Brainstorming Companion Character Ideas

So, I was watching old Stargate SG-1 episodes recently and got to thinking of how rarely I've seen characters like Teal'c in fantasy games, and naturally the next thing that line of thought lead to was just how awesome it would be if Obsidian got Christopher Judge to voice act this Big-Ass Aumaua Paladin with similar extremely stoic, formal and dedicated personality as a party member. And judging by the title I chose for this thread I think you're already guessing how that got me interested in seeing what kind of character ideas you guys would have.

So here's the deal. I'd like you to come up with character concepts you would like to see as party members, anything goes, including Orlan Terminators and Godlike Jesters. Don't worry if your idea sucks, as ****ty ideas are often only one step away from being totally awesome ideas. I don't know at what phase Obsidian is in designing the party NPCs of Deadfire, so I naturally don't know if they'll have a chance or the will to implement any of these, but it may still inspire someone to do something somewhere at some time.

The Idea also doesn't have to be very detailed, although it definitely can be. C'mon people, show me some passion! :D

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

I don't want more companions but if there must be more; a hot chick who isn't a teenager, a crazy bird or mother of 3 or 5 per complanca she should be single ready to mingle with daddy issues with a beautiful face & great ass. Miranda for 8th comp. please.

/jk

/or am I?

• Like 2

I believe that a non-human companion would be quite interesting, especially in the Deadfire setting. It would be strange if they didn't think about it, and I want to believe that the mysterious 6th companion is infact someone belonging to another race.

- A vithrack companion obviously comes to mind first, because we already got the chance to meet them and explore a bit of their powers and politics during PoE1. Was it during the WM or Od Nua? Maybe both.

For no specific reasons other than my personal preference, I believe that a vithrack cipher would be a fantastic companion.

- Ogres could make interesting companions as well, if a bit clichè maybe. Korgrak showed us a different nuance to his race during the first game, we might get to know him better, provided he's not dead clearly. The ogre matron was interesting, and Urdel and Gurdel are still a mystery to me.

- An ooze companion would be quite unique and fascinating. Maybe a shapeshifter? I wonder where I got this idea from... :p

• Like 1

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

No really, I don't wan't more companions. There are dozens of other NPCs need attention also, nuff with 10+ comps, half of em waiting at the bench.

Well, realistically speaking, if there are any ideas here worth pursuing, nothing is preventing Obsidian to implementing them as non-party NPCs. The party-member angle was just something I came up with while watching SG-1 and is not that important. The character concepts and personalities are the important part.

I believe that a non-human companion would be quite interesting, especially in the Deadfire setting. It would be strange if they didn't think about it, and I want to believe that the mysterious 6th companion is infact someone belonging to another race.

- A vithrack companion obviously comes to mind first, because we already got the chance to meet them and explore a bit of their powers and politics during PoE1. Was it during the WM or Od Nua? Maybe both.

For no specific reasons other than my personal preference, I believe that a vithrack cipher would be a fantastic companion.

Just curious, what kind of a personality would you imagine for him/her? (Do these guys even have genders?) 

Edited by Ninjamestari

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

Well, this is basically me writing Eora fanfiction, but some ideas off the top of my head:

1. A person whose soul was broken up into a bajillion different pieces and each one ended up in a different insect in a big swarm. Apart, they're just bugs, but so long as they stay close enough together, their twinned souls combine through resonance into a hive mind of sorts. They wear a dead human skin with a bunch of bugs crawling underneath giving it shape.

2. A disabled child who rides in a large, unintelligent animated construct with a hollow space inside. She fights by "piloting" her construct around from inside the hollow.

3. An awakened Xaurip that remembers being a dragon in a past life and wants to find a way to polymorph themselves into one.

4. An Engwithan, sent forward in time by a soul experiment gone horribly wrong.

• Like 2

Well, this is basically me writing Eora fanfiction, but some ideas off the top of my head:

1. A person whose soul was broken up into a bajillion different pieces and each one ended up in a different insect in a big swarm. Apart, they're just bugs, but so long as they stay close enough together, their twinned souls combine through resonance into a hive mind of sorts. They wear a dead human skin with a bunch of bugs crawling underneath giving it shape.

2. A disabled child who rides in a large, unintelligent animated construct with a hollow space inside. She fights by "piloting" her construct around from inside the hollow.

3. An awakened Xaurip that remembers being a dragon in a past life and wants to find a way to polymorph themselves into one.

4. An Engwithan, sent forward in time by a soul experiment gone horribly wrong.

number 3 is an interesting idea.

I'm a bit turned off by those "realistic" characters that are intentionally flawed. I mean I get that no one is perfect, but this is a video game and a fantasy story, so you could leave some romanticism in there. Allow yourself to create a character that can be a little cliche, like a hero who has high morals and is strongly committed to his cause, or a wise ruler who is not corrupted by power, but actually cares about his kingdom, etc. etc.

Just throwing my opinion there, I understand that people have various tastes considering characters. But, I think that always adding negative sides to characters makes it look like you're trying to hard to make them interesting.

my fave companion idea is the sixth companion~ :3

By sixth, do you mean the seventh?

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=243#updates

Or do you really mean the sixth - who hasn't actually been revealed?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

As I said before IMO the seventh companion will be a male mountain dwarf.

Here's what we know and my forecast:

1. Confirmed: Human no 1 - Eder - male - fighter/rogue
  2. Confirmed: Human no 2 - Xoti - female - priest/monk
  3. Confirmed: Goldike - Pallegina - female - paladin
  4. Confirmed: Elf - Aloth - male - wizard
  5. Confirmed: Orlan - dual-wielding gunner - male - hell if I know
  6. Confirmed: Aumaua - girl with the bird - female - ranger
  7. Mayhap: Dwarf - male - barb perhaps?

Also I think that the dwarf will be male because:

• there are 3 males and 3 females confirmed, so they will probably lean toward male
  • orlan companion from PoE1 was male and here the orlan also appears to be male, so in order to differentiate it a little they won't to that with a dwarf (female Sagani), and change the dwarven companion into a male this time around

I mean, come on, when it will be time for a proper dwarf companion?

So it's either this or that elven dude Gacgen, he's a real mofo.

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

You sure about the dual-pistol Grinch's being male?

I've got the concept art set as my desktop wallpaper, and that's either a she or a male with gynecomastia.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So male orlan, male dwarf.

Am I to infer we are getting female elf? Is Josh's war on female elves finally coming to an end?

edit: ​I'd also expect at least one more Godlike to be joining the party. Pallegina needs buddy.

Edited by injurai

You sure about the dual-pistol Grinch's being male?

I've got the concept art set as my desktop wallpaper, and that's either a she or a male with gynecomastia.

8ea57951b1.jpg

Looks male to me.

Though if the Falcon is a new Ranger pet that would be awesome.

• Like 1

8ea57951b1.jpg

Looks male to me.

Based on that picture, I concur.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I agree, though I'll be honest—and I certainly appreciate being with the minority here—I would like it even better if the falcon companion was exclusive to this NPC. It would make her more special.

That's not to say PC rangers can't have more animal companions that weren't in the original game. It's just that I feel NPCs with their own unique perk tend to be more interesting/attractive, and a ranger with a unique falcon companion would be very much so.

• Like 2

I agree, though I'll be honest—and I certainly appreciate being with the minority here—I would like it even better if the falcon companion was exclusive to this NPC. It would make her more special.

That's not to say PC rangers can't have more animal companions that weren't in the original game. It's just that I feel NPCs with their own unique perk tend to be more interesting/attractive, and a ranger with a unique falcon companion would be very much so.

We are going to a hole new ecosystem, we may be up for some really cool new wildlife. I keep thinking about a strange mash up of the Caribbean, Galapagos, and Pacific Islands with a heavy dose of fantasy.

• Like 1

Kaeral, a former priestess of Berath that has been forcibly placed in fampyric form by a sociopathic animancer seeking revenge for causing the loss of his research. She is entrapped by a collar that forces her to serve the various humiliating whims of her new master, and prevents her from seeking her own demise. The destruction of Caed Nua has temporarily left her free of the animancers control (for reasons unknown), and now she seeks a noble ending to her miserable life in a place far from her home.

Is she romancable? Eh... it might get a bit weird.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."