earth day 2017

Gromnir

april 22, 2017

am not a dyed-in-wool evironmentalist, but with the proposed march on washington o' american scientists objecting to trump's alternative facts, policies (stalinist policies?) regarding the release o' scientific findings, and his often comical (but potential dangerous) beliefs regarding a wide range o' issues such as climate change and vaccinations, am expecting this will be the first earth day we look forward to.  

previous earth days has been met with Gromnir indifference or perhaps a fleeting desire to punch a hippie in the face.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The earth is fine and will be fine, it's humanity that is ****ed with overpopulation in Asia and the looming demographic explosion in Africa. 

If mother gaia has enough of humans, she will just sneeze us out with a virus that affects our immune system, turning it to ourselves.....oh.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The earth is fine and will be fine, it's humanity that is ****ed with overpopulation in Asia and the looming demographic explosion in Africa.

I have never understood this whole "lets belittle a movement by completely mistating what that movement is." People do that with BLM too. You can state a reasonable objection about a movement without coming across as daft.

• Like 1

Hopefully that march will have a fun turnout. Hopefully will come across some sneering about how one doesn't protest as they have jobs (though, I guess those people aren't lucky enough to have vacation days ? :p) so salaries can be compared

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hopefully that march will have a fun turnout. Hopefully will come across some sneering about how one doesn't protest as they have jobs (though, I guess those people aren't lucky enough to have vacation days ? :p) so salaries can be compared

The 22nd is a Saturday. 

Amusingly, the Saturday immediately before that is also a target date for some significant anti-Trump activity.  The 15th is traditionally the day that income tax filings are due (the actual date this year will slide to the 18th because of the weekend and a DC-only holiday, but the 15th is generally still thought of as "Tax Day"), and, of course, he still refuses to release any of his tax information. 

Well, that's one thing foiled. Ah well, is always a set bashing protestors, should have fun with them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The 22nd is a Saturday. 

Amusingly, the Saturday immediately before that is also a target date for some significant anti-Trump activity.  The 15th is traditionally the day that income tax filings are due (the actual date this year will slide to the 18th because of the weekend and a DC-only holiday, but the 15th is generally still thought of as "Tax Day"), and, of course, he still refuses to release any of his tax information. 

Nice to see you back around Enoch. We haven't heard much from you lately.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You can easily turn that around and say that the problem is really us.

First world humans refusing to give up their standards of life.

Shining examples of responsibility that Asians and Africans aspire to become.

You can easily turn that around and say that the problem is really us. First world humans refusing to give up their standards of life.

This kind of slave mentality seems to plague the environmentalist left.

i.e. they'll pin the issue of unsustainable resource exploitation onto all of us, condemning us all and encouraging us each to all do our part. Pretty words but hardly gets to the crux of the issue. I already live a fairly "green life": I limit my water consumption, I carpool with coworkers and I limit the amount of electricity I use - not because I'm some green lifestylist but because I'm a normal person and using gas, electricity and water frivolously would be expensive.

In reality the guilty party are those who actually control vast swathes of land and resources and use these things unsustainably for short term profit. Truly whose the bigger offender: every lazy bastard like me who can't always be bothered to separate my recyclables from my non-recyclables or the guys bulldozing the amazon for more farm land.

Of course I'm guessing you're not one of these liberals but instead a death-cult minded right-winger who seems to throw up their hands when it comes to issues pertaining to the environment. "sure we're destroying the only place we can live but **** it."

At least most of  mankind is aware of what harms the earth and we are generally committed to a sustainable lifestyle as far as the ecosystem is concerned

So no need for guilt or thoughts of mass genocide of all humans...that seems very excessive and unhelpful  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The earth is fine and will be fine, it's humanity that is ****ed.

That's the point. That's why environmentalism is a thing.

They really need to work on their PR department.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The 22nd is a Saturday. 

Nice to see you back around Enoch. We haven't heard much from you lately.

I've been around the Pillars-related forums from time to time.  But, well, here's a visual representation of me in political discussions lately:

e8a5w9s.gif

• Like 1

Well that guy exists, the Mail is getting better. Also, that's quite early for just in time. :p

Seems like there is push back

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2017/2/5/1630229/-Retired-NOAA-scientist-feels-slighted-sets-world-afire-in-revenge

Edited by Malcador