If they get their stacking rules together, Berserker/Goldpact Knight is also good.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yep.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Barbarians and Paladins go together like cocaine and waffles!!!

The best offense mixed with one of the better defenses and you get a solid performer.

Other contenders to mix with Barbarians to help shore up their defenses:

• Wizard - no subclass, brings the quick cast low level buffs like Fleet Feet (+5 dex), Infuse with Essence (+5 con, +5 int), mirror image or liengraths displaced image for a solid deflection boost. Even without adding anything to Resolve a free spell like fireball obtained via a found grimoire is a nice opener from stealth.
  • Trickster - gets illusion spells like mirror image and gets lots of extra damage from Rogue abilities. Loses out on some sneak attack.
  • Priest of Wael - gets illusion spells, plus the priest spells. Has a summoned rod which isn't very barbarian-like but makes a solid pick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Other contenders to mix with Barbarians to help shore up their defenses:

• Wizard - no subclass, brings the quick cast low level buffs like Fleet Feet (+5 dex), Infuse with Essence (+5 con, +5 int), mirror image or liengraths displaced image for a solid deflection boost. Even without adding anything to Resolve a free spell like fireball obtained via a found grimoire is a nice opener from stealth.

If Barbarian happens to also be a Berserker he will benefit extra from Infuse as it removes Confusion.

Vancian =/= per rest.

What does everyone think about soul blade with conjured weapons instead of devoted or berserker. Conjured weapons have massive focus gain plus soul annihilation for focus dump. Anyone tried this?

Parasitic Staff and Firebrand don't generate more focus than normal weapons of the same quality because they have the same base damage as their mundane counterparts. That is different from PoE1 where they all had higher base damage.

Priests' faith attuned weapons do generate more focus because the powerful lashes also contribute to focus gain. But you will have to summon the weapon which takes 6 seconds - in which you could have attacked with non-summoned ones. So it depends how long the fight lasts if this is beneficial or not.

Citzal's Spirit Lance does generate a ton of focus because the AoE damage also contributes to focus gain and has a very weird AoE behaviour with Soul Annihilation as I already described above in an earlier post. I think it's bugged and I reported it in the bug section but got no reaction.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Boeroer,

I know it depends on a lot of factors like how much may be changed between the beta and full release in April, but assuming not much changes, how long after the release date do you think it will be before you start sharing some comprehensive class builds for us to try?

You always seem to come up with things I overlook or don't think of.

:)

• Like 2

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

Um, no idea. I depends what family, business and life in general will throw at me. :)

At the moment I'm pretty bored by the beta (the bad shape of casting and the boredom of leveling a single class, all the game-breaking bugs that make certain things totally OP - like Cleaving Stance, Swift Flurry, Blast and so on) and so I find myself playing PoE1 AGAIN. Because I like it so much more than the beta of Deadfire.

So maybe I will not be as motivated to come up with stuff as I was in PoE1. I will decide once I see the finished game. Then I will most likely encounter some serious bugs that will prevent that I do quest x or y - or just lets me get stuck in some cellar or so - then I will wait for a patch and then... maybe then the game captivates me and I'm motivated enough to write down build guides.

The problem with early build ideas is that the game will get patched and some good combos will get nerfed or removed - andthen the build is rubbish and all the work is for nothing. That's no so cool. Remember the Backlash Beldam (retaliating cipher)? Now it's not working anymore. So I try not to rush things I guess. Still, IF I get excited aboutthe game I think I will write down something after the first finished playthrough - even if it will be obsolete after the first patch.

At the moment it feels like Deadfire will not be "my game" though - but hopefully the finished game will prove me wrong.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 7

I too hope that casters and single class builds are improved as most of us are, so hopefully Obsidian will take this into consideration before or soon after release.

I understand also wanting to wait for a few patches to see if any significant changes are made.

For your and all of us, I hope that Pillars not only lives up to (reasonable) expectations, but exceeds the strengths of the original.

(you can still make some minor build suggestions for us before then though... ;) )

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

Since Josh announced the new plentiful passive abilities my hopes rose again. ;)

Although that picture that he posted that says "1 active ability point and 1 passive ability point" makes me sad again. :(

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So finally my new computer from Tuxedo arrived yesterday with a dual boot (Ubuntu/Win10 just for the beta which only runs on windows - shame on you OBS ;)).

It has 64GB of RAM, an i7-7700K and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - so it might handle Deadfire well enough. ;)

Why do you need so much RAM?

Anyway, youtube definitely needs good channel with Pillars of Eternity stuff. There are only TCS or Ultimate playthroughs and Nerd Commando Game Studios channel, but the first are mostly boring to watch and I can't listen to Nerd Commando.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Honestly: it's great when you use virtual machines and/or Docker containers, which I do because of my work.

It's also good if you want to emulate disk space in RAM (RAM-Disk).

Edited by Boeroer

I’m a little envious, yes ;)

• Like 1

Doesn't make me play the Deadfire beta though. ;)

Every time a new version of the beta is out I will tinker around with some build ideas for a few hours. But I can't get myself to do another beta "playthrough". Maybe it's because it's rather short anyway and quite boring because you skip the first 6 levels and can't go past 9 - maybe it's because I don't like the whole Deadfire thing atm - I don't know.

At the same time I'm doing yet another playthrough with PoE (to bring over to Deadfire) with Edér as fighter/monk (Take the Hit somehow totally fits the theme and is so nice if you skip mind control use in your party), Aloth as wizard/ranger (CB's Blackbow ftw) and Pallegina as paladin/wizard/ranger (Wrath otFS + blunderbuss + missiles galore) aka the walking artillery.

This is just more fun than to moan about all the stuff I don't like about Deafire atm (game breaking stuff like Cleaving, Swift Flurry, Blast, Minor Blights, Spirit Lance - stupid stuff like casting times+recovery in general - totally awful stuff like scrolls, potions and explosives being more powerful than actual abilities and whatnot). And I'm not interested in the whole ship stuff at all, so that "innovation" also doesn't make me play it again.

And I just don't want to waste time with that beta which will most likely change a lot until release. All insights I will be getting from playing the beta might be totally useless once the finished game comes out.

And since the whole system was rewritten instead of doing a refined PoE we will have to endure the appliance of a lot of patches until Deadfire will be in the same good state as PoE was (also after lots of patches).

I'm just tired of the beta. Big fat computer doesn't help it. But at least I managed to play it for ~160 hours. Most of it with the first version.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Anyway, youtube definitely needs good channel with Pillars of Eternity stuff. There are only TCS or Ultimate playthroughs and Nerd Commando Game Studios channel, but the first are mostly boring to watch and I can't listen to Nerd Commando.

Lmao - why you hating on my boy nerdcommandos accent??

Doesn't make me play the Deadfire beta though. ;)

Every time a new version of the beta is out I will tinker around with some build ideas for a few hours. But I can't get myself to do another beta "playthrough". Maybe it's because it's rather short anyway and quite boring because you skip the first 6 levels and can't go past 9 - maybe it's because I don't like the whole Deadfire thing atm - I don't know.

At the same time I'm doing yet another playthrough with PoE (to bring over to Deadfire) with Edér as fighter/monk (Take the Hit somehow totally fits the theme and is so nice if you skip mind control use in your party), Aloth as wizard/ranger (CB's Blackbow ftw) and Pallegina as paladin/wizard/ranger (Wrath otFS + blunderbuss + missiles galore) aka the walking artillery.

This is just more fun than to moan about all the stuff I don't like about Deafire atm (game breaking stuff like Cleaving, Swift Flurry, Blast, Minor Blights, Spirit Lance - stupid stuff like casting times+recovery in general - totally awful stuff like scrolls, potions and explosives being more powerful than actual abilities and whatnot). And I'm not interested in the whole ship stuff at all, so that "innovation" also doesn't make me play it again.

And I just don't want to waste time with that beta which will most likely change a lot until release. All insights I will be getting from playing the beta might be totally useless once the finished game comes out.

And since the whole system was rewritten instead of doing a refined PoE we will have to endure the appliance of a lot of patches until Deadfire will be in the same good state as PoE was (also after lots of patches).

I'm just tired of the beta. Big fat computer doesn't help it. But at least I managed to play it for ~160 hours. Most of it with the first version.

Yeah, sadly this is very much how I'm feeling at the moment too. In its current state it's quite likely I'll only play Deadfire through once for the story. The mechanical side of the game just isn't as appealing as Pillars for me.

• Like 3

I also fear it will be like Tyranny for me: one playthrough for the story, and one for a cool build - but that one I canceled because the mechanics just felt meh. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2