Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

basic ranged cipher build ?

Cipher build

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Aginorh

Aginorh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

Actually the final encounter in Eothas temple was quite tough, even if doable.

At this party level (nearly 4, but cipher is 4 already), the barb tank did not much damage (1500 till now), Paladin 2400 dmg but rather squishy, Druid 3500 dmg (hits hard but also squishy), and Cipher 5500.

Barb does tank ok but does not keep agro (no skill) and he has few possibilities to interrupt etc.

I will try Maxquest formula :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10282 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Nobody keeps aggro very well - except squishies. ;)

Enemies will always target squishies if they can and eat disengagement attacks to reach them. No amount of engagement slots will change that very much. 

Binding rope on a front liner is cool because it stucks enemies who already hit you. Perfect for a barb with HoF if the enemies can't get away from you.

The barb will not be a great damage dealer until lvl 11 when he gets Heart of Fury. Then he will be at the top of the list after few fights. ;) Until then, his main focus should be debuffing enemies with fear and daze and other stuff. Also helps your party members to stay alive, not only the barb. 

Edited by Boeroer, 11 February 2017 - 05:08 AM.

Aginorh

Aginorh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

Nobody keeps aggro very well - except squishies. ;)

Enemies will always target squishies if they can and eat disengagement attacks to reach them. No amount of engagement slots will change that very much. 

Binding rope on a front liner is cool because it stucks enemies who already hit you. Perfect for a barb with HoF if the enemies can't get away from you.

The barb will not be a great damage dealer until lvl 11 when he gets Heart of Fury. Then he will be at the top of the list after few fights. ;) Until then, his main focus should be debuffing enemies with fear and daze and other stuff. Also helps your party members to stay alive, not only the barb. 

Yes indeed ! Now I really block the way to my cipher believe me ;-)

Thing is the barb is also very slow.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10282 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, he has the lowest DEX I presume. DEX doesn't matter for Heart of Fury at all - but for all other attacks low DEX it's a hinderance. Thing is: with a barb tank who also should be able to deal massive damage via HoF later on you can't dump anything else than DEX (besides CON). You need high MIG for the damage and healing, you need high INT for the radius and the durations, you need high PER in order to hit as good as possible, you need high RES to get good deflection right from the start and to prevent interrupts.

Forget interrupts - he's indeed too slow for that.

If you get We Toki (prone) or Cladhaliath (stunning) or Godansthunyr (stunning) you could test if you like that even better than Bittercut or sabres in general. They don't do as much damage but they can help a lot with crowd control. Prone or stunned enemies can't run past you.

Edited by Boeroer, 11 February 2017 - 05:57 AM.

Ymiraku

Ymiraku

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Combusting wounds is a little gem of a spell, ive heard alot of people say that its useless but its totally not. For example with wizard with maxed out blast and high intel, hit alacrity, minor blights, then cast combusting wounds on the mob cluster and they attack them with kalakoths, its actually silly OP.

Good with barbs too tho.

• Aginorh likes this

Aginorh

Aginorh

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 30 posts

Combusting wounds is a little gem of a spell, ive heard alot of people say that its useless but its totally not. For example with wizard with maxed out blast and high intel, hit alacrity, minor blights, then cast combusting wounds on the mob cluster and they attack them with kalakoths, its actually silly OP.

Good with barbs too tho.

Yes sounds great but my party has no wizard :(

Otherwise I tested raedric's keep with "MaxQuest formula" and it's a lot easier

1. dual wield DPS Barb really wipes clean the trash and keeps high HPs (with regen of course, gaun's share flail and +50% heal)

2. tank paladin is barely hit and can save the squishies with lay on hands while engaging 2 ppl

3. Cipher kills a lot, charms paralyses, even if a bit slower with breastplate, dies less ;-)

4. Druid does real punishing dmg in bear form, and also got heavy armor to counter his low HPs

Cipher and Druid are slower with heavy armor but they are much less chased. In a big opened area it's really easier, and at the contrary of a shock point 2 ppl wide, the Druid can hit for real. He could of course use a weapon with reach but I did not find a good one yet, and it won't work in bear form.

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1876 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Glad you liked it)

It's a matter of preference:
- fix character survivability weakness
- or maximize his power, and look for a survivability solution elsewhere.

Personally for me... works best maximizing character's points forte, while making other team members compensate for their weaknesses. That's the reason I was advocating dw early.
I once started with a frontline consisting of tank pal (1h+shield), tank barb (1h+shield) and cipher (1h+shield). But already by level 4 I have switched barb and cipher both to sabre-dw and was just solving all my survivability problems or inequality in health drop via crow-control means.

In your case cipher is ranged, through.
Btw, since he is in breastplate now; you can try to give him arquebus (or even blunderbuss) for awhile (mostly for early, early-mid game, until you get gauntlets of swift action and are ok with lighter armor).
That's because reloading weapons dps doesn't suffer that much from armor penalties. And also because casting of Eyestrike, Whispers of Treason and Mental Binding specifically, is not as much hindered by heavier armor like regular fast/average spells.

the Druid can hit for real. He could of course use a weapon with reach but I did not find a good one yet, and it won't work in bear form.

You can give him Durance's staff. Also... I understand that you took the bear form because of the extra 2 DR which is great early. But if you will respec in the mid/late game, you can also give Cat Form a try, because it attacks x1.5 faster, and iirc they both hit for the same damage (correct me if wrong) so the dps will also get x1.5 higher. (plus there is also Cat's Flurry)

Btw, from lvl 9 onward, you might want to try Embrace the Earth-Talon for the benefits it gives to both your barb and cipher. Barb's burst will get doubled because of petrify bonus, and so will cipher's focus gain.

Edited by MaxQuest, 12 February 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• Aginorh likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cipher, build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users