Nothing new, we're still in beta3. I'll wait till Tuesday when the next beta will come out. Until then there's not so much motivation to play the beta3 again. I already have 230 hours on the counter.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

At the moment I'm quite pissed with the beta and the direction PoE2 is going and have low motivation to put efford into builds. If the game stays like this I may not even play it... 

why is that boerer ?

what are you unhappy with about the way POE2 is headed?

Ive only justy started playing the BETA but loved pillars1

Since I wrote that some things have changed (PEN system for example). Also, as always: you get used to things if you only do them often enough. Maybe remember how pissed I was when Josh said that you will not be able to enchant weapons/armor like in PoE? Well... I got used to the thought - it just had to sink in.  :)

And there are lots of things that will change in the upcoming beta and the final release (faster summoning times for weapons, faster casting times, cipher improvements, more passive abilites and much more), so I have higher hopes now.

I've put around 230 hours into the beta at this point and of course there are things that are great and better than in PoE (look at the awesome stealth system with sound detection, pickpocket, graphics, loading times and much more). I'm starting to see them better now that the first wave of frustration is over. It was just so that I didn't want a complete overhaul like this - since I, as you, love PoE and would have liked a sequel that uses the same mechanics (with improvements of course).

Now I know this is no request concert - I'm just saying this just so you know why I'm still a bit disappointed. Deadfire feels like a totally different game (let me repeat: still feels a bit like Tyranny for whatever reason) and being a beta (with a completely new system), it has several flaws that dampen the fun while playing.

So while I'm not really pissed anymore I'm still not very happy. Maybe just because of nostalgia - I mean they took something that I really liked and turned it into something that I don't seem to like as much. Given how much time I put into PoE I'm sure my view on this is totally biased, but still...

However: the main reason why I feel still unhappy about is this: When I play the beta I don't get the, how do I put it... the "vibe"? The feeling? The spirit of PoE anymore. That what bound me to PoE all the time. Mechanically it feels like a different game and it can't motivate me. It may well be that this is only the case because the beta is short and not connected to any main plot. So I'll see what the whole game will bring to the table and then I'll judge again. Maybe I will be totally blown away. I hope so.

I'm always trying to be objective, but I'm also an emotional and impulsive person (I guess I still hold the record in my Basketball team for most technical fouls in one season - mostly for yelling at refs ;)) and as soon as you see me write in a somewhat roiling manner you should take it with a grain of salt. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I feel very much the same. Pillars was an excellent game and whilst its mechanics went perfect they didn't need completely redesigning. That said some of the more recent news about upcoming changes gives me hope, and I have to remind myself that Pillars at release was quite a different animal to Pillars 3.07, and also that Pillars' beta also had a rocky existence.

At the very least I am confident I'll have one play through where I get to experience the story, writing and world, all of which I am sure will be excellent, so in no way do I regret backing. The question is whether I replay Deadfire multiple times like I did (and do) Pillars, it whether it ends up being and one and done affair.

I also want Deadfire to be a commercial success because I want Obsidian to make a sequel, as well as more games set in Eora.

• Like 4

I also fear it will be like Tyranny for me: one playthrough for the story, and one for a cool build - but that one I canceled because the mechanics just felt meh. 

Tyranny needs more playthroughs for the story though, while character builds are not really worth it at all. Magic always has to be your main profession, because it nets you ridiculously more exp than anything else.

I played it 5 times nevertheless, one time to get to know it, then four times to get the maximum out of every different path.

Wait, you can't enchant armor/weapons?

You can, but you don't have total freedom. The way it was explained was something like this:

• Quality enchantments (fine, exceptional etc.) can only be upgraded once, so a fine weapon can only be upgraded to exceptional, never to superb or above.
  • The more unique enchantments like flaming are restricted to weapons which start with them, however they can be upgraded, often in two different ways.

So gone is the world where you find a weapon you like and keep upgrading it throughout the game. Instead you'll likely replace weapons as and when you find more powerful ones.

Wait, you can't enchant armor/weapons?

You can, but you don't have total freedom. The way it was explained was something like this:

• Quality enchantments (fine, exceptional etc.) can only be upgraded once, so a fine weapon can only be upgraded to exceptional, never to superb or above.
  • The more unique enchantments like flaming are restricted to weapons which start with them, however they can be upgraded, often in two different ways.

So gone is the world where you find a weapon you like and keep upgrading it throughout the game. Instead you'll likely replace weapons as and when you find more powerful ones.

> Quality enchantments (fine, exceptional etc.) can only be upgraded once, so a fine weapon can only be upgraded to exceptional, never to superb or above.

Oh man...

> Quality enchantments (fine, exceptional etc.) can only be upgraded once, so a fine weapon can only be upgraded to exceptional, never to superb or above.

Oh man...

I'm not a fan either. Apparently though a big complaint with PoE was that people could stick with the first decent weapon the found and keep upgrading it, hence they'd never really use later game loot or get excited about it.

I suspect that most of those who complained about this never actually did so however, since to upgrade a weapon to Superb required a limited component only available in Act III and to upgrade armour to Superb required you to have beaten the Adra Dragon which, for most people, will happen in the late game. In both cases the player would have obtained most the loot the game had to offer.

It holds up even less once the White March expansions are added in, since the loot in those is a lot more varied and interesting. However, like so many of the common complaints it was levelled early in Pillars' life and those who didn't like Pillars repeated it long after it no longer really applied (probably because they never replayed Pillars).

Still, it won't be all that different to the only IE games in that regard, but I'd have preferred it remained more like Pillars' system.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to Deadfire. I havent played beta however, i dont want to spoil the experience of the final game. However i am a bit worried about some things. Mainly the long cast times and recovery times. To my knowledge what i read on forums etc, casters are quite bad right now and this sucks big time for me, because i mainly focus on casters, i find them the most fun by far.

I have finished PoE1 several times. Recently i finished The Ultimate on priest and currently trying to finish The Ultimate on wizard. Its a great fun. 

I also loved Tyranny and i didnt mind the different systems as all. I found the cooldown based casting system quite good. I also finished the game with full party and also solo.

Hopefully the will fix these issues before the release. You say that they have a new version of beta coming out soon right? Did they already announce the changes they will make?

No, please Boeroer! Every time you come up with some odd combination or focus on one weapon type the very next patch removes or nerfs it. Put out like a secret newsletter with your builds.  Do we want another cipher retaliation focus nerf?

• Like 4

No, please Boeroer! Every time you come up with some odd combination or focus on one weapon type the very next patch removes or nerfs it. Put out like a secret newsletter with your builds.  Do we want another cipher retaliation focus nerf?

Even if he makes a secret newsletter Josh will sign up to it under a pseudonym :lol:

• Like 1

Retaliation focus wasn't nerfed...

... it was destroyed!

• Like 2

Vancian =/= per rest.

Go, go , go, do it all the noob way.

LISTEN to Boeroer and do not waste time to make your own builds. :) He helped me with a lot of stuff, the noob way is great.

"Waste time?" Making your own builds is half the fun of the game!

depends.

I enjoy clearing content and experiencing the story. I'm not a huge fan of experimenting and running the same content multiple times to find the most efficient way to play. Letting someone else shoulder the experimenting saves a lot of time.