Berath Blessing - online only?

So if I get this right I need achievements to unlock these blessings. Achievements on either Steam or GOG, right?

So basically, if I don't install another third-party-tool and if I'm not connected to the net while playing I don't get any achievements. Gotta say this is really disappointing. To get locked out of content this way when I am not playing an online game. :down:

I also don't like it. PoE is not Dark Souls or Faster than Light. To keep some items would be ok for me, but especially the part where you get more attribute points repelled me.

MY thoughts exactly. As I was reading the update I was like WTF?!

Boosting points by making challenging to unlock more different things and such... I am 100% sure I will skip that weird thing 

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

This is such a classic official forums response to a perfectly reasonable feature.

First we have a guy assuming it's going to be online-only, despite the game explicitly having a DRM-free version, which means nothing can be "online only".

Then after the reasonable people pointing out that this (obviously) need not be the case, we have people actively hoping for the Fig to not make money, so they don't have tolerate the presence of an ENTIRELY OPTIONAL feature. I mean good god people, get a grip.#

Just because this is in the game, DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT mean you have to use it. It is optional, and likely there will be a lot of different options, probably some of which you will actually like. I think it's nice that they're giving boost options, because some people will really enjoy that, but you are never going to have to take them, so why get upset?

It's like going to the icecream parlour then throwing a fit or wishing to the employees that they go broke, because as well as having icecream, they have optional sprinkles to put on icecream.

• Like 16

I think it's a very good feature to have. I really like the idea to start with a specific weapon, a boost of stats or even some penalties if I want to test my skills.

Also, most of all, I like the idea of recruiting companions faster in my new games+, that is absolutely GREAT!

I wish this feature already existed in PoE1, because it's painful to wait 10 hours before meeting the Devil of Caroc again! :getlost:

• Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

I dont care for this goal but its just not for me because i dont care about achievements. If this is low hanging fruit for them and users are into achievements then i dont see the issue. The online thing is assumed because achievements are site based things so you have to be on gog galaxy or steam client and online to get them. So for instance i am on steam but play offline and i get no achievements. In fact steam shows i havent completed the game but i have multiple times but the achievement is still grey. I just dont like playing online with the steam client

Edited by jnb0364

I don't get the repulsion. The system will include ways to make the game harder, and as described, its just a more granular difficulty slider that you unlock by playing the game.

Don't like playing the tutorial? You'll probably be able to skip it.

Tired of making fill-ins at the first available tavern until you meet the companions? You get the option to start with them.

Conceptually, this is no different from choosing your difficulty at the beginning of the game, and it has been something that a lot of people have been asking for for a long time (mind that I'm not part of that crowd).

This is much closer to the grade shop of the 'Tales of' games than the new game plus modes from recent titles.

Edited by Doppelschwert
  • Like 5

Erm - I just stated my opinion in a rather unemotional way and hope others do, too. It's a way for OBS to see if things they made up are getting positive or negative feedback. I never said they shouldn't do it, just that I don't like the idea (especially as a stretch goal). This may even change if they specify their ideas for Berath's Blessing. But what I heard so far doesn't appeal to me. Nobody has to agree to that. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overly antagonistic lately, that's not my intention. I think it's good that people are voicing their opinion, and this was not directed towards you in particular - I just took the word repulsion from your post to identify the general rejecting that this thread has to offer and wanted to put things into perspective.

I think you would enjoy more difficulty options for testing the various builds you'll come up with.

• Like 1

This is such a classic official forums response to a perfectly reasonable feature.

First we have a guy assuming it's going to be online-only, despite the game explicitly having a DRM-free version, which means nothing can be "online only".

Then after the reasonable people pointing out that this (obviously) need not be the case, we have people actively hoping for the Fig to not make money, so they don't have tolerate the presence of an ENTIRELY OPTIONAL feature. I mean good god people, get a grip.#

Just because this is in the game, DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT mean you have to use it. It is optional, and likely there will be a lot of different options, probably some of which you will actually like. I think it's nice that they're giving boost options, because some people will really enjoy that, but you are never going to have to take them, so why get upset?

It's like going to the icecream parlour then throwing a fit or wishing to the employees that they go broke, because as well as having icecream, they have optional sprinkles to put on icecream.

I read the entire post again and haven't noticed any drama. Seems to me, you are more upset about people stating their opinions. 

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overly antagonistic lately, that's not my intention. I think it's good that people are voicing their opinion, and this was not directed towards you in particular - I just took the word repulsion from your post to identify the general rejecting that this thread has to offer and wanted to put things into perspective.

I think you would enjoy more difficulty options for testing the various builds you'll come up with.

No problem. My reply was targeted at the post with the really fat letters. ;)

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It would probably be totally optional.

I like idea of having some extra xp at start, so i can get faster to point where classes come to shape.

If there will be more options, including making game harder that is even better, will be profit for some, and others will just ignore.

The online thing is assumed because achievements are site based things so you have to be on gog galaxy or steam client and online to get them.

Not necessarily. There are games that do their own "achievement" system, completely independent from any online service. It's just that using Steam/Galaxy to do that for you, is easier. All that an achievement does is at a predetermined point in the game, it turns a 0 into a 1 and displays an uplifting "You go, chap!" message. You don't need the internet for that.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

The online thing is assumed because achievements are site based things so you have to be on gog galaxy or steam client and online to get them.

Not necessarily. There are games that do their own "achievement" system, completely independent from any online service. It's just that using Steam/Galaxy to do that for you, is easier. All that an achievement does is at a predetermined point in the game, it turns a 0 into a 1 and displays an uplifting "You go, chap!" message. You don't need the internet for that.

ye that would be better. 

Edited by jnb0364

No, it's not. It would be perfectly reasonable to give these options to all players right from the start. Just give people some "expert settings" for an individual experience, if they want so. Most people want their first playthrough to be the best (and many people don't have more time than for one) so why not giving everybdoy more options? There is absolutely no need to make these things dependent on superficial "achievements" and to only make this stuff available for a second or third or whatever playthrough.

If anything this update punishes people who don't go for achievements and who don't want to be forced to do certain stuff in their games. And it punishes people for playing the game not long and good enough because that's what this strange NG+ mode is actually all about. It's a "reward" system for the best among us who want to play this games for hundreds or thousands of hours, but not for everybody and certainly not for the majority.

If there ever was a stretch goal that was only made for a small fraction of "elite" players and that could be classified as pure fan service it's this one.

So I don't have anything against these options and it's not an "offical forum response". I just have a big issue with hiding theses options behind superficial achievements.

35167v4.jpg

No, it's not. It would be perfectly reasonable to give these options to all players right from the start.

No, it wouldn't be reasonable at all, because:

- How can you choose to start with your favorite weapon if you've never played the game at least once (or a good part of it?).

- You want to meet your companions in their supposed place the first time around. Recruiting them from the start is only a luxury option for the following playthroughs in order to avoid hours and hours of gametime before meeting them (examples from PoE1: Pallegina, GM, the WM companions).

- Skipping parts of the game (Dungeon-be-gone in BG2) makes no sense if you don't even know what to skip.

- The only reasonable bonus to give from the get-go would be extra stats or extra coins, but I believe the Story Mode difficulty should cover that.

I don't understand why you are crusading against an optional feature that will help a lot of players. I see that you will play ONE TIME ONLY(!) through the game, but you should realize that this is a strange behaviour for this genre, because RPGs in general tend to be played more than once, in order to experience different class combinations, companions, quests and choices during the adventure. Especially in PoE2, where we'll get to "meaningfully" side with different factions, playing only one time means losing a lot of the experience.

• Like 7

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

No, it's not. It would be perfectly reasonable to give these options to all players right from the start. Just give people some "expert settings" for an individual experience, if they want so. Most people want their first playthrough to be the best (and many people don't have more time than for one) so why not giving everybdoy more options? There is absolutely no need to make these things dependent on superficial "achievements" and to only make this stuff available for a second or third or whatever playthrough.

If anything this update punishes people who don't go for achievements and who don't want to be forced to do certain stuff in their games. And it punishes people for playing the game not long and good enough because that's what this strange NG+ mode is actually all about. It's a "reward" system for the best among us who want to play this games for hundreds or thousands of hours, but not for everybody and certainly not for the majority.

If there ever was a stretch goal that was only made for a small fraction of "elite" players and that could be classified as pure fan service it's this one.

So I don't have anything against these options and it's not an "offical forum response". I just have a big issue with hiding theses options behind superficial achievements.

I don't you don't get it, but you are totally proving my point here with language like "punishes" and completely wild and bananas assumptions about "a reward system for people who play for hundreds of hours". It's just not a rational or reasonable approach to the issue. Most likely many/most of the achievements will be very, very easy to get. Many you will probably get just finishing the game the first time.

And not having access to a bonus is not the same as "being punished", I mean good god. As for "people who do don't want to be forced to do certain stuff", not only is that an assumption, but by that logic I should be complaining about every magic item or stat boost that is locked behind content I don't want to do - I mean, I always end up gunning down the Doemenels, those prats, so by your logic, my not getting access to their shop/quests etc. is me being "punished" because I don't want to be forced to do certain stuff (i.e. be friends with those wankers).

It's all part of the rich tapestry of gaming, frankly, and I'm fine with whatever I don't get being locked away unless it's completely stupid, but this being Obsidian, not, say, Bethesda, I trust them not to be stupid.

As for why not have it all unlocked the first time, there are actually good reasons - you are unlikely to have a good idea of what you would want on, and what will be fun to use and what not, especially as some of it may be spoilers, and you lose the bonus incentive to achieve stuff. I am really surprised, from some of your other posts, that you think everyone should be able to start their first game skipping content, with bonus magic items, bonus stats, and so on.

Edited by Eurhetemec
  • Like 3

- How can you choose to start with your favorite weapon if you've never played the game at least once (or a good part of it?).

I doubt that will ever be the case anyway. But if they do I have nothing against keeping your favorite weapon for another playthrough if you want to destroy your balance on purpose.

- You want to meet your companions in their supposed place the first time around. Recruiting them from the start is only a luxury option for the following playthroughs in order to avoid hours and hours of gametime before meeting them (examples from PoE1: Pallegina, GM, the WM companions).

Still no need to hide that behind achievements. Nobody is forced to use expert settings. Giving players options is still always better than establishing superficial blocks, even if it's a stupid feature like this one.

- Skipping parts of the game (Dungeon-be-gone in BG2) makes no sense if you don't even know what to skip.

Nobody said you could strip certain parts of the game. I think it's highly unlikely and it actually makes no sense at all.

- The only reasonable bonus to give from the get-go would be extra stats or extra coins, but I believe the Story Mode difficulty should cover that.

Actually the stretch goal mode is all about certain bonuses.

I don't understand why you are crusading against an optional feature that will help a lot of players.

I don't "crusade" against it in any way. I just don't like the way it will be implemented, locked behind certain achievements.

I see that you will play ONE TIME ONLY(!) through the game, but you should realize that this is a strange behaviour for this genre, because RPGs in general tend to be played more than once, in order to experience different class combinations, companions, quests and choices during the adventure. Especially in PoE2, where we'll get to "meaningfully" side with different factions, playing only one time means losing a lot of the experience.

Ahem, no. The completion rate of PoE on Steam by the way is less than 10%, just saying. People who play games like PoE multiple times are in the far minority. You hardcore guys must really leave your bubble from time to time. Almost nobody has the time and will to play a long RPG more than once, most people don't even finish it once. Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

It's just not a rational or reasonable approach to the issue. Most likely many/most of the achievements will be very, very easy to get. Many you will probably get just finishing the game the first time.

Most of us won't finish the game even once. And a lot of those tho will won't ever start another playthrough. I know many people here don't believe that but that's the reality. Just have a look at the Steam statistics if you don't believe me...

And not having access to something is not the same as "being punished", I mean good god. As for "people who do don't want to be forced to do certain stuff", not only is that an assumption, but by that logic I should be complaining about every magic item or stat boost that is locked behind content I don't want to do - I mean, I always end up gunning down the Doemenels, those ****, so by your logic, my not getting access to their shop/quests etc. is me being "punished" because I don't want to be forced to do certain stuff (i.e. be friends with those ****).

You really don't get the difference between choice&consequence within a single playthrough and certain stuff that is only available for a different playthrough if I make certain things in the first one?

Apples and oranges, mate.

It's all part of the rich tapestry of gaming, frankly, and I'm fine with whatever I don't get being locked away unless it's completely stupid, but this being Obsidian, not, say, Bethesda, I trust them not to be stupid.

Well, I don't. Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

I read the entire post again and haven't noticed any drama. Seems to me, you are more upset about people stating their opinions.

To be fair, limaxophobiacq did say that this stretch goal was "kind of making me wish they somehow don't hit 2.6 million." Maybe not drama per se, but a pretty extreme view to take on the matter.

Anyway, if this does get backed (very likely) then I expect Obsidian will make sure it's available without being logged into Steam or GoG's Steam equivalent. You have to be logged into Steam to get Steam Achievements for a game, but there's nothing stopping the game also tracking achievements internally (as someone else suggested).

• Like 1