(Out of party) Companion levels

One of the things that I found frustrating (In a way that does make sense) about pillars 1 was how far behind companions I seldom used fell behind in levels. From the fair point of view, of course they deserve to fall behind because I rarely use them. So for example if I left Kana out for a long period of time and my average party level is 13...lets say he's level 6. It sucks going to and inn and hiring a chanter that is at a more current level and totally miss out on the fun banter and interactions Kana would bring to the party instead of just a "Adventurer" I hired.

Assuming we get some sort of "home" for our out of party companions in pillars 2, I think it would be cool if the missions we send them on would give them a large amount of experience so they don't fall too far behind. Something like that or in pillars 1 there was the "training ground" that added a resting bonus...What if you could assign a limited amount out of party characters to the 'training grounds" that would keep them up to speed with the experience the party gains?

Roast it or toast it.

That's one of the issue i'm not sure how it's going to be resolved. If they make the companions to scale automatically to party levels the next time you pick them up when you are much higher level, it basically discourage the idea of replaying the game with different party companions. But is also a bummer, to those who actually do not want to replay the game simply because they want to experience as much content as possible in just 1 playthrough. Now i hate to bring this up, with 1 lesser party character you basically have to "park" aside one of the least signifcant companion and to take in the new one that you basically want to "explore" the companion story missions. By doing this, i think combat encounters will be much more difficult?  simply because you are swapping out one of the more higher level character with a much lower ones.

Some of the major Caed Nua quests actually make some characters be ahead of your main in Lvl XP.

But I don´t think they need to change that. I adds to replayability. You won´t get to make all companions usefull in one playthrough, I think that is the idea.

I agree there is (and should be) no way to keep ALL of your unused companions close to your average party level. I personally haven't seen a significant amount of XP from the Caed Nua quests but I have just started a new play through so I will fiddle with it a bit more this time around. I don't doubt major quests can give those characters a boost, I just haven't seen it yet.

I agree some companions falling behind does encourage replay value (which I am in favor of). I just don't like that I can go to any Inn and instantly make a character of any race and class that I can slap gear on and they are good to go but they're just totally a blank sheet of paper when it comes to dialog... rather then have a way to keep one or two "real" companions tethered to my current party experience.

I am cool with the loot brought back from those Caed Nua quests and if the quests were all about loot if I could keep those one - two unused companions lvls up to current. I think that would be cool, not to say I might change how I feel about that after getting a better look at these major Caed quests this time around.

You can always use the console to add exp to level. They should definitely keep that feature. 

Of course that turns off achievements, but if you're the type of competitive gamer who cares about showing off official achievements you're probably going to do multiple playthroughs anyway.