I hope there is an idle animation where rangers pet their pet.

OMG, I would love that!

My favorite class is the ranger just for the animal companion. I've been asking for more ranger/animal companion bonding from day one. This would just make my game.

Edited by Faerunner
  • Like 2

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Now we'll have 3 ranger subclasses. I guess one of them is focusing on the animal companion. Maybe we'll even get a ranger who has (temporarily) more than one pet? You know, he makes some weird bird chimes and suddenly 5 wolves come out of nowhere and attack your foes or stuff like that. Summons basically...

Flying wolves actually because... bird chimes.  :facepalm:

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Maybe we'll even get a ranger who has (temporarily) more than one pet?

I could muster some interest in a swarm ranger and the swarm could fit the bill by hatching larvae from the corpses of your enemies. I'm not sure Eder would enjoy petting them, though.

• Like 1

Would that be a pack of hamsters? Or what's the correct term? ;)

I just looked it up and oh my god it's awesome!  The correct term for a group of hamsters is a horde!  That's right, officially they form hordes!

Boo:  For the Horde!

bb99564286c730b6533a86e34915a339.jpg

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 9

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

One way to go with it is lower damage output in exchange for attacks causing targets to suffer afflictions/penalties. Alternatively, it could be more about mobility/versatility - the druid might be able to split themselves up into separate collectives as they advance, for example. I'm not really sure that a swarm of flies/horde of hamsters/murder of crows/whatever else casting spells makes any sense, so maybe that should the tradeoff.

Edit: Actually, I thought of Many-as-One just after I posted that. I say leave spells in so that we too can play the part of a supernatural hivemind.

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1

Would be cool if the swarm would be immune to pierce/crush/slash damage and did damage just by touching enemies. Like a moving harzard field that Dragon Thrashed is. But smaller of course. Basically like a walking AoE DoT spell. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

I would enjoy it more if Eder becomes a gunpowder fighter. He just realized that guns are much better than old-fashioned swords or maces. So he just goes around and shoots people in the head. Using heavy armor of course to counter puny xaurip attacks - i.e. they try to pierce him with a pathetic spear but graze and then he shoots them [in the head as I said], ... So, do you like the idea?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I never made a custom ranger, so I'm not familiar with the different types of pets and what their strengths are.

If I'm planning to make Eder a Fighter/Ranger and still want him to be able to tank, which pet would be the best fit?

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.