crazy ideas you like to have (but most likely not get)

Forgot to add --- I'd like to see..err...hear more ambiance sounds. For example, while walking around the village of Gilded Vale, you don't hear any village chatter or random NPC sounds (like they had in Baldur's Gate). It's simply music and the sound of your party's footsteps. I can SEE that I'm in a village but I would like Hear that I'm in a village as well.

Having just recently played the new Torment game I second this, it had great sound design which really added to the ambiance, especially in Sagus Cliffs. So much so that the sudden absence of ambient sound (when you stepped into the grove place in the government district) was immediately noticeable and effective.

A spell effect / combat residue fog lingering after using spells (like the overuse of fireworks on new years eve). Might be nice to have some "lingering mayhem".

Also some redundant chat options would be nice. Like how come i can ask a lot of people who they are but not how they are.. always felt a bit strange to me. Also stuff like some "innocent" flirting at a the local brothel without any consequences is something .. you know .. conversations to discover.

traditional is three wishes, yes?  will keep brief.

1) convert to a turn-based and classless system... which is actual two wishes.  guess we suck at this. 

2) implement a universal health/fatigue mechanic.

every combat action depletes fatigue, including spell casting.  get hurt in combat also increases fatigue.  no more dumping constitution as fatigue becomes important for every character.

3) have villain be variable.  

imagine if early game decisions and responses could result in one of three villains becoming the UBG (ultimate bad guy) for your game.  with a necessarily vague protagonist, is the npc stories which inevitably drive the game, and the ubg is a significant npc. option 1) a watchmen villain, but better.  ozymandias still wants to be the hero, and the imagined alien blob threat sucked. make a real but remote threat-- frequent mention in game, but only as an aside.  villain is a prophet and one o' the few folks who foresee the real threat on the horizon, so he becomes a villain hoping to create a hero who can unify various factions/nations. 2) heroic villain genuine trying to fix an unfixable problem through increasing terrible means. 3) rope-a-dope villain-- spend most o' game chasing a moral ambiguous villain and dismantling her infrastructure only to find out you has been actual making the Big Reveal possible.  or whatever.  make each villain visual distinct with unique motivations.

developers spend too much effort on necessarily limited choice and consequences.  am not 'gainst choice and consequences, but in a story-driven game there is gonna be limits... unless such choices is made at very start or very end o' the game.  developers frequent make use o' conclusion of game choices to provide multiple endings.  is easy to offer multiple endings 'cause is end o' game and need not follow the individual bifurcations. converse, we suggest make a pivotal and profound trifurcation immediate at start o' game.  end up with some serious replayability, eh? 

we could come up with dozens, but three (ok, four,) is good enough for impossible stuff only relevant to an imaginary future game.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and our turn-based mini-game for naval combats notion

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91244-about-sea-explorationnaval-combat/?p=1876410

also impossibleI

Love all of it! except classless system.  Thats why I love PoE.  I dont like the Elder Scrolls just do whatever you want.  Having a chosen discipline is huge. I was a Forward Observer in the military and was very GOOD at spotting targets, Fire Missions, firing my rifle and and navigation as I was always reading maps.  But I wasnt a very good at fixing tactical vehicles because I wasnt a mechanic.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

traditional is three wishes, yes? will keep brief.

1) convert to a turn-based and classless system... which is actual two wishes. guess we suck at this.

2) implement a universal health/fatigue mechanic.

every combat action depletes fatigue, including spell casting. get hurt in combat also increases fatigue. no more dumping constitution as fatigue becomes important for every character.

3) have villain be variable.

imagine if early game decisions and responses could result in one of three villains becoming the UBG (ultimate bad guy) for your game. with a necessarily vague protagonist, is the npc stories which inevitably drive the game, and the ubg is a significant npc. option 1) a watchmen villain, but better. ozymandias still wants to be the hero, and the imagined alien blob threat sucked. make a real but remote threat-- frequent mention in game, but only as an aside. villain is a prophet and one o' the few folks who foresee the real threat on the horizon, so he becomes a villain hoping to create a hero who can unify various factions/nations. 2) heroic villain genuine trying to fix an unfixable problem through increasing terrible means. 3) rope-a-dope villain-- spend most o' game chasing a moral ambiguous villain and dismantling her infrastructure only to find out you has been actual making the Big Reveal possible. or whatever. make each villain visual distinct with unique motivations.

developers spend too much effort on necessarily limited choice and consequences. am not 'gainst choice and consequences, but in a story-driven game there is gonna be limits... unless such choices is made at very start or very end o' the game. developers frequent make use o' conclusion of game choices to provide multiple endings. is easy to offer multiple endings 'cause is end o' game and need not follow the individual bifurcations. converse, we suggest make a pivotal and profound trifurcation immediate at start o' game. end up with some serious replayability, eh?

we could come up with dozens, but three (ok, four,) is good enough for impossible stuff only relevant to an imaginary future game.

HA! Good Fun!

ps and our turn-based mini-game for naval combats notion

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91244-about-sea-explorationnaval-combat/?p=1876410

also impossibleI

Love all of it! except classless system. Thats why I love PoE. I dont like the Elder Scrolls just do whatever you want. Having a chosen discipline is huge. I was a Forward Observer in the military and was very GOOD at spotting targets, Fire Missions, firing my rifle and and navigation as I was always reading maps. But I wasnt a very good at fixing tactical vehicles because I wasnt a mechanic.

Yeah the classless suggestion would ruin this game... Not to say it doesnt work great in other games but this being a throwback to IE games.. having Classes was a huge part of what made those games so awesome and memorable.

• Like 1

A "New Game+" option that makes a solo play experience more tolerable. Such as making you unable to take companions, but also gives you immunity to hard CC's like paralyze and petrify. They can still be detrimental in some way, just not a hard CC making you dead the instant a 10 sec petrify lands.

• Like 1

A "New Game+" option that makes a solo play experience more tolerable. Such as making you unable to take companions, but also gives you immunity to hard CC's like paralyze and petrify. They can still be detrimental in some way, just not a hard CC making you dead the instant a 10 sec petrify lands.

It seems like that'd be easy enough to implement: just have the starting character be able to buy a "Ring of Solitude" that provides such immunities, but it only works when traveling without companions.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'd like less text and reading.

That's pretty radical I know, but I felt PoE suffered from Telling not Showing and Wall of Text.

You have an interactive medium and I think you should play to its strengths. It's not a book.

I'd also like to see the build I wanted for PoE finally be viable, which is a fast attacking stunlocker or debuffer. My rogue felt pretty weak.

Finally less focus on balance would be great.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd also like to see the build I wanted for PoE finally be viable, which is a fast attacking stunlocker or debuffer. My rogue felt pretty weak.

Finally less focus on balance would be great.

Have you ever tried a barbarian along those lines? I found mine to be a decent character.

Well... there's already the Bareth's Blessing New Game+. That might cover it.

C'mon guys, these ideas are too vanilla. The titles says CRAZY ideas that you will most likely NOT get.

I'd like less text and reading.

That's pretty radical I know, but I felt PoE suffered from Telling not Showing and Wall of Text.

You have an interactive medium and I think you should play to its strengths. It's not a book.

... that is pretty radical :)

I personally enjoy text-heavy RPGs. My personal fear is that a focus on "Show, don't tell" basically leads to Mass Effect. I know, I know, the whole thing is not that black and white, and I'm all for using the medium to its capacity. I do feel that Pillars 1 did well in this regard, however, and struck exactly the right balance for me. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Back to the crazy ideas: Make every soul reading a mini-dungeon where you wander through the person's soul. Depending on the person, scenery could range from happy sunlit forests with fluffy bunnies to non-euclidean torture chambers à la "The Cell". Sometimes at the same time.

• Like 2

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

I'd like there to be a quest to find a Priest of Eothas or a settlement guided by a Priest of Eothas in which whoever you talk to would tell you to speak to the "Priest" instead. When we find the Priest we will be SHOCKED to learn that he's in fact Durance, who sought out Eothas before us and got forgiven somehow and now he no more has pox scars and has white hair & long white beard and is now called [to]Lerance  :p

• Like 4

I would love to play a RPG someday where the whole plot and parts of the world you explore are radically different depending on the choices you make in the game. I know that is so impractical it would never happen, at least not with any production values, but I think that would be amazing.

• Like 2

A group of spoiled wealthy locals at the city docks want to hire out your ship for a fishing expedition. Once under way they complain incessantly about the mediocre conditions; lousy cabins, filthy hammocks, poor food, rats, a leaky deck, and so forth. Eventually, the ship is attacked by a giant sea serpent and all the tourists are consumed because the beast is attracted to their ugly vacation clothing. Your hired crew gives the serpent a big round of applause as it sails away into the sunset. Once you get back, the local government seizes your ship while investigating the attack. The angry families of the dead tourists hire assassins for revenge killings. :p

• Like 2

A group of spoiled wealthy locals at the city docks want to hire out your ship for a fishing expedition. Once under way they complain incessantly about the mediocre conditions; lousy cabins, filthy hammocks, poor food, rats, a leaky deck, and so forth. Eventually, the ship is attacked by a giant sea serpent and all the tourists are consumed because the beast is attracted to their ugly vacation clothing. Your hired crew gives the serpent a big round of applause as it sails away into the sunset. Once you get back, the local government seizes your ship while investigating the attack. The angry families of the dead tourists hire assassins for revenge killings. :p

Then you torture assassins until they point to the right people then you sue those because killing is not enough…

Pillars of Bugothas

More writing love in dialogue for characters with unusual personalities like insane, evil, greedy, naive and religious. I mean not just for roleplaying experience and immersion, but also not getting shoehorned into certain dispositions (not everything needs to make sense).

Like bursting into spontainious laughter, doing a sudden "let us pray" speech or just simply going for a "gimmeallyourmoney" when meeting a quest giver would be a bit more fun on occasion.

Edited by Duskshift
  • Like 1

Convert all racial attribute modifiers into specific combat modifiers. For example, an Orlan could get +3 Will, -3 Fort, +3 Accuracy, +2 Deflection. The attribute ranges could still be modified based on the original attribute modifiers, so you could still build an Orlan with a 20 Perception.

A mysterious submarine... grown from the back of an ancient sea creature, and powered by glowing adra. What is it for, I wonder? Does it have some malicious intent?

Then you torture assassins until they point to the right people then you sue those because killing is not enough…

No no no, that misses the whole point about world being unjust and unfair. Better that the assassins torture you and your crew, and you'll be barely able to escape, with the assassins already having sunk your ship, sold all your gear and killed your puppy. Nothing beats a revenge fantasy that gets turned into a farce ^^

Edited by Ninjamestari
  • Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

• You encounter a soul thief--a creature that is able to swap her soul for yours--and she puts you in her body. Your party doesn't believe who you claim to be, at least not initially, and you are left to fend for yourself bereft of most of your powers in a feeble body.

A sea cave dungeon that floods during each high tide, leaving you unable to rest. It is inhabited by amphibious denizens that work for a slaver company. They keep their prisoners in the high ground area at back, which doesn't get flooded.

A mysterious island that only appears at night, when it is periodically visited by a ghost ship. Rumor has it that if you stay too long, you'll never be able to leave.

A peculiar fellow who claims to be investigating Watchers. He has some agents in Dyrwood that have been following your progress, and he occasionally scrys on you with the aid of a magic tea pot. In his back room he has a collection of perfectly preserved corpses of prior Watchers. He is secretly looking for a means to become a Watcher himself, and will resort to any means to get it.

• Like 1

• You encounter a soul thief--a creature that is able to swap her soul for yours--and she puts you in her body. Your party doesn't believe who you claim to be, at least not initially, and you are left to fend for yourself bereft of most of your powers in a feeble body.

But powers are soul-powered, so… why? :)

Pillars of Bugothas