Back update #8 -- a little clarification

copied from the update:

Players will even have the option to start the game with some of their favorite things acquired during a previous journey – starting with a favorite companion or Soulbound weapon from an earlier playthrough

Starting with a favorite companion--- does this mean one of the little pets you got, or getting to stat the game with a Kana, Sagani, etc.....

apologies if this didn't confuse anyone else, but obviously this changes matters significantly....

also-- love the idea here!

great update

Interesting. I assume it means you can choose to begin with Aloth, Edér or Pallegina. It would be cool if I could bring along one of the other companions, but I suspect it doesn't since either that forces Obsidian to write a bunch of dialogue most players won't see, or it means those companions will be largely mute, making them little different from a custom companion.

Also, since some of the companions from PoE are, apparently, going to appear as cameos it also means Obsidian will have to make sure to remove them if you choose to start with them, further complicating matters.

I'm interested to know how soulbound items will be imported. It sounds like there are going to be changes to various mechanics in Deadfire so presumably the soulbound items will have to be changed to reflect these. This suggests that each one will have an entry in the game files allowing unscrupulous players (completely unlike myself) to console them all in  :biggrin:

I'm confused. When I first read it I thought they meant achievements gained in PoE1. Upon rereading it seems like it's achievements in PoE2. If it's PoE1 I imagine it's things like Adventure Hall companions. If not, it'll probably just let you story-break some companions. 

I'm cool with either, just confused. 

Pretty sure it means someone like Eder, Aloth, etc. as they don't tend to mess up terminology like that.

Normally you'd have to go round them up, and some of them might be quite "deep" in the game, so this would let you just have them with you. It would require extra dialogue, but not a whole lot - they'd just be kind of un-reactive until you got nearer where they would appear and you might lose a "get the companion" quest (which wouldn't matter as much on a second play-through).