Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The BEST 3 RPGs you have ever played

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

Gritino

Gritino

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts

I'm going to go by the RPGs off the top of my head and say:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Dragon Age: Origins

Pillars of Eternity 2

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10517 posts

2. Jagged Alliance 2

There should be re-education camps where people were forced to play this until they learned to love it. Up there with 'Elite' and 'Lords of Midnight' in pure genius. Sadly the kind of games that just seems impossible to recapture the "magic" of. Same thing with Master of Orion 2 imho.
  • Majek, Mamoulian War, Azdeus and 1 other like this

Fistanbey

Fistanbey

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 9 posts

2. Jagged Alliance 2

There should be re-education camps where people were forced to play this until they learned to love it. Up there with 'Elite' and 'Lords of Midnight' in pure genius. Sadly the kind of games that just seems impossible to recapture the "magic" of. Same thing with Master of Orion 2 imho.

Yea, and im surprised how few people even know about JA2, it is definately a one of kind game and  alot of fun with 1.13 mods as well. MoO2 was at least very famous with 4x players.

Gritino

Gritino

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts

I hope there's a Jade Empire 2 someday.

Of course, it's not going to happen, but I can dream.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2314 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why isn't anyone mentioning FF VI?

This is why: https://forums.obsid...irginity/page-1 :p

Mr. Magniloquent

Mr. Magniloquent

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Reflexifly answering would be:

1. Baldur's Gate 2
  2. Fallout 1 & 2 (Tie)
  3. Planescape: Torment

Picking only three is brutal, and I have to make some honorable mentions.

4. Vampire Bloodlines: The Masquerade
  5. Betrayal at Krondor

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1213 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

yeah 3 is brutal and honestly not sure how much nostalgia will affect my list but:

1. Fallout 1/2

2. Baldurs Gate 1/2

3. Gothic or Planescape

I must say combat mechanics are not great in neither of them but I love them overall

Azdeus

Azdeus

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 648 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Fallout.
Jagged Alliance 2.
Vampire Bloodlines.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3014 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Also going to combine some

1. FO1/2

2. BG1/2

3. I dunno, maybe KOTOR1/2 or Bloodlines

• injurai likes this

Skazz

Skazz

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Everyone vote VtMB now or else this guy will get you:

LFHTYLO.jpg

• bugarup, AwesomeOcelot and E.RedMark like this

wolfrider100

wolfrider100

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 209 posts

If I really had to pick I would go with the below the 3 of these. All 3 Fallouts at

number two I really can not choose between, so I picked them all for that spot.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

2.  Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas.

3.  Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

(Honorable mentions go to Gothic 1 and 2, Jade Empire and Dragon Age:

Origins. All which sadly did not make it on my top 3 list but I still love a lot.)

Edited by wolfrider100, 10 June 2018 - 07:59 PM.

Thingolfin

Thingolfin

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 277 posts

Probably a bit blashphemous to not have an oldschool crpg on my list, but my three are:

1. Witcher 3

2. Morrowind

3. Pokemon Blue

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8522 posts

Wasteland, Gothic (all of them!), Deus Ex and Fallout: New Vegas are the RPG's I can play over and over without seemingly ever tire of.

1. Wasteland: open world, skills that increase by usage, contemporary weapons.. all in 1988. Talk about ahead of its time.

2. Gothic: open world, ruthless difficulty, brilliant world design, exploration beyond belief.

3. Deus Ex/Fallout: New Vegas (I can't choose between them, sue me): Deus Ex had that player skills/modifiable weapons mix that I love. Not open world, everything else was perfect. Fallout: New Vegas has an abundance of everything, skills, quests, dialogue, you name it. Weak open world design, but it was their first try.

evilcat

evilcat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 881 posts

Witcher 3

Vampire Bloodlines

Mass Effect 2

Not sure if they are really BEST, but i had a fun with them. And there is something in mixing crpg with action, it alterns the game tempo.

LittleRose

LittleRose

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts

I admire how so many of you can pick only three games. You're truly brave.

Okay, I'll try.

-TES: Morrowind, because of the landscapes, the lore, and the open world, while the guilds still have requirements. No archmages without arcane knowledge here.

-Planescape: Torment, because of this fascinating, creative, and imaginative world, combined with all those stats dependent options. You didn't get to see any additional dialogue or interaction options if you didn't meet the requirements, unlike today, where these options are just grayed out. So playing several times with different characterstats and classes meant discovering completely new aspects of the game. Also, the story was something else, as you don't play a hero to save the world, but follow your own tracks.

-VtM: Bloodlines, because it had so many different ways to play it. Every vampire clan felt different, you had several ways to finish quests, those quests felt different from the usual because of the game world, the game had so many creepy or unique moments, it just stands out. Too bad it was so buggy at its release, but the fan patches finished it. Plus, I liked not having to save the world but to get lost in those vampire politics instead. Being just a pawn in a game of chess was a nice change.

Now, let me cheat with some honorable mentions in no particular order:

-Arcanum didn't make the list because of its terrible balancing. Apart from that, it had great world building, many different approaches to some creative quests, and a great replayability. Also, the options you had differed depending on your character stats, just like in P:T.

-Anachronox is still my favorite space opera RPG, despite the Mass Effect Trilogy. Where else can you get a shrunken planet in your party? PAL will always be my favorite robot companion, and there were so many little details in the world that made it feel alive. Why didn't Anachronox make the list? Because the game is rather static, there are no different character classes to try, no additional options or sidequests you would get with different stats. There are some things that change depending on your party members, though. It's a pity that it never got a sequel, because Anachronox was meant to be the first part of a trilogy, but it simply didn't sell.

-Arx Fatalis has a lot for you to discover. Some spells that aren't automatically in your spellbook, but you have to find them by experimenting with the runes. There were also some secrets hidden in the game world. And you could sometimes use your environment to kill your foes, instead of engaging them in direct combat. I really enjoyed it, but the story was a little generic, and if you don't get your stats right from the start, you'll have a hart time, as you can only get up to level 10, and you need to get your primary skills high. Also, the games that made the top 3 had a little more to offer. Arx Fatalis ist still worth playing, though. I wish the Arkane Studios would finally make a sequel, now that they're done with Dishonored. Really pretty please with sugar, cream, chocolate sirup, and sprinkles on top.

-Fallout 1 and 2 would clearly make the top 5, because of the world, the story, the influence of the character stats and perks, the quests, the different cultures of the different settlements... I could go on forever. But this is a top 3 list, so I had to make a choice. These 2 are clearly my personal number 4 of the best RPGs I've played so far.

Not that New Vegas had been much worse, I just don't like that shooting in real time, because I suck at it. Whatever happened to character skill before player skill.

-The Witcher series has choices and consequences that have actual influence on the later game. Especially in The Witcher 2, where you have to play the game twice to get the whole story. Some may love this, some may hate it, but I loved it. You only get to know the story parts of the side you're playing on, which makes sense. The big picture takes seeing both sides.

I also liked the game world, and yes, I know it's based on a book series. The cities still feel huge, unlike in some other games. If you don't have much room, you need a clever layout to make the settlements feel bigger. Am I right, Oblivion and Dragon Age? Take a close look, you two.

Unfortunately, my current computer can't handle part 3, but I'm saving up for a new one, so I hope to be able to play it early next year.

Of course there are other favorites of mine, but the special places in my heart aren't necessarily better than these. They (Baldur's Gate and Realms of Arkania) just mean more to me, because they had a great influence on my gaming "career", but they don't stand out as much as the other games I've listed, so they don't really belong here.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2593 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

Moved to Computer & Console because it's more general gaming discussion. :)

Whoa whoa, this isn't the Wild West. We have rules in C&C, and when you are asked to list your top 3 rpg's, you stop at 3!

1. Quest for Glory
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. Fallout

When I posted that it wasn't in C&C, though. :p

Doesn't apply now, so in no order: BG2, Mask of the Betrayer, Pokemon Crystal.

Huinehtar

Huinehtar

Technothaumaturgist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

My top RPGs wouldn't be different than the ones I mentioned in the all-time top, so, unsurprisingly,

1. Planescape: Torment

2. Fallout

3. Shining Force III

For the first two, I share many things with other who already explained why these games were so good and appreciated, I would add that they literally threw me out from the "safe space" I had in RPGs back then, beyond innovation, lore and gameplay, the whole impression I had after completing them was it "changed" me, as it was a "before" and an "after", thus making me more exigent about video games, as I wouldn't easily accept less than these games delivered.

Shining Force III had similar qualities inside, and it isn't very popular here, sadly. To me, the best tactical RPG ever (sorry Jagged Alliance 2, but C&C and story are better in SFIII), and I suspect that many don't care about it, because they think it's a JRPG like the Final Fantasy series and co, while the Shining Force series has nothing to do with. But, the reason could be because it was released on Saturn, and only the first scenario was released in NA and Europe. About this, since I completed SFIII years after Planescape: Torment and Fallout, maybe if SFIII Scenario 2, 3 and the Premium Disc content were released outside of Japan back then, maybe SFIII would have become the first one in my top 3.

E.RedMark

E.RedMark

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 649 posts

Shining Force III had similar qualities inside, and it isn't very popular here, sadly. To me, the best tactical RPG ever (sorry Jagged Alliance 2, but C&C and story are better in SFIII), and I suspect that many don't care about it, because they think it's a JRPG like the Final Fantasy series and co, while the Shining Force series has nothing to do with. But, the reason could be because it was released on Saturn, and only the first scenario was released in NA and Europe. About this, since I completed SFIII years after Planescape: Torment and Fallout, maybe if SFIII Scenario 2, 3 and the Premium Disc content were released outside of Japan back then, maybe SFIII would have become the first one in my top 3.

I played the old Shining force...

Man..that was good . And never heard of a 3rd !!

But if it was on Saturn , then yeah . 

• Huinehtar likes this

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts

Favorites

-Vampires the Masquerade 

-Pillars of Eternity

-Mass Effect 2

Honorable mentions

-Dragon age origins (my introduction to rpgs)

-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates

-Overlord

• Skazz likes this

Hawke64

Hawke64

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Steam:Hawke_404
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Favorites: