations on Mars closely parallels the Earth and yet no one wants to do anything about it. 

Is social inequality an issue we should focus on? No. A thousand times NO! I will allow the great Milton Freidman answer this one for me: "“A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.” 

Flat or progressive taxes? Flat. The burden of supporting a society should be borne by EVERYONE equally. And it should be kept to the smallest possible percentage.

Big or small government? Tiny

In our society today, the equality of genders, race and spiritual belief is not fully guaranteed" Do you agree with this statement, and should government intervene here? See may answer on #6. Stay out of everyone's business and this takes care of itself.

Direct democracy? No.

I respect all other opinions and belief systems, an they should be respected" do. you agree with this statement? Respected? I guess. I have no truck with anyone else's belief systems so long as they don't coerce me into it. Mostly we should just leave each other alone.

Regarding criminals, should we focus on rehabilitation or punishment? I would say no criminal punishments for "victimless crimes". No one should go to jail because they dried out a plant and smoked it. Hiring a hooker is between the customer and service provider. Business should not be a crime. When the crime has a real victim, punishment time.

Are we to teach our countries history in a critical or positive light towards our children? Teach history in a factual light. Leave your politics at the classroom door.

Should religious beliefs be taught in or affect our education system? Religion should be taught in school as an objective study of the beliefs and history. Churches, Synagogues, Temples, and Mosques already do a good job teaching the details, leave them to it.

Should same sex couples be allowed to There is no reason why two consenting adults cannot marry or adopt children (if they qualify to do so ) no matter what their gender/sexual/whatever. People should be free to live their lives in the way that works best for them.

Should abortion be legal (after x months)? Abortion should be legal. Personally I think it's repulsive but who am I to tell anyone what they can and can't do? Everyone has to make their own choices and live with them.

Ultimately, workers unions are a benefit" do you agree with this statement? I don't think Unions are much of a benefit in the modern world. Once they were no doubt. But if workers want to organize and freely associate, let them. But I am 100% AGAINST forcing anyone to join. I'm very much in favor of "right to work" protections.

"Nationalism can easily lead to fascism" do you agree with this statement? No. Nationalism and Fascism are not steps on a ladder.  

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

(My opinion)

1. Should, in a political discussion, the focus lie on the individual and his rights or society as a whole and its problems?

(Society primarily)

I'd say a small blanket of society rights and then much more focus on individual rights

(No)

It needs some, but not a lot

3. Are people ultimately most divided by religion and/or culture, race, nationality or class?

(Class)

Class

4. Do we need to protect our culture from others or can we perhaps even benefit from them?

(Benefit, mostly)

Both. In all things we should look at and pick and chose what to incorporate into our culture and what not to.

(Yes)

It is an issue, just more important ones are on the table that need to be addressed first

(Yes)

Yes IF it is taking place

(Progressive)

Flat

(Big(ish))

Small

9. "In our society today, the equality of genders, race and spiritual belief is not fully guaranteed" Do you agree with this statement, and should government intervene here?

(To some extent, I think we're getting there. We need to work against that)

I'm in the same boat. Broadly across the board I believe should be equal, but there is always situations where it should not.

10. Direct democracy?

(Yes)

Somewhat. We saw what happened with echo chambers

11. "I respect all other opinions and belief systems, an they should be respected" do. you agree with this statement?

(No)

I respect people's right to have an opinion/belief though I have the right to disagree. as long as there is respect to agree to disagree and move on, I'm for it. You enforce ur belief/opinion as more important than mine, that I do not tolerate.

(Rehab)

Both. Certain crimes should be punishment while others rehabilitation

15. Are we to teach our countries history in a critical or positive light towards our children?

(Critical)

Truthfully

(No)

No. Science belongs with science and religion belongs in the home if it is there

a) marry?

b) adopt?

(Yes and yes)

Yes and yes.

(Yes and always)

Depends. I think the way we have it set up right now as far as when it can be done and when not, is satisfactory to me. Of course I believe if the mothers immediate life is in danger, then abort whenever until it's born.

19. "Ultimately, workers unions are a benefit" do you agree with this statement?

(Yes)

They are when there's a problem. Once the problem is fixed, they need to go away otherwise they become the problem that they fixed.

(Amongst other things, but yes )

I believe any political/religious/nationalist/among many others belief strongly believed can lead to fascism if the rights of them are believed to supersede the rights of others when the situation is not granted by law.

Usually civility prevents fascism, something the world over needs to relearn.

Regarding question 20:

It's "can" not "will". Basically the question is wether it will increase the chance of fascism rising.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

(My opinion)

(Society as a whole.)

(Yes, 100%)

(People are divided by what they are taught. Monkey see, monkey do.)

(Benefit)

(I couldn't care less.)

(Yes)

(Flat)

(Big)

(To some extent, I think we're getting there (towards the lack of equality) at the moment. We need to work against that)

10. Direct democracy?

(Hell no)

(No)

(Depends on the crime)

(Critical)

(No)

a) marry?

b) adopt?

(Yes and yes)

(Yes with limits)

(No)

(Whatever)

Needs more communism.

You mean leftist fascism

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Needs more communism.

You mean leftist fascism

Fascism is inherently leftist. In fact everything is leftist except my specifc ideal because communists control the entire world.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Not even an option of a neo-feudalistic empire led by the ideals of Charlemagne? Pfffft.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I wouldn't call these forums polite.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Compared to the wasteland that is the rest of the internet, I'd call this place a virtual oasis of respectful dialogue.

Compared to deep fried cheesecake a milkshake is pretty healthy but I still wouldn't call it a healthy option. Unless we're talking about alternative diets.

Compared to the wasteland that is the rest of the internet, I'd call this place a virtual oasis of respectful dialogue.

Compared to deep fried cheesecake a milkshake is pretty healthy but I still wouldn't call it a healthy option. Unless we're talking about alternative diets.

Now I want a milkshake. You're right, this place is trouble.

• Like 1

No kidding. I despise all of you (except Amentep).

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm just going to have a few glasses of alternative water.

grub-burger-bar.jpg

As an aside that place has alcohol shakes which is pretty damn cool.

Steak n Shake is more likely to make me vomit. Burgers are nasty.

Canadian fast food chain variety sucks. But at least we have Harvey's

Edited by Malcador

I'm just going to have a few glasses of alternative water.

grub-burger-bar.jpg

As an aside that place has alcohol shakes which is pretty damn cool.

What kind of depraved mind thinks "I like milkshake, I also like crisps and pretzels. Let's combine them..."? And what's the mysterious brownish layer 2/3 of the way down- going by the crisps and pretzels it's probably caramelised onion, or anchovies.

The decadence of western civilisation summed up in one picture.

• Like 1

Now I want a lime sherbet shake mixed with green apple vodka with whip cream and couple cherrys on top

Mmm.... vodkaaa... *drool*

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken