Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Who is your disarm traps guy ?

skills mechanics

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

By the way, I am not sure I understand what Survival 4 bonus does. It reads "4 – Accuracy Bonus vs. Creature Type" according to Wikia. What does "creature type" here exactly refer to? Those creatures your character already has bonus against? Like the Wilder and Primordial bonus that Boreal Dwarves have?

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2123 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

By the way, I am not sure I understand what Survival 4 bonus does. It reads "4 – Accuracy Bonus vs. Creature Type" according to Wikia. What does "creature type" here exactly refer to? Those creatures your character already has bonus against? Like the Wilder and Primordial bonus that Boreal Dwarves have?

There are five categories that all creatures fall into: Wilder, Primordial, Spirit, Vessel and Beast. For example Xaurips and Trolls are Wilders, the various Oozes are Primordials, undead and Animats are Vessels and most animals (and Dragons) are Beasts. When you use this Survival bonus you pick one of the five types and get a bonus to your Accuracy against it.

Note that Kith (human, elves, aumaua etc.) are not in any of these categories, and you can't choose Kith when you use the bonus, so if you're preparing for a difficult fight against Kith enemies you should choose a different bonus.

I believe you can find out which category an enemy falls into by checking the in game bestiary (once you've filled their entry) or on the Gamebanshee page.

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

There are five categories that all creatures fall into: Wilder, Primordial, Spirit, Vessel and Beast. For example Xaurips and Trolls are Wilders, the various Oozes are Primordials, undead and Animats are Vessels and most animals (and Dragons) are Beasts. When you use this Survival bonus you pick one of the five types and get a bonus to your Accuracy against it.

Note that Kith (human, elves, aumaua etc.) are not in any of these categories, and you can't choose Kith when you use the bonus, so if you're preparing for a difficult fight against Kith enemies you should choose a different bonus.

I believe you can find out which category an enemy falls into by checking the in game bestiary (once you've filled their entry) or on the Gamebanshee page.

Ah, so I can choose the bonus creature type when I am on the resting screen? I saw the choice to choose "bonus v. creature type" but I didn't know there was an additional drop-down choice. I never noticed that. Thanks!

Gnomic

Gnomic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts

If you turn off auto-leveling, you'll see that three Dyrwood NPCs start with one rank in Mechanics:

- Aloth

- Kana

- Grieving Mother

Any of those three are a fine choice for the party trapsmith.

Usually I take Aloth, so usually it's him.

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

MaxQuest (or anyone else):

How many scrollers would you need in general?

Given 2 Paladins, 1 Fighter, 1 Chanter, 1 Priest, and 1 Wizard set-up, who would you make the scroller?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7392 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If the fighter has high INT: the fighter

You can titally do without scrolls on PoTD with a full party though. Also without any other consumables...

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

If the fighter has high INT: the fighter

You can titally do without scrolls on PoTD with a full party though. Also without any other consumables...

But I am a newb on the first full PotD run who didn't even transition from Normal to Hard! ;)

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1476 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Given 2 Paladins, 1 Fighter, 1 Chanter, 1 Priest, and 1 Wizard set-up, who would you make the scroller?

I like carrying scrolls of confusion + paralyze + revival, because it gives me room for an error; even if my 3 main debilitators got chain-cc'ed to death I can still recuperate.

Atm I have 3 characters with 8 lore (chanter, priest and main cipher), 1 char with 10 lore (wizard) and 1 with 4 lore for scrolls of protection.
Basically (aside from the mech guy) every one is a colonist who invests in survival + lore (plus has 1-4 points in athletics).
In your case I would probably do the same. Make wizard or chanter your mech guy, and everyone else invest into surv/lore.

Edited by MaxQuest, 28 September 2017 - 08:59 AM.

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 670 posts

I like carrying scrolls of confusion + paralyze + revival, because it gives me room for an error; even if my 3 main debilitators got chain-cc'ed to death I can still recuperate.

Atm I have 3 characters with 8 lore (chanter, priest and main cipher), 1 char with 10 lore (wizard) and 1 with 4 lore for scrolls of protection.
Basically (aside from the mech guy) every one is a colonist who invests in survival + lore (plus has 1-4 points in athletics).
In your case I would probably do the same. Make wizard or chanter your mech guy, and everyone else invest into surv/lore.

Got it; thanks. I plan on making the mid-line Chanter the Mechanic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skills, mechanics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users