When starting a new playthrough, I like trying new strategies and classes. Differents classes fit different roles, but the one class I always end up playing is priest. I feel like this class has no substitute and you're kinda stuck with it if you want a balanced group.

What do you think ?

Priest's buffs are extremely useful. I don't leave Caed Nua without one! Seriously, they aren't really necessary if you're playing on easier difficulty levels or against trash mobs. But against tougher foes their buffs and "prayer against..." spells are a great help. But you can also get healing from other classes, and can rely on protection scrolls or Paladin abilities deal with the hostile effects from tougher foes.

No class is truly necessary, as long as you compensate in another way. Combat is a balance of your defenses vs. the enemy's accuracy, and vice versa. If you can't buff one, debuff the other. There are a million debuffs a wizard, druid or cipher can inflict on a group of enemies. Also there are scrolls that hard-counter certain afflictions, and of course the cheap +defense scroll. A priest just makes it a bit easier.

Edited by the streaker

Priest is not necessary, also not on PotD. But he surely makes things easier because he has the best accuracy buffs in the game. Debuffing is good, but it's even better if you can buff your entire party with +30 stackable accuracy (Inspiring Radiance + Devotions of the Faithful) before trying to debuff the enemy.

But it's not necessary.

Some fights against enemies with really good defenses might be noticeably tougher without that stackable ACC boost, but they always are doable without a priest.

Most things a priest does can be substituted with scrolls, but those +30 ACC can not. And also no immunity against stun and prone, but that's minor.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Don't know, never used one...

Seriously you don't need a priest. Makes a handful of fights easier - out of many, many encounters. I would however, take a priest or paladin. The healing can be useful.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

While priest's buffs and damage potential are extremely useful; he is not a necessary addition to your party.

You can substitute a priest, depending on his niche in your party, by wizard, druid, cipher, chanter or paladin.

You might need a priest vs enemies than cause petrify/ fear/ paralyze, ... priests have great protective spells /prayers against... things/ This is their main use in my view. It is kind of hard to manage the final fight with no priest. Surely, it is possible to make due without one as well.

Playing without a Priest is usually more challenging, but you can get by just fine. I'm currently in the middle of a PoTD run with no Priest and I've found it to be a refreshing change of pace and only moderately challenging. My advice for a no-Priest party is to bring along a Paladin and any two of Druid, Wizard, and Cipher. The Paladin has decent healing and a lot of amazing support abilities including some that can help you deal with afflictions (Liberating Exhortation and Aegis of Loyalty). As casters the Druid, Wizard, and Cipher have many tools at their disposal, but in particular they are valuable for their strong CC that will make tough battles far more manageable.

Edited by HoopleDoople