#Deadfire Q&A Twitch Stream with Josh Sawyer and Adam Brennecke

I think the main takeaway from the stream is that Dimitri Berman loves Satan and he's therefore my new favorite developer at Obsidian.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

60 % Twitter.

10 % Half of Usha's questions (this topic)

30 % Chat.

= This forum : forgotten realm.

I'm yet to watch it via youtube video. I suppose for those of us out of twitter and twitch, this thread is the only option.

I have a gut feeling that there will be another Q&A next week or so. So what about reposting unanswered questions? In case it's first serve, I promise I will try not to be the first one next time;) Really liked many queries you guys posted in this thread. Also twitter will get tired in time...

Btw., I think, there are one or two questions which were a sort of answered elsewhere. For example, from the first Q&A - about enchantable headgear:

Prime Junta: Will there be enchantable hats? There's a fashion statement I need to make and I don't want to suffer for it.

JS: We are redoing our enchant systems. I can't remember if hats are actually part of that scheme. I do know that a lot of people have requested it. Nothing would prevent it, it would just be a matter of us making recipes and things so that you could enchant hats. And we probably want those to be specific to hats, not just something that's generic across things.

Edited by ushas

They did answer a few questions from this thread; I think all Twitter questions and only a few from Twitch near the end.

Really? I read through the questions here again and I don't recognize any of them being answered on the stream. One/two similar questions came from Twitter.

If I got it right, the following questions from this thread got answered:

Ushas (3/10):

- Are Backgrounds in? If yes, in what form and shape?

- If the list of races is the same, what changes can we expect in the terms of reactivity?

- So scripted interactions are supposed to be different and incorporate portraits, if I recall correctly. Can you elaborate on the changes and improvements?

Boeroer (1/10)

- Will there be throwing weapons? (answer was: it's not their current focus)

+ a question about bashing shields (asked from the stream) (answer was: bashing shields were not intended to be crappy; they will look into this, and into single-weapon as well)

KaineParker (0/5)

DozingDragon (1/6)

- Will you reveal at least one Wizard subclass for the stream? (the answer was no. he will reveal it via twitter)

Dolash (0/3)

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy (1/16)

- similarly, will the environmental effects ever matter in combat, or are they just visual? Will the wind and the rain ever push us around? (if I got it right: answer was that they intend to make it a stretch goal)

CaptainHammer (1/3?)

- Was the specific use of a feminine pronoun for Berath intended or a typo? (A: not sure if intentional, but yes she is female)

Doppelschwert (0/2)

Gromnir (0?/7?)

ShadySands (0/4)

AndreaColombo (0/2)

CottonWolf (1/1)

- What underlying change the game mechanics from PoE1 to 2 do you think has had the biggest positive effect on the game? (answer was: none specifically; mostly refinements in everything)

theBalthazar (0/5)

TEEN ANIME WITCH (0/3)

MaxQuest (0/15) (or 1/15, as someone asked a somewhat similar question about AI) (answer: they intend to improve enemies difficulty via behavioral means and not just increasing their stats)

Mazisky (0/1)

Joral (0/3)

Approximate total: 9/96. Three times less than I expected... But well, that's ok I guess... (as they might not have the answers just yet...)

I'm only sad that we didn't get any new info/thoughts on the multi-class balancing. (as stuff explained at 18:00-18:47 was already known).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

As I said: there were similar questions here and on twitter - it's perfectly fine to summarize them. No problem with that. So you could say some (few) questions from here were answered.

My questions about throwing weapons and bashing were yelled into the chat at the end of the stream (not exclusively by me, but also by me). :) Especially the throwing weapons got asked so many times it was hard to ignore. These were the questions I considered to be the least interesting ones to be honest. I really would have liked to know about the bad sorting in the stash (because it affects the performance of the game a lot on older cmputers) and the command queueing (make it visible). But it's hard for me to yell such complicated things into the chat with a few words only. "Throwing weapons??? Come ON!!!" was much easier. ;)  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

not to be too suspicious, but am suspecting the first post in this thread after aarik were a plant.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I guess you are trolling, Gromnir. I don't mind. But just in case somebody takes it seriously:) you are free to search for my posts. I don't remember much, but if I recall we even tried to pinpoint a few wrongly programmed lines in the code in the past. That would be hilarious.

Look, I'm also unhappy many questions didn't make it through, even mine which interest me most didn't, judging by the MaxQuest's summary. As I said I can post later next time, for others to have more chance, if that makes a difference. But I'm not going to back off simply because somebody sees me as an intruder for whatever reason. We all are interested in various things. I remember PoE forums more welcoming in the beta times. But I guess there are just not yet many people in this subforum these days?

As for the questions, I think, it probably helps to make them short for the streaming purposes.

Damn, I missed this. Hope there'll be another one!

​According to the wiki page, there is going to be another one next week.

• Like 1

You forgot both of my (unanswered) questions in your tally, so the ratio is at least a bit worse than that.

Pardon)

Have added them to tally.

Also for anyone interested, here's the transcript made by Fereed: link

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

I remember PoE forums more welcoming in the beta times.

ok, now am certain our leg is being pulled.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

no, just probably bad memory. I simply don't remember being targeted for getting some echo from developers.

Also for anyone interested, here's the transcript made by Fereed: link

Thanks a lot!

Actually, scanning through the questions' wording in the transcript, there are like 6 or at least very similar to mine being used. But I think variants of some of them, eg. the one about weather / environments <-> gameplay, were asked more times on different places or also in this thread. I dunno, perhaps they just collected questions each day, not realizing there will be much more later on.

​Looking at the bashing answer:

JS: —yes, I have seen the stuff about bashing shields, we're going to look into that, why bashing isn't working the way it's supposed to, it's not supposed to be crappy. We'll look at one-handed style again. I think we did improve towards the end of Pillars 1 in one of the patches, but I guess some people still feel it's not really as worthwhile. So, we're going to look at it again, yeah.

​​Does it also mean there are PoE1 updates upcoming?

• Like 1

no, just probably bad memory. I simply don't remember being targeted for getting some echo from developers.

bad memory would needs be the most forgiving explanation.  poe2 is a game being sold to folks who purchased and enjoyed poe1.  as such, the current population is far more homogenized than the poe1 beta board. converse, other than a general appreciation o' the ie games, there were little consensus o' board opinion during poe1 development. for every announced poe design choice which deviated from perceived infinity engine norms, there were instant flashback and polarization. such divisions were entrenched and emotionally charged beyond reason.  polarized and emotional meant we saw frequent +20 page threads wherein folks were doing little save repeating selves and questioning the sanity and/or mental faculties o' posters with differing opinions. 

'course as poe2 is a sequel, the most disgruntled and disappointed predictable has abandoned the franchise.  sure, we still see differences o' opinion, but is far less extreme than when folks would post nazi iconography to make their point 'bout how disappointed they were with game mechanics or fellow posters.

not sure how this could be unknown.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir, we perhaps just misunderstood each other. I agree with your assessment of the heated times. I just remember being happy for any answers from developers. Also seeing difference between wording disagreement and questioning someone identity, the later I just don't remember happening to me personally. That's all to it.

I recall some of the issues, like the blurring filter accompanying the fatigue:) Though thankfully not any extreme nazi iconography. But I was also most of the times lurking only the BB bugs subforum.

However, with the system redesigning on the horizon (extent of which we are yet to find) and developers not quiet saying no or yes to romances, etc., what makes you think it wouldn't be equally heated between more traditional Pillars 1 fans and the proponents of the changes? There is already like 13 pages on the lost of Vancian casting.

However, with the system redesigning on the horizon (extent of which we are yet to find) and developers not quiet saying no or yes to romances, etc., what makes you think it wouldn't be equally heated between more traditional Pillars 1 fans and the proponents of the changes? There is already like 13 pages on the lost of Vancian casting.

because the original suggestion o' killing vancian casting in poe 1 were far more heated... which is the only reason we had vancian casting in poe1.  you use an ideal example to prove our point.  the p00p storm over obsidian's suggested abandonment caused collective fits o' hysteria and apoplexy.  anger at developers and fellow posters prompted obsidian to change their initial plan.  this is not news to folks who witnessed. 

is all getting off topic.  

HA! Good Fun!

^ Source?

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

^ Source?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I assume the same you've written at the start of the thread applies here (let me know if it doesn't), so here go some of my Comic Book Guy questions. :p

So... Recently I've been thinking a bit about how souls work in Pillars, and I was hoping I could hear Josh's thoughts on the following: it is my understanding (though I may be wrong) that as time goes by, souls split up to accomodate a growing lifeform population in Eora, each soul fragment growing increasingly weaker and slowly giving out to a process of entropy. If we look backwards in time, then, to what extent is the opposite true? To what extent do all souls reach to one "original soul", and (assuming it is within his powers) if a Watcher were to look back on the history of souls, would he reach a common memory shared across all soul fragments (think somewhat in the style of Akira or Altered States for example, though not necessarily as nightmarish)? If so, will we see more of it in Deadfire? Or am I wildly missing the mark here? :p

Thanks in advance, loved the first game and am greatly looking forward to the second installment!

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

^ Been there, done that; not going back. But thanks.