Some fun alternative facts:

Deweytruman12.jpg

255965_rather6.jpg

Brian-Williams-Was-There-3.jpg

miss-universe-2.jpg?w=450

2ZpbZ93.gif

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Certainly Trump is not very careful with his facts, but the "fact checkers" are also biased and not above making up stuff. For example WP assumes Trump was talking about some fake story about Kuwait, but he was more likely responding to stories like this: https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/story/Dubais_police_chief_praises_Trumps_travel_ban-ZAWYA20170201073246/

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health-july-dec02-jfk_11-18/

is not simple that kennedy gave a false impression o' health.  during democratic nomination, lbj hired private investigators to dig into kennedy's health issues.  investigations turned up addison's and other stuff... which were leaked to the public.  kennedy categorical denied.  

were just one example o' kennedy alternative facts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

am thinking guinness should start keeping alternative facts stats, 'cause trump's presser had to break some kinda record.  will list a few in a bit, but at the moment, am a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude o' it all.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

keep in mind it is Gromnir who always warns 'bout the actual power o' the President as 'posed to imagined.  pearl-clutching?  hardly.

but smelling salts?  admitted, there were a moment or two when...

ever been in a car crash, but were unharmed?  small car crash.  for a moment, before, during or after, (or perhaps before, during and after) the event feels unreal. surreal.  clearly you are witnessing the crash, but it just doesn't feel... real. 

that couldn't have been a Presidential press conference.  tell a jewish reporter to sit down.  tells a black reporter to arrange a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus.  and so many alternative facts. it weren't real.  but it was.  pass us the smelling salts.  we would appreciate it.

HA! Good Fun! 

When Barack Obama was President I had a few bits of advice for every American.

1. If you are in debt, get out. If you are not, stay out.
  2. Make sure, if you are able, that you own at least one firearm with a minimum of 200 rounds of ammunition stored.
  3. Set aside a store of canned or non-perishable food. At least two weeks worth.
  4. Invest at least some of your money in real assets like gold, silver, real estate, etc.
  5. Don't believe anything you see in the news or hear from the government.

Now that Trump is President and we have had a look at how things are going my advice is this:

2. Make sure, if you are able, that you own at least one firearm with a minimum of 200 rounds of ammunition stored.
  3. Set aside a store of canned or non-perishable food. At least two weeks worth.
  4. Invest at least some of your money in real assets like gold, silver, real estate, etc.
  • Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now that Trump is President and we have had a look at how things are going my advice is this:

GD I appreciate this is a form of a coping mechanism but you cant reasonably compare Trump and Obama ....you need to separate there presidencies and have honest and separate views on them    8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

GD I appreciate this is a form of a coping mechanism but you cant reasonably compare Trump and Obama ....you need to separate there presidencies and have honest and separate views on them    8)

Bruce you can have different varieties of bad. Obama knew what he was doing and it involved seizing power away from Congress and State Governments as well as curtailing individual liberty of citizens. That is bad. Trump does not seem to know what the heck he's doing. He's jumping from one thing to the next and in much of it he's acting on power the Presidency does not have. That's bad. So yes, it is totally comparable because it is all rooted in the same thing: extra-constitutional power.

Would you rather be stung by a hornet or bitten by a venomous spider? Not really the same thing but neither is desirable. Get the idea?

Thomas Sowell

Bruce you can have different varieties of bad. Obama knew what he was doing and it involved seizing power away from Congress and State Governments as well as curtailing individual liberty of citizens. That is bad. Trump does not seem to know what the heck he's doing. He's jumping from one thing to the next and in much of it he's acting on power the Presidency does not have. That's bad. So yes, it is totally comparable because it is all rooted in the same thing: extra-constitutional power.

Would you rather be stung by a hornet or bitten by a venomous spider? Not really the same thing but neither is desirable. Get the idea?

I do see your point but you can ask anyone on this forum from outside the USA who follows US politics and updates. I can guarantee you they will say Trump is seen as much more controversial

But as I have mentioned his foreign policy decisions have been mostly prudent and  reasonable 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I do see your point but you can ask anyone on this forum from outside the USA who follows US politics and updates. I can guarantee you they will say Trump is seen as much more controversial

But as I have mentioned his foreign policy decisions have been mostly prudent and  reasonable 

He's controversial because the media is finally doing it's job and challenging him. Through the majority of Obama's two terms he received mostly fawning praise or had the worst implications of his actions utterly ignored by the majority of the media.  It's not for nothing most Americans believe the "media" is not the watchdog of the political process but rather an active participant in it that advances their own ends.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

rather an active participant in it that advances their own ends.

GD I cant stress enough how important it is when people like you who encounter this  type of sentiment immediately address it and challenge it

Yes after Trump faith in the media should return  but at the moment the media is constantly attacked and criticized by Trump or his campaign team. Remember this is about free speech and I think we both value this  :geek:

John Milton 

GD I cant stress enough how important it is when people like you who encounter this  type of sentiment immediately address it and challenge it

Yes after Trump faith in the media should return  but at the moment the media is constantly attacked and criticized by Trump or his campaign team. Remember this is about free speech and I think we both value this  :geek:

Faith in the media will not return. Here is why. Suppose in 2020 Trump is replaced by a rabid, freedom hating left-winger like Elizabeth Warren. The "media" will do an immediate 180 and President Warren will be the benefactor of their fawning praise and forbearance against reporting anything negative even when they should. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Faith in the media will not return. Here is why. Suppose in 2020 Trump is replaced by a rabid, freedom hating left-winger like Elizabeth Warren. The "media" will do an immediate 180 and President Warren will be the benefactor of their fawning praise and forbearance against reporting anything negative even when they should. 

I will be honest I have never really understood some of the criticism towards the Democrats or people like Warren but after the Clinton presidential loss I now take these comments very seriously  and do use them in the my overall paradigm of US political predictions

The old BruceVC  would have ignored them.....hence one of the reasons for people like me getting the 2016 election result wrong :geek:  

John Milton 

If only we could trust the President, or the highly qualified folks in his cabinet, or the experienced Republican politicians around him, to have a shred of competence, we wouldn't need an obviously broken media system to try to call it out when the moron in office calls the sky red and the sea green.